1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Self Evaluation is Healthy And The Importance Of Capital Letters

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HAYJON02, Nov 3, 2010.

1. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

We're constantly rounding third only to be thrown out at the plate. This season has been like many a sad adolescence. During an 82ish game schedule, 0-3 isnt so so bad.

This definitely isn't a thread about the importance of defense. WTF there? I havent seen a thread which properly explained what's been going on. I wasn't aware that the opposing guards would necessarily look like Matt Maloney in God mode. Is our perimeter D really that bad that it costs us games? It seems like we're making everyone look like Mario Elie and his lovely wife out there.

Does running Adelman's offense effectively necessarily come at the detriment of our defense? Are guys running around making cuts so frequently that they have trouble picking up their defensive assignment or closing out?

Besides all of that, I love watching the guys play this year. This team is full of pieces. They're fluent, fluid, fcourageous. I like how deep we are up front. We may not be a model of laterality on the defensive side, but that's true of our guards apparently. If I'm the wiz, I'm spending all my time getting PG who can play D and still toss the rock.

At least AB isnt being a real Randy Moss about his contract. This team is thankfully free of drama queens.

Sorry if its already been posted.

2 people like this.
  2. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

our #1 issue for the last 2 years is.............

Not having a bread & butter play for 4th quarter minutes.

For the last 2 years, I don't even know what our bread & butter play is.....They fix this, they can win a lot more games.

The Answer isn't
    -AB Iso? because he is a horrible playmaker
    -P & R? AB can't run it, Lowry sucks at shooting
    -Dumping it to Yao? Too bad he gets fronted or fatigued by than
    -KM Iso? I don't know...he goes for the foul calls too much, in the 4th he won't get them.

Maybe the answer is.
    -Scola? maybe? but so far, we refuse to pass him the ball.
    - KM/Scola pick and Roll?
    - High Post Yao, who is willing to take the mid-J

Defensively i know they can get better.

I think, this is the part, we do not have an identity and why we always look lost during times, when we need points.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good question. I remember JVG placing a high importance on transition defense, to the point that it hurt his offensive sets. I haven't done very much analysis on that overall, but one play that stuck out to me was against the Lakers: Kevin Martin drives/pulls up/misses, and the Lakers quickly ran with Shannon Brown nailing a wide-open three (no one picked him up and Martin was still way behind from trying to score himself).

Adelman has had successful defenses before the Rockets and with the Rockets, so I think they will get it fixed once he finds the right rotations (likely less of AB and Martin together).

4. van chief

van chief Member

our poor shot selection in the 4th quarter has killed us.

stop taking quick three's and we wont have to worry about those long rebounds and getting back in transition. Our D is bad but if we keep Yao out so we can have him for the last 4 min or so all we need to do is give the man time to run the floor and get down there. He isn't up to his old form yet but he is still the best big man we have, and he clogs the lane.

A big three of course swings momentum but if you have 4 minutes or more in the game getting down the court and setting up plays is what we need to do to win.

Get the ball to Scola or Martin late in games, run a pick and roll with them.

Yao is still rusty, but if we want to knock that rust off we need to get him the ball when he is in the game in the forth quarter or otherwise, and if it means we take losses now so he is in form at the end of the season so be it.