1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seeding Breakdown (BestCase for Houston)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beardaholic13, Apr 10, 2015.

1. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

If rockets got the 5th seed and beat porty, they would be facing the warriors and that will get ugly

2. count_dough-ku

Maybe. If Dwight can dominate Bogut though, that series will be competitive. The Warriors suck when he's not playing well. And besides, would anyone on here really complain about the Rockets making it to the 2nd round? Especially given the injuries we've had to deal with all season.

3. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

i think clippers get 2nd seed in this case assuming they win all their games.

4. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

You do have a point there, but if we can avoid the warriors till wcf, that would ideal.

5. count_dough-ku

According to Scribo, if the Rockets and Clippers finish 56-26 and tied for the 2nd best record in the West, the tiebreaker goes to the division winner. That would be the Rockets and the 2nd seed would be theirs.

1 person likes this.
  6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

Wait, Memphis has to lose two games for us to get to 5th?

7. count_dough-ku

If the Clippers and Spurs win out, then yes. Memphis has 25 losses. We have 26. They have the tiebreaker. So they need at least 27 losses assuming we win out.

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

Yeesh. I don't see that happening, unfortunately. Ending up facing the Spurs on the road after all we've been through would really suck.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Don't be so sure we are going to win the next two. Not given, not at all.

10. count_dough-ku

You don't think Memphis could lose at the Clippers on a B2B and then at Golden State on Monday? If the Warriors actually try to win that game, it could easily happen.

And don't forget the alternative. Memphis beats the Clippers. That would also allow us to finish 5th.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Don't bother with how others play. Let's focus on the next two. Why are you so sure we are gonna beat Pels?

12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

I kinda doubt Memphis drops them both. I'd be more willing to bet on Memphis beating LAC.

Sort of irritating that Jrue Holiday picks this weekend to come back.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

Who said they were sure? We're obviously discussing hypotheticals.

14. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

it's much easier to have the clippers losing to the grizz and us winning out so we can secure 5th. not sure about the grizz losing 2 more games, though it is certainly possible. indy and LA have something to play for but GS may rest their starters.

short of 2nd seed vs the mavs, who could still give us a run for our money, we should want to play a shorthanded blazers team.

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

If we lose the next one, this is all moot.

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

hypothetical
    adjective hy·po·thet·i·cal \ˌhī-pə-ˈthe-ti-kəl\

: involving or based on a suggested idea or theory : involving or based on a hypothesis

: not real : imagined as an example

17. boiler

boiler Member

Pels are fighting for the last playoff spot. It's gonna be a tough game against them without DMo.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Come on, your hypothetical doesn't hypothize we lose to Pels and/or Jazz. It's more like getting ahead of yourselves.

19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Member

Listen, I'm not an idiot. I UNDERSTAND WE COULD LOSE TO THE PELS AND/OR THE JAZZ. My question was what other things would need to happen for us to get to 5th assuming we won out. Posing that question doesn't mean I'm too stupid to understand that not winning out remains a possibility. Jesus.

20. count_dough-ku

That's fine if Memphis beats LA. Then we can still finish 5th by winning out. Although that would all but end any hope of winning the division.

As for the Pelicans, the Rockets should be able to win that one. New Orleans got destroyed at Memphis the other night by 36 points. They're a weak road team. The only games they've won away from home in the last 4 weeks are at the Lakers and Kings.

The other reason I think the Rockets win on Sunday is they'll be trying to avoid their first 3-game losing streak of the season. Plus they'll probably be more than a little PO'd about the 2 Spurs losses(especially Harden).