1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seeding Breakdown (BestCase for Houston)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beardaholic13, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

So, that means if the rox will somehow find a way to loae to the Jazz or Pels,

We will still end up to play the Spurs again in the first round, with us being the 6th seed.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Afflalo out 1-2 weeks with a right shoulder strain <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Blazers?src=hash">#Blazers</a></p>&mdash; Jabari Young (@JabariJYoung) <a href="https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/586637577337184256">April 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. count_dough-ku

The Blazers better hope that isn't 1-2 weeks like D-Mo.

In all seriousness, if he's out 2 weeks, he could miss 2 or 3 games in the first round.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Why are people assuming we're gonna lose to the Spurs tonight? Just because we had one bad game against them?

We just need to take care of business tonight, that's all there is to it. I kind of expected us to lose in San Antonio even though I had my hopes. By the same token I kind of expect us to win tonight.

5. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

That and the fact the Spurs are currently on a historic run of beating teams down, not just winning.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

They're still 6th seed at the moment--albeit barely. You can't just toss out the early parts of the season because they've been hot recently. That's typical GARM kneejerk bullsh**. People tend to weight recent performance WAY too heavily in sports, especially on ClutchFans.

7. torocan

torocan Member

You can when the Spurs were suffering from injury in both units through the early part of the season. Kawhi Leonard, Thiago Splitter, Patty Mills and Marco Bellinelli were all in and out of the roster due to surgery and other ongoing injuries.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/s...arting-lineup-returning-to-health-6150450.php

What we're seeing now is what is to be expected from the Spurs when they're healthy.

If they were healthy all season, they would most likely be clocking 62+ wins instead of being on track for 55 wins.

8. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

If we lose tonight we can still end up 2nd.

Memphis has to lose 2 games (which they probably will), the Spurs will have to lose one (maybe in New Orleans), the Rockets have to win out = 2nd.

9. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

With the BS no call , another game lost because the refs can't differentiate between a block and a foul....just utter crap

Now lets just hope Utah holds on and we root for lac to beat Mem....we have to get 5th seed much more than the 6th or well be in deep trouble...i just hope mem lose this game because it could be huge

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Now we are fighting for the 5th seed. Far from easy. NO is going to bring it all on Sunday. 6th seed would the worst case and a most probable 1st round exit.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

People are so excited 5 days ago when we were at the 2 spots which I reminded when we lost both games to the Spurs and we could probably ended up at the 6th.

And now suddenly people were all panic when they finally realize the reality - which we may face the spurs at 6th.

Actually that may not be a bad matchup and some people may find it hard to believe, the hack a Josh/Dwight tactic by the Spurs may actually help the Rox in the playoff.

Facing the Spurs will be much better than facing the Clippers.

12. count_dough-ku

I'll copy and paste what I wrote in the NBA Dish thread:

There are two scenarios I now hope play out. First is Memphis losing tomorrow at LA and then at Golden State, us winning out, and the Spurs losing at New Orleans in the season finale. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that gives us the division and the 2nd seed.

Scenario #2 is Memphis beats the Clippers tomorrow(and doesn't lose more than 1 game after that), San Antonio wins out, and we win out. That would give Memphis the division and the 2nd seed. The playoffs would be MEM/DAL, SAS/LAC, and POR/HOU(with us having homecourt). I'd be more than happy with that outcome. Can you imagine either the Clippers or Spurs having to go home in Round 1?

The only nightmare scenario I can see(aside from the Rockets p-ssing away one of their final 3 games) is if Memphis loses tomorrow, but then wins at Golden State and at home to Indiana while the Spurs and Clippers win out. That would leave the Grizzlies, Spurs, Clippers, and Rockets all with 26 losses, but we'd have the tiebreaker over none of them. Meaning we're stuck in 6th and facing I believe LA in Round 1 on the road.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Best case: 56 wins and Spurs with the tie breaker I suppose

14. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

What's the scenario where we get 3rd?

15. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

No best case is Houston win-out and SA lose at least one game. That is enough to pass them.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We'd need some serious help. I wouldn't hold you breath. 6th looks likely at this point.

17. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Clippers and Spurs miss at least one game and Houston win-out.

18. count_dough-ku

Spurs could still lose at New Orleans on the last day of the regular season. The Pelicans are still tied with OKC for the 8th spot. As long as New Orleans goes into Wednesday no worse than a game back of the Thunder(and not a game ahead with the 8th seed already clinched), they're still in the race for the playoffs. And since their finale against San Antonio tips off the same time as the Thunder's in Minnesota, they'll presumably be playing their asses off to win that game.

Then there's the Grizzlies with games at the Clippers and Golden State. If Memphis loses both of those, we can finish ahead of them if we win out. Or if they beat the Clippers, we can finish ahead of LA if we win out.

For the moment, the Rockets are stuck in 6th and don't control their own destiny anymore. But that's probably going to change by Monday night assuming we can handle the Pelicans at home and Hornets on the road. By then, we'll have a much better idea where things stand heading into Wednesday night.

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

We need to come at the Pelicans with everything we got. Put more pressure on them to play super hard against the Spurs the last game of the season. Wonder if Warriors will rest their players against Memphis last game of the season though. Oh well, the team put themselves in this position time to live with the result. Would still be nice to be on the opposite bracket of Golden State.

20. count_dough-ku

That's what scares me. If the Grizzlies lose tomorrow, that's great. But it's meaningless if the Warriors don't try to beat them on Monday(unless the Pacers somehow knock them off in Memphis on Wednesday). I really hope Golden State is after that 39-2 home record and prioritizes winning that game.