1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Securing Our Great Nation - PATRIOT Act Extended

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by El_Conquistador, Jul 21, 2005.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

"Why, of course, the people don't want war. Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece. Naturally, the common people don't want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship.....voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Reichsmarshall Hermann Goering

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The response of the liberals to the truth is very telling. Very telling indeed. Trivializing 9/11 by casually joking, "9/11 changed everything, huh conservatives" is incredibly disgusting, and these pictures have brought that home to you liberals. Hence the backlash.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you think you know the motives of liberals responding to your pictures guess again. Nobody was trivializing 9/11 in this thread except you.

You have shamed yourself.

4. bigtexxx

I disagree with you. Casually joking, "9/11 changed everything, huh conservatives" is by definition disrespetful of what happened that day. It takes a horrible, horrible situation and boils it down to a stupid partisan comeback. Awful. Wnes's comment deserves the ridicule, not my pointing out his error.

5. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

Oh thank goodness. For a moment, I thought bigtexx might apologize or admit that using 9/11 pictures to promote either conservative or liberal agendas would be shameful. I might have actually respected him and felt bad for typecasting him. Whew!

6. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

i think it has more to do with you posting pictures that are sad to see in anybody's point of view....pictures are a thousand times stronger than words...point is you don't need to remind everyone how horrific those acts were....

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I bet your have a whole wall of pictures like this that you look at everytime you wake up..

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm glad you edited your post, texxx. I had already edited my response, after I realized I had them in it.

Keep D&D Civil!!

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm not sure if all the families of the 9/11 victims want the Patriot Act. In fact, the wishes of the 9/11 victims were the first to go in the Bush regime.

Not that Bush hasn't used their names incessantly and without shame....

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Because the enemy is not limited to muskets and 16LB cannons?

11. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Supporting the P.A.T.R.I.O.T act is cowardly.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oh, what the hell...I'll take the bait. Please elaborate on this theory.

This should be good.

13. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Hell yeah I will mock the "9/11 changed everything" line. It is surely not more disrespectful than people - liberal / conservative / facist / whatever - exploiting those attacks to forward dangerous and unconstitutional and immoral policies and practices. "Sorry for the inconvenience, dude-who-I-think-looks-brown, you are going into a special camp, 9/11 changed everything...." Oh, okay.

Give me a break. Treating 9/11 like a carte-blanche to muffle all dissent and discussion is the biggest disrespect anyone could pay to those 3000+ people (other that posting pictures of their gruesome deaths on a basketball website...). The horrors of that day certainly do not exempt you or anyone from the tedious task of checking policies against the laws and principles of our nation, respecting those who disagree, reading documents like the constitution and the bill of rights, and learning from our disgraceful moments (Japanese internment camps). And you may say "oh no, we would never exploit 9/11 like that," but trust me, you do, and those pictures proved it. Seriously, Bigtexx, i rarely if ever call people out personally, but that was and remains massively offensive. Saying that someone does not take human life and death seriously just because he/she disagrees with you and/or calls BS on the "9/11 Trumps All Thougtful Discussion" argument is a major, major mistake on your part - you have a fundamental, T_J'esque lack of understanding about your political opponents. And if you think that we are mocking 9/11 by saying that line, let me explain something - we are not mocking 9/11, we are mocking YOU for not displaying the intellectual sophistication to see more than one side of serious, painful and complicated issues.

#113 CBrownFanClub, Jul 22, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

All the liberals are calling texxx's post shameful because they themselves look absolutely foolish after seeing that. You don't crack jokes about the Third Reich, "9-11 changed everything", Big Brother, etc after you see those pictures. You also don't grandstand on the principle of not inconveniencing a small number of Muslims instead of changing security laws. Those pictures made the liberals' argument look completely trivial -- and they know it. Hence their livid reaction.

It took graphic pictures to illustrate just how out of touch the liberals actually are on the Patriot Act discussion. Thankfully, the elected leaders in Washington are in tune with reality.

15. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

since you are not muslim i guess it does not matter to you...how typical. :rolleyes:

16. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Hi Trader, nice to see you again. Thanks for - as always - being inside my head, one step ahead, sharp as a tack, figuring out my thought processes. Well said.

Question: On first sight, how would you, or any other expert in the field of profiling, differentiate between someone who is "Muslim" and someone who is "just sort of brown."

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I guess I am not so cowardly as to surrender my rights (and thereby dissolve my convictions) for a false sense of security, regardless of weapon size.

All this grandstanding for America, yet you are willing to give it all up for nothing. I just can't understand - I guess I never will.

18. bigtexxx

1. Which rights in particular are you upset about giving up?

2. Are you willing to make any sacrifice for the war on terror? Anything?

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

But the whole point of the quote is that liberty is greater than safety no matter what the threat is.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

PATRIOT Act Extended

How did we go from discussing the Patriot Act extension to posting pictures/links of burned victims of the 9/11 terror attack?

Self-control.