1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Second Chance (Azubuike)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aussie rocket, Sep 28, 2006.

1. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

everyone's still on the Bonzi Wells thing...and that's fine...Im as pumped as anyone.

just wanted to bring some attention to our boy Kelenna. I'd love to see him make the team, at least for sentimental reasons. Dude's been through a fair bit. And so what if it's nigh on impossible to remember how to spell his name.

link:

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Azubuike_remains_positive_abou-190214-34.html

for the lazy:

HOUSTON -- Kelenna Azubuike hasn't attended more than a handful of NBA press gatherings, but he already knows what question he will be asked when he shows up for the Rockets' media day on Tuesday.

He'll be asked in a variety of different ways to talk about his father and he understands there isn't any way around it because his father is serving time in a correctional facility.

"I always get asked about it, but it doesn't bother me," Azubuike said. "I love my Dad and that won't change. What happened, happened. I'm just hoping he'll get to see me play in the NBA."

Since leaving Kentucky prior to his senior season in 2005, Azubuike has been hoping to add that twist to the story that has followed him on his path to the NBA.

The 6-foot-5 guard will begin his second NBA training camp Tuesday when the Rockets tip off preseason workouts inside Toyota Center. After spending the past season in the NBA Developmental League, the young guard is among a handful of hopefuls battling for a roster spot and a chance to work his way into Houston's backcourt rotation.

No one, however, has a story quite like his heading into camp.

The former Wildcats guard left Kentucky, in part, to help his family with finances after his Nigerian-born father, Kenneth, was sent to prison on fraud charges. Kenneth is beginning the second year of a four-year sentence.

Some hoops experts have speculated that Azubuike might have guided Kentucky to the Final Four if he remained in school for his senior season instead of turning pro. Some have argued that he would have been given a guaranteed NBA contract with another year of college experience. Some have even suggested that he would have become a first-round pick.

None of those arguments, however, have ever made Azubuike second guess his decision to leave early.

He believes things worked out one way or another for a reason and he's not looking back on the circumstances that led him to turn pro.

"What would have happened if I would have stayed?" Azubuike said. "Who knows? I try not to think about because nothing is gained by looking back. I've got to look forward and focus on my future."

During his college career, Azubuike led Kentucky in scoring as a junior and was named an All-SEC second-team performer.

He was expected to be one of the top returning players in the nation when news about his father's legal troubles surfaced.

Azubuike ended up declaring for the draft, but went unselected after suffering an injury before the 2005 NBA Draft. He went to training camp with the Cleveland Cavaliers, where he averaged seven points and three rebounds in five preseason games before being released.

The guard spent the 2005-06 season with the Fort Worth Flyers of the NBA Developmental League, averaging 12.6 points on 50.8 percent shooting.

Azubuike admits it's been a difficult journey going from the college game to pro level.

"The process has been hard," he said. "I didn't get drafted and I've had to work hard for my opportunities. Basketball, of course, is fun. But it's been a tough process to get to where I want to be."

Azubuike raised his stock some after a solid summer with the Denver Nuggets in the Toshiba Vegas Summer League as he made 57.9 percent of his shots to average 16.4 points per game. He had 25 points and six rebounds against Golden State on July 11.

Since turning pro, Azubuike has improved his dribbling and ability to get to the rim. However, he's still working on his overall game.

"I feel like I'm better off the dribble," Azubuike said. "But I know I still need to improve everything in my game. I need to develop a more consistent jumper and I need to consistently knock down three pointers."

Despite his uncertain future in the NBA, Azubuike is optimistic about remaining with the Rockets this season. He said he's trying to be a quick learner and hard worker.

He's hopeful that he'll have some good news for his father after training camp.

"I'm hoping that I can impress the team enough so that they'll keep me for the rest of the season," Azubuike said. "My goal is to make it and be able to play in front of my father. We still keep in close contact. With everything our family has been through, it would be a good story."

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

only way i see him staying is if we cut bowen (plz god) or he outplays jacobson

3. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Well...Jacobsen and Azubuike may both make the team on the Inactive/Insurance/practice squad.

My guess is Sura is likely to retire, Ryan Bowen may get shipped or cut, too... there might just be extra roster spots for both of them.

4. ymc

ymc Member

Guaranteed:

Yao/Deke
    Battier/Howard/Hayes
    T-Mac
    Wells/Snyder/Head
    Alston/VSpan

On the bubble:

Novak, Jacobsen, Azubuike, Sura (guaranteed but may retire), Bowen (guaranteed but may be cut).

My guess is that Bowen will be in but on IR. Sura retires. Novak and Jacobsen on IR. Sorry Azubuike! :eek:

5. BokitackledKarl

you forget JL3

6. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Azubuike seems like a decent player. Of course he isn't a world beater yet, but he seems like a guy who has gotten better ever since he got into the pros.

He might not make it with the Rockets now that Wells was signed. After all, Snyeder and Head are ahead of him in the depth chart. Jacobson brings in a shooters resume which is vastly different from Wells, Snyder, and Head.

But, here is to the competition for good Shooting Guard depth !!! :cool:

May the best guys win out.

Wells, Snyder, Head, Jacobson, Azubuike!!! Man there are a lot of SG on this team.

7. ymc

ymc Member

Oops. You are right. JL3 is also guaranteed to have a spot. Even less chance for our poor Aubuike. :eek:

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I have a funny feeling that Azubuike is going to make this team as long as he works hard in training camp. We want athleticism, defense, and shooting. He definitely has the first 2.

I really think Rybo is the odd man out and I don't think Sura is going to make it either. That leaves room for both KA and CJ, which is a good thing. We all want Sura back but if he can't go, he can't go. Hopefully he retires and JVG offers him a spot on the bench as a coach. Then all we need to do is start figuring out how to move Juwan. Yeah, he's a great guy too. But we need the cap space for next year and we need a better player in his place.

I can't wait to see our defense with Battier, Bonzi, and Snyder in there. I think we are gonna create a lot of havoc defensively. That actually may play right into Rafer's hands running the break too. Bonzi is a steal machine, plus Battier with the swipes and all the bad shots that guys take because they have to drive past the perimeter D and then pull up and take a quick one before they drive right into the teeth of our Great Wall.

Get the season started already.

9. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

I put his chances at 1% of making the 15 man roster barring a trade

10. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Poor guy, I don't think he has a snow ball's chance in you know what in making the team.

Rockets are now SG rich, WAAAAY too rich. Now, if Head gets packaged to get a PF, then he might get a chance.

I think Jacobsen has a much better chance of sticking because of 3pt %.

Rybo is someone JVC likes so he is not getting cut.