1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Seattlepi] Sonics reach new low in loss to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Davidoff, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

[Seattlepi]-Sonics reach new low in loss to Rockets

Wednesday, March 9, 2005

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/215169_sonx09.html

Sonics reach new low in loss to Rockets
    Six-point third quarter sends Seattle to second consecutive loss

By DANNY O'NEIL
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

The Sonics reached their breaking point before Tracy McGrady scored 11 points in the final six minutes of Houston's 97-95 victory last night at KeyArena.

Before Yao Ming scored six points in the final two minutes or Rashard Lewis missed a potential game-tying 3-pointer with nine seconds remaining. Before Mike James made the two free throws with four seconds left that rendered Ray Allen's game-ending 3-pointer meaningless.

Seattle snapped at the end of the third period. Or at least coach Nate McMillan's wipe board did when he slammed it to the floor after watching his team score six points in the entire third quarter. It broke into pieces, just like Seattle's offensive rhythm.

"Nate broke the little board," Allen said. "It was startling to me at that stage. We had only scored six points, and I didn't realize it. ... Now, looking back at the game, that was the reason we lost. That was one of the worst quarters that we've played this year."

Actually, it was worse than that. It set a franchise record for fewest points in a period. Seattle had scored eight points in a quarter three times, most recently in Miami last March, but this was the fewest points ever in any period for the Sonics. And though the outcome of last night's game may have been decided in the final minute, Seattle (41-18) actually lost it in the third quarter. That was the low point of a game that a psychologist would have diagnosed as schizophrenic. The Sonics outscored Houston 22-4 during one stretch of the first quarter and led by as many as 16. They were outscored 16-4 in one stretch of the third.

Yao had six points in the first half and 16 in the second. Lewis scored 21 in the first half and didn't have a point in the second half until he made a free throw with 1:40 to play.

That was just the start of the multiple-personality disorders on display.

Seattle scored 33 points in the first quarter, when the Sonics made five 3-pointers, but only 36 in all of the second half. The Sonics had six points total in the third quarter, committed seven turnovers and were outscored 22-6.

The Sonics totaled 10 points in the final minute of the game yet never were able to grab the lead. That's because the Rockets scored on every one of their final six possessions.

McGrady scored 35 points, Yao had 22, and Houston's All-Star pair scored 21 of their team's 25 points in the fourth quarter.

Allen led Seattle with 32 points, Lewis scored 26, and Seattle's All-Star double-play combination totaled 16 in the final period.

But look past the quantity to the quality. Allen's only field goal in the final five minutes was a meaningless 3-pointer at the buzzer. Lewis was scoreless during the first 10 minutes of the final period. His 3-pointer with a minute remaining tied the score, but McGrady made a 3-pointer just seconds later.

Lewis missed a game-tying 3-point attempt with 10 seconds to go on an inbounds play after McGrady missed a free throw that would have iced it.

"From the start of the play, the play was totally busted up," Lewis said.

The Sonics trailed 95-92 and had an inbounds at about halfcourt with 12.9 seconds left. The plan was to go for a quick 2-point shot, McMillan said, and a 3-pointer if open.

Lewis was waiting for Antonio Daniels to cut through. Instead, Daniels waved him on, and Lewis caught the inbounds pass with defender Ryan Bowen in front of him.

"I could tell it was off when it left my hand," Lewis said. "It was an off-balance 3-pointer."

McMillan said, "I guess he felt like he couldn't get to the basket."

Was the coach surprised when Lewis elevated for the shot with eight seconds left?

"The guy was all over him," McMillan said. "He probably had some room to go. But that was one play. We're down three. We don't have any timeouts. But we had control of the game before we even get to that point."

They had the game by the throat in the first quarter, outscored Houston 22-4 in one stretch. Seattle had 59 points at halftime, the Sonics' highest first-half total since Feb. 4 when they scored 66 against Charlotte.

And then came the third quarter Ice Age.

"We just stopped moving," McMillan said.

Seattle made 3 of 14 field-goal attempts overall in the period. Allen had two. The Sonics committed seven turnovers in the period, three on the final four possessions.

Seattle's last possession ended with Vladimir Radmanovic missing a 3-point attempt that wouldn't have given the Sonics the lead, but at least would have saved a sliver of face.

RECORD FUTILITY

The Sonics scored just six points in the third quarter last night against the Rockets, the worst-scoring period in franchise history.

Date Opponent Qtr. Pts.
    3/8/05 Rockets 3rd 6
    10/31/85 Nuggets 4th 8
    1/12/03 Cavaliers 4th 8
    3/12/04 Heat 1st 8
    12/21/01 Warriors 4th 9

P-I reporter Danny O'Neil can be reached at 206-448-8209 or dannyo'neil@seattlepi.com

-Edit- I would post more, but the other newpapers just chalk the game up to Yao getting away with murder and not being called for anything.... They also dont give ANY props to our D, its ALL bad shooting, never the team that shut you down:mad:

Is it just me or is lots of media people up there VERY bias?? I watched some Sonics TV guy on NBATV today and he was a total HOMER, atleast when Gene Peterson and others are on before the game on NBATV they try to call it even, not the Sonics media.. atleast the guy who wrote this above has some good facts and quotes...

#1 Davidoff, Mar 9, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  2. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Star players carry their teams to victory and that was what our stars have done in this game down the stretch :)

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If the D is great enough, it's considered cheating.

4. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

I give credit to JVG's adjustment in the second half defensively. We started to swarm and doubleteam Lewis and Allen and made the other guys beat us and it worked. That's some unbelievable suffocating defense against one of the best offensive teams in the league. It's not what the Sonics didn't do in the quarter (just missed their shots), it's more because of what the Rockets did defensively to cause the poor shooting.

5. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

When we do the same thing to them in the first round of the playoffs, then there won't be much room for discussion.

6. rocketsmetalspd

I also watched the game on NBATV. The announcers were homers. I just had to turn the volume down. The Rockets will get the respect for D come playoff time. I enjoyed watching the Rockets hustle out there. I was upset NBATV didn't have a post interview with the Rockets.:mad:

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Seattle's not doing jackshtt in the playoffs and tonite proved it. Big games and playoff series are won at the rim, not on 3pt bombs. Their team is schizo b/c you're never gonna be able to consistently drain 25 footers at a 56% clip. Obviously the Seattle media hasn't yet embraced this reality :rolleyes:

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

To be fair, Seattle didn't lose the game last night due to their 3-pointers. Their 3-pointers were the reason the were even close. They shot 52% from 3-point land. It was the 17 turnovers that did them in. They just kept throwing the ball away.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Ummm, yes, because they don't have an inside game and they were trying to line up 3 balls.

10. fa7999

fa7999 Member

I think that if they can drain 25 footers at a 45% clip, they will be mightly fine, especially considering if they are to shoot 50 3s in a game. That's 80 points right there.;)

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The playoffs will give them a nice reality check.

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

are you guys serious?!?!?? a group of us were watching the game on NBATV and we all thought their announcing crew was one of the most objective we've heard. several of us commented on that throughout the game. i recall several times where the gave the rockets props.

who in the hell were yall listening to???

13. haven

haven Member

I liked their announcing crew.

They did say, for example, "...and Lewis is fouled on his way to the hoop!" but "and the ref calls a foul as McGrady drives..." but I think every set of announcers does that.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Everyone's biased. It's just how it is with sports. You don't think all of us are biased?

Evan

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Us? Biased? Nah. ;)

How can you say that? I'm mean, its obvious that the Rox are the best team in the history of sports.

16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

It really does vary how biased announcers are.

I thought Sacramento's announcers were kinda biased. And they are, but it's really not all that bad. Despite being a total and complete jackass, Jerry Reynolds has proven to me to be an excellent evaluater and basketball mind. His partner, Grant Napear, is a douche, but usually he can be overcome.

Milwaukee's announcers, however, are just laughable. I simply can't understand how they have jobs. You would think the Bucks were a heaven-sent team that had never done anything wrong in their entire existence, and every other team spends their free time stealing candy from babies and punching old ladies.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. They were really annoying in the 1st quarter when the Sonics were on fire, I had to mute it for a little while.

But overall, I thought they did a pretty good job. Especially torwards the end.

18. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I didnt see the game, I only got to see the pregame stuff with some kinda sonic media guys he could have been their radio guy... I DIDNT SEE THE GAME ON NBATV, I watched it on FSN

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I really like Napear and I can't stand Reynolds. Reynolds thinks every King is the best at what he does in the NBA. According to him, that team has no weaknesses. Grant is a homer, but his calls are exciting and fun to listen to.