1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seattle woes during mid 90s

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Yodels, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Just watching the post game show on TNT. They mentioned the NBA is all about matchups and the Spurs have the Sun's number. Kenny then went on a tangent to his playing days and brought up how Seattle had the Rocket's number. Charles then went off and talked about it for a good 30 seconds...he mentioned how the Rockets lost 19 straight to the Sonics and how Hakeem kept on fighting the double team. He on the other hand would pass it out for good shots.

I remember it a little differently. When Seattle swept us in the 96 playoffs, Hakeem passed it out almost every time. It wasn't until he started shooting over the double team did we have any success in game 4. Also Barkley just backed himself to the bucket for a layup when playing Seattle. I admit though in general he was more efficient at kicking it out for open shooters.

2. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

As Barkley brings the ball up the court and shoots a three...

*clang*

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

As I remember it. The young Shawn Kemp was athletic enough to somewhat neutralize Hakeem and the Sonics defense was good enough and Payton in his prime killed our guards.

Barkely did indeed allow us to beat the Sonics. Charles could be right on how he did it. I thought it was just that Barkley and Hakeem were too much power and quickness for Seattle's front line.

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Come on, we all know full well that Seattle played an illegal zone. They played us back then a lot like Phoenix does today.

Bastards.

5. Astockmarketgod

Funny the Sonics were my favorite team those years...

against the best teams...they had at worst 3 to 1 records..

but against the weak teams... they had like 0-4 records..

kinda like the Rockets of today when they play down to the weaker teams...

I think there was two years in a row the Sonics got the no.1 seed in the west only to lose to the no.8 seed first round... that was so painful

6. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Exactly right-they always got away with it. They had out standing shooters. Detleff Shrempfh (sp?), Perkins, Hersey Hawkins- really good shooters.

Payton was a cypher- outstanding defender in his prime-the "glove"-he was an all NBA point guard.

They were really difficult to play for us. Had they not gotten away with the illegal zone defense-who knows?

Charles BArkley should not get all the credit for us beating them in '97....

7. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

IIRC, Seattle used to kill us on the boards back then, too.

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I used to cringe, kind of like when we play the Suns now, when we'd have to play the 90's Sonics.

That illegal D just killed us!

9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

at least we hear the "clang"

rafer alston shoots wide open threes and sometimes it hits nothing but backboard

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

even though they beat the rockets, i never really hated the sonics.

i liked kemp
    payton and detlaf got on my nerves

11. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Barkley was a slightly better passer than Hakeem. But that's not the reason he won the seattle series for us.

Seattle's game plan was to relentlessly trap and double Hakeem. They were able to do this because they had pretty quick guys at all the other positions other than center to bring the double. But when the Rockets switched to posting Barkley, Perkins was too slow to help on the double team. So he became a liability that the Rockets could exploit.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yall are blind. The reason we lost to the Sonics was Karl's semi-illegal zone swarms and REBOUNDING. Willis+Barkley=rebounds...

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I'll go for that. Nice to see we have so many fans from back in those days.

I hated playing Seattle back then.

14. madmaxu

madmaxu Member

As I recall, the Seattle Sonic and George Karl incorporated an 'zone' defense against Hakeem and basically dared the refs to call illegal defense every time down the floor....the refs swallowed their whistles and we lost every playoff series. O and Kenny guarding GP basically was equivalent to Rockets starting every game down by ten.

15. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

The whole damn reason we got Charles was to beat Seattle. And it worked. Didn't get the big one though. :(

16. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Shawn Kemp was invisible to Hakeem. That's why they had to play illegal defense. On the other end, Hakeem owned Kemp. I remember sequences where he blocked 2,3,4 blocks in one possession. In 96, the 3s were raining--the Sonics hit a ridiculous percentage. If Seattle played Chicago the same way they played against us, I could've seen them winning it all. They lost a couple games in Finals before they really hit their stride.