1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Seattle Times] Shawn Kemp attempting NBA return

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Chilly_Pete, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Ditto with the video. Kemp's dunks are probably the most powerful I've seen. Great highlights.

2. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Just watched the first 13 minutes of the video. Sick Sick Sick! The guy was a freakish monster. Didn't remember the coast to coast dunks. I'll watch the rest after work. Again, Sick Sick Sick!

3. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

That video is sick. I almost forgot some of the things he did.

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

some of yall that downloaded it need to remember to reupload it.

dont make me say it again... leeches yadda yadda :p

seriously...I'd like to see it...but cant get it till I get home tonight(on dialup out here)..so, if yall would be so kind.

5. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

BTW, I still think Kemp was a better player in his prime than Amare was last year. :p

6. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I wish Kemp the best in his return. He was fun to watch during his prime.

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

How is Amare better now, when he is a worse rebounder and rarely plays any defense?

I'm not saying Amare won't be better, but his overall game at this point is not.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My first reaction was, 'Man, this is sad. Leave it alone'. Then I read the article, and I actually believe that the guy can catch on somewhere and be productive. I hope it isn't Dallas.

9. magus_Doc

magus_Doc Member

Can u plz break it up and put it on ''yousendit.com'', its listed as 10 days for me to get the file through torrent. :eek:, thanks for the link anyways.

10. Agent94

Agent94 Member

The Sonics had us figured out but we could have easily countered what they were doing. That is what I hated about Rudy T, he would not adjust his offense.
    The Sonics would double Hakeem. Hakeem would kick it out to the perimeter. They would then swing the ball around the outside for an open 3. The problem was that the Sonics were quick enough to double and then run to the perimeter to guard the 3. All the Rockets had to do was send some cutters down the lane to counteract Seattle and they never did it.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

12. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

I thought you were referring to Hersey Hawkins. I seem to remember him having a few good games against the Rockets in his time.

13. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

you better hide your kids

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Overall game? Shawn Kemp never had an overall game. I stand my ground that he's one of the most overrated players in league history simply due to his rapid decline. Conventional wisdom would have it that he was on the fast track to the Hall of Fame had he not eaten his career away. That couldn't be further from the truth.

During his prime years of 93 through 98, his ppg averages spanned from 18.0 up to a whopping ( :rolleyes: ) 20.5ppg. Amazing defensive player? Revisionist history. He was good enough, but that jaw dropping athleticism should have accounted for more than a career high in blocks of 2.1bpg. In no other year of Shawn Kemp's career did he block 2 shots per game. He always averaged around 10 rebounds per game - good, but nothing to write home about like some would have you believe.

To compare, a guy who most of you would consider a schmuck and laugh if I said he belonged in the Hall of Fame - Pau Gasol - is averaging 18.0ppg in his career, around the same as Kemp's prime, and 1.8bpg, more than Kemp. He rebounds worse than Kemp.

Jermaine Oneal? Another guy you would probably laugh at me if I suggested Hall of Fame right now. In JO's prime years of 2002 through last year he averaged 19 once, and then 20 or more up until 24.3ppg this year, far more than Kemp in any year. He has averaged over 2bpg every year since 2000 with a high of 2.8. He has comparable rebounding numbers.

But it goes beyond the stats. Call Pau Gasol a weak lowpost player, but he is lightyears better than Shawn Kemp. Kemp is not even in Jermaine O'neal's league when it comes to low post game and drawing the double team. He can't put the ball on the floor like Amare. Shawn Kemp was never a go to guy that you could throw the ball to and ask him to create for others. Payton and Schrempf were the go to guys and the leaders. Shawn Kemp was just the beneficiary and used his mind boggling athleticism to his advantage. Those Sonics teams were so good not because Shawn Kemp was some Hall of Famer, but because he played well along with Payton, Schremp, Perkins, Gill/Hawkins, Nate McMillan, Dale Ellis, and Ricky Peirce. Take away the nice dunks and he's just another good power forward. Shawn Kemp would not make the All-Star team in today's western conference. Garnett, Duncan, Stoudemire, Dirk, McGrady, Kirilinko, and Marion are all superior.

He's Stromile Swift on steroids. Hell, I wouldn't put it past Stro' to reach Kemp's level of production given enough playing time. Though I'm reaching, you get my point.

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Just to add, you could never build a team around Shawn Kemp. He's a great secondary star, but as the best player on a team, the team would be lottery bound.

He's just a great additional peice to a puzzle, but he was never a focal point of an offense. Heck, you could even add Elton Brand to the list of guys who have had better careers than Kemp.

I never thought to myself before a game with Seattle, "damn, I hope Kemp doesn't go off." He was never guy that was going to go out there and dominate you. You worried about Payton completely dominating the game. You worried about Schrempf eating Robert Horry for lunch. You worried about Perkins' 3's.

I'll even say Yao Ming is a better player than Shawn Kemp. He can atleast dominate the way another team prepares for the game.

Stop overrating Shawn Kemp.

16. munco

munco Member

Going back to Kemp (in prime) vs. Amare now...
    Even if you think Amare is the better offensive player Kemp (in prime) was a better rebounder, better defender --> better player.

17. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

i think all the hate for amare is generating all the praise for kemp :p

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hmm... can anyone re-up this video? I'd appreciate it. :)

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ha! You've got to be kidding.

Yeah, the Rockets never had any problems with Kemp...

Maybe Yao is better, but it's too early to tell ~ I will say this Kemp dominated more than Yao at this stage of his career.

20. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

LMAO, funny stuff man. Hopefully you don't believe all that.