1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Seattle Times] Shawn Kemp attempting NBA return

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Chilly_Pete, Jul 24, 2005.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Damn right :D.

[​IMG]

He was also famous for his haircut :cool:.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Damm - German hero Detlef "The" Shrimp gots some hops. :D

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I don't think it's revisionist history at all. Amare couldn't physically matchup with Centers like Hakeem like Kemp could. People always look at offense to judge a player, but Kemp was a better rebounder and defender then Stoudemire, a better athlete and could guard centers and PFs better then Stoudemire could and had a better outside game eventually then Stoudemire has. Lets see Stoudemire do this for more then one season before you put him among the elite players.

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Maybe he means Nate McMillan?

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I remember as a kid, when Hakeem was a Rocket, I always wanted him to be the best big man in the game. I would honestly be dejected when I thought I saw an up-and-comer possibly display skills that were better than Hakeem. Of the times I can recall the following are the only players I ever had that fear about :

Roy Tarpley (what coulda been)
    Shaq
    Shawn Kemp
    David Robinson (haha)

... and that's about it. I still remember Kemp stuffing Hakeem. Kemp went up in the air and crossed his arms in the form of an "X" to do it. It was ridiculous to watch.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Come to think of it, they had a lot of bulldog types on that team... the one that came to mind for me was Dale Ellis. I hated that dude. But if all he did was shoot 3's then Sam Perkins sounds about right. :D

7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

had to look it up...

bulldog looking guy i was referring to was dale ellis. i thought he was with seattle longer, but he only played with kemp for a couple of years.

i forgot perkins was on those teams also. that was a bad arse squad.

edit... just noticed that dod figured it out in the post above mine.

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Unlike a lot of greedy basketball players, Kemp gave up money. That's right, no negotiated buy outs, he felt he was a problem and he gaveup the money. People like that deserve a second (ok third) chance.

9. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

I hated Detlef, mainly b/c he was on the Sonics and made some very clutch shots against us. But he was a very solid player. He put up some good numbers for a few seasons.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Damn right, Detlef was always a Rocket-killer, but man was he good. He was such a solid player out there, very few mistakes.

As for Kemp, I doubt he'll be able to crack a rotation. It's sad to see such talented guys throw away their career for drugs.

11. munco

munco Member

I figured I'd go away from the article shaking my head at Kemp, but I have to admit that there seems to be a lot more to him than I thought. I hope that he does comeback and play well.

Regarding Amare vs. Kemp in his prime, I'd have to go with Kemp. That guy was an absolute monster while Amare is only a monster froma scoring perspective. Kemp was a much better rebounder and defender. Amare should be the leading rebounder on his team and grab at least 10 a game.

12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

85-90% of 1996 Shawn Kemp = Mo Taylor, Reggie Evans or a dozen other PFs in the league. The NBA is all about winning, if he can help some team then he will get his shot. Remember Rod Strickland and Glen Robinson, all it takes is an injury for Kemp to get a chance.

13. Genuine

Genuine Member

Shawn Kemp was the man back in his day. Any have any highlight videos or anything to bring back the memories?

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Here you go:

[​IMG]

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Kemp was good but Amare (in my opinion) will be remembered as a better player.

Kemp's career stats
    14.6 ppg, 08.4 rpg, 1.2 blks, 1.1 stl, 2.6 to, 49% FG

Kemp's 3rd year
    15.5 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 1.9blk, 1.1 stl, 2.4 to, 50% FG

Kemp's prime (1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998)
    18.0 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 2.1 blk, 1.8 stl, 3.3 to, 54% FG
    18.7 ppg, 10.9 rpg, 1.5 blk, 1.2 stl, 3.2 to, 55% FG
    19.6 ppg, 11.4 rpg, 1.6 blk, 1.2 stl, 4.0 to, 56% FG
    18.7 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 1.0 blk, 1.4 stl, 3.5 to, 51% FG
    19.0 ppg, 09.3 rpg, 1.1 blk, 1.4 stl, 3.4 to, 45% FG

Amare Stoudemire's 3rd year
    26.0 ppg, 08.9 rpg, 1.6 blk, 1.1 stl, 2.4 to, 56% FG

Personally I liken Shawn Kemp's career to Shawn Marion. They're both explosive atheletes with long arms, good shot-blocking skills, great rebounders, quick to steals, strong dunkers, super leapers, good mid-range shot (Marion's is out to the 3pt line), but not the best low post players. They'll get you 20 and 10, but they're not gonna go Hakeem on ya and dominate the playoffs year in and year out.

Shawn Marion's career stats
    18.2 ppg, 09.8 rpg, 1.3 blk, 1.8 stl, 1.7 to, 46% FG

Shawn Marion's prime (last year in my opion)
    19.4 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 1.5 blk, 2.0 stl, 1.5 to, 48% FG

And in my opinion, I don't think the argument that the Suns play up and down should fly, because The SuperSonics played up and down, as well as most of the league back then.

And Shawn Kemp was in Barkley's league for like 3 years. Longevity counts for something, and also being the player that can score the points needed counts for something in my book too. Barkley rebounded better than Kemp, scored inside better than Kemp, and his jumper was just as good in his prime. Barkley was also a great passer and controlled the game as a the playmaker on the floor. Kemp was the finisher, Payton was the QB. Barkley is a Hall-of-Famer to be, a superstar. Kemp had a great 5 yr prime, but he isn't this guy who'd make Amare crap his pants or anything. Y'all need to stop with the revisionist history. Oh by the way, Barkley was 6'4" (listed 6'6") and dominating night in and night out at PF. He didn't have Kemp's athletic tools, but was still the much better player.

Charles Barkley's Career Stats
    22.1ppg, 11.7 rpg, 0.8 blk, 1.5 stl, 3.1 to, 3.9 ast, 54% FG

Charles Barkley's Prime (1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97)
    28.3 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 3.2 ast, 1.3 stl, 1.3 blk, 3.8 to, 59% FG
    25.8 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 4.1 ast, 1.6 stl, 0.8 blk, 3.2 to, 58% FG
    25.2 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 3.9 ast, 1.9 stl, 0.6 blk, 3.1 to, 60% FG
    27.6 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 4.2 ast, 1.6 stl, 0.5 blk, 3.1 to, 57% FG
    23.1 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 4.1 ast, 1.8 stl, 0.6 blk, 3.1 to, 55% FG
    25.6 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 5.1 ast, 1.6 stl, 1.0 blk, 3.1 to, 52% FG
    21.6 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 4.6 ast, 1.6 stl, 0.6 blk, 3.2 to, 50% FG
    23.0 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 4.1 ast, 1.6 stl, 0.7 blk, 2.2 to, 49% FG
    23.2 ppg, 11.6 rpg, 3.7 ast, 1.6 stl, 0.8 blk, 3.1 to, 50% FG
    19.2 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 4.7 ast, 1.3 stl, 0.5 blk, 2.8 to, 48% FG

16. diogenes

diogenes Contributing Member

was he able to keep up with the locals?

17. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

On the Kemp vs. Amare comparison, Kemp at his peak was better than Amare was last year, despite the stats. The Sonics teams Kemp was on were loaded offensively, but they didn't play racehorse basketball. If you put Kemp (at his peak) on last year's Suns, the Suns would have been at least as good. Put Amare on the Sonics roster and they wouldn't have made the NBA Finals. That all said, Amare will surpass Kemp because of his passion for the game. This is fueling Amare's improvement and the sky is the limit for him. Amare will never be as good a defender as Kemp, but he will improve enough.

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This article has some bad opions and a couple of outright lies/wrong inforation

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002398938_kemp24.html

"He was the best player on the court,'' Karl says. "No one can say he wasn't.''
    Karl refers to the 1996 Finals where the Bulls go up 3-0, nap for 2 games, and finish the Sonics up in Chicago for Jordan's 4th ring. I think a few people said Michael Jordan was the best player on the court

"I sit back today, and I look at TV,'' Kemp says, "and I see how they talk about Karl Malone, I see how they talk about Charles Barkley. And I know the look in those guys' eyes when they used to walk out on the court to guard me. To see the fear in those guys' eyes because they knew what they had to deal with.''
    Man, that weed really makes you lose your memory doesn't it?

He's doing the same thing now in his Houston home, puffing his chest and boasting about his back-to-back destruction of Barkley and Rodman in the 1996 playoffs.
    :confused: The only time Kemp ever played Barkley in the playoff was in 1993, when Phoenix won. Oh yeah, and in 1997, when Houston won.

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I have nothing but love for you man, but your memory has failed you twice now ( first time here).

1996 Seattle Supersonics
    Pace Factor: 96.4 (3rd out of 29)
    Pace factor is an estimate of the number of possessions per 48 minutes by a team and its opponents. So, in the games that the Sonics played, there were more possessions than all but 2 teams in the entire league.
    Offensive points per game 107.8 (7th out of 29). As I said, the entire league was up and down paced.

2005 Phoenix Suns
    Pace Factor: 98.6 (1st out of 30)
    Offensive points per game 111.9 (1st out of 30).

I don't think 4 points per game on 2 more possessions per game is a big difference. Seattle wasn't #1 in up in down in 1996 (their most successful year), but weren't the middle of the pack either.

Put Shawn Kemp on last year's Phoenix roster and they wouldn't have beaten Dallas. That said, I do agree with you. Shawn Kemp's prime had defense that Amare doesn't know how to play, yet.

20. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

I remember him back in the mid ninties, back then, the sonics were the rocket killers, mainly because of him and sam perkins. Perkins brought dream out to the perimiter because perkins was a center who could drain 3's. Then that left the middle wide open for Kemp to do his damage. Man he was so athletic and such a quick jumper, always scared me when seattle came to town.

(Thank god denver knocked them out of the playoffs in 94', i'm not so sure we could have beaten them).

That being said, I think if this guy could get into shape and stay in shape, he could start on many teams. His main attribute was his athleticism, and on thing about that no matter how good of shape you are in, your athleticism at 35 is nowhere near what it was at 20. So, it should be interesting to see. I'm pulling for him.