1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

seattle and the #10

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by futureman, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. futureman

futureman Contributing Member

there has been some speculation that seattle would "sell" their numer 10 pick. if so, what has the past market value for such pick been? also, how would that affect our cap?

there has been a lot of talk about trading with NO/OF for their picks. if the price for the 10 is not too high, i would keep the 8 and buy the 10th. probably better player than 12 and 15.

also, would NJ do SS for antoine wright? maybe add our second round?

and if sura is done, would any team looking to dump cap trade for him and our TE?

2. Diaw

Diaw Member

i'm sure they would love to ...

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hopefully Orlando will convince Seattle to trade the pick to them. Then we do the deal with Orlando. We send them #8 and next year's pick, and we take #10 and #11.

Orlando sends Seattle their next year's first rounder. We send Orlando our next year's first rounder to replace the #10 they trade to us. Orlando, in turn gets their man at #8, whoever it is, Golden State picks their man, and then we sit at 10 and 11. Hopefully JJ and Brewer are on the board.

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

No way Orlando trades for Seattle's pick. They're already sending a top 5 protected pick to Detroit next year for the Darko trade. And since 2007 is supposed to be so deep, only teams who expect late draft picks will agree to swap picks. Which is why I think we could get it if we wanted it. We should expect to make the playoffs next year, but it's not that much of a sure thing so that Seattle might think it's worth a gamble.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't know the validity (of course) of the Orlando-Houston draft day rumor. Apparently we swap picks and we send them Stromile and they send us Dooling and somebody else (matching salaries?) and the rights to Fran Vazquez.

If that's to be believed, then why not send the rights to Vazquez to Seattle, who won't play in the NBA for another year, for the #10 pick? Seattle doesn't want to add that salary this year anyway, and they would have a bargaining chip next year (Vazquez + their own first rounder).

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

seattle needs the money to hire an assistant coach. i guess they are planning on overpaying wilcox.

either way they would want to shed some spending for a year and getting rid of a first round pick would do the trick. they want a future first, cash to pay for it, and and an early second round choice this year.

we definitely have the chips to get it done. give them a future first (lotto protected next year, top ten after that), cash to pay for it, and #32.

we could draft brewer and either redick carney, or simmons.

7. RioGrando

RioGrando Member

Why don't we just offer out 2nd round pick for Seattle's #10. That way the contract isn't guaranteed, and if they REALLY feel that the player they pick at #32 isn't worth it, they can cut him. But if they like him, they can do a SnT to someone else to relieve some cap space.

That would be really sweet for us, but if Seattle doesn't find any takers to buy their pick, I'd lay that one on the table for them before offering a future first rounder, esp. if next year's draft is supposedly so deep.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If Seattle is truley serious about selling their pick then Les needs to develope a Larry the Cable Guy like attitude and Get-r-done.

The 8th and 10th spots would net us a couple of really nice role players if not more.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed! The "TIME IS NOW" for the Rockets to ADD QUALITY starter type players to the core of Yao and Tmac. We have a high pick, the highest it will be for some time (assuming things go well). Rockets have to take advantage of this moment to get some quality players here. At least some quality role players if nothing else, guys that are 'starters', and not bench guys.

If it takes Les to fork out money, now is the time to do it.

10. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

we would be in great shape if we got that pick, but lets get down to much more important issues. they are trying to vote that stupid bear clutch into the mascot hall of fame. whats up with that? how about bring back turbo?

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

IMO, this is why Mark Cuban's teams have been 50+ win teams now for over half a decade and he's done it with different groups of players. He never turns his back on an oppertunity to improve his team if he gets the chance.

Theoretically if we purchased Seattles pick at #10 we could still trade the 8th pick to Orlando for Stevenson or Fasquez plus their # 11 pick.

IMO this off-season looks like we have an oppertunity to increase the youth and talent on this team by quite a bit. I hope Les is willing to seize the moment and take advantage of it because we may not have this oppertunity again for a few years.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If Seattle wants to shed $$$s so badly and if they want another 4 then JuHo and a future for Shard, saving Seattle @25% and the likelihood of losing RL after this season (when he opts out for even mo'mon).

13. RioGrando

RioGrando Member

Letter to Les:

You can pick up #10 (via Seattle for cash), #12 and #15 (via trade of #8 and a current roster spot), and still pick up #32. That's a 4 player swing of major youth movement, without even touching the MLE or our TE!

The next step is to put ur foot down on Van Grumpy, who doesn't like coaching youngsters.

Sincerely,
    RioGrando

14. Rockets Dynasty

I've heard Seattle wants $3 million cash and a 2007 first round pick (top 5 protected) in exchange for their #10 pick.

Cheap Les and Moneyball Morey would never meet this demand with their current financial practices.

15. Rockets Dynasty

Swift for Wright and our 2nd rounder?

Surely you jest?

16. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Bad, weak draft...why trade in to draft twice?

Sure, picking up an extra pick for free would be nice, but any compensation, and we have to consider how much the pick is really worth.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

We oughta do that trade and entice them into it by removing the lottery protection from it. We aren't going to the lottery next year. We need to stack up this year with assets, especially when there are good role players available in this draft. Get the #10. Draft Brewer and J.J. If one of the big 6 falls to us, draft them and Brewer and then either keep them or hold up some team for value like Phoenix did Atlanta for Joe Johnson. If Toronto does not take Bargnani, there is very real chance that he falls all the way down to 8.

Getting the #10 pick in this draft for next year's pick would put us in a very strong situation as far as deal making. We would be able to add at least one starter and a couple of strong rotation players this offseason if we did it.

18. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Regarding the value of Seattle's pick; you only need to look back at the 2004 NBA Draft to see how a similar situation transpired when the Bulls accquired Phoenix's 7th overall choice for a future first rounder, the second pick of the 2nd round, and cash. It's almost eerily similar to the situation we have now, with similar assets for trade (our 2007 pick will likely be at lowest #20; a 45 win season will probably be enough for that). With that being said, if the deal to acquire the #10 was #32, a future first, and cash, I would probably turn it down unless one of the projected top 7 picks fell to 8 (Bargnani, Aldridge, Gay, Morrison, Roy, Thomas or M. Williams). I would then make the trade with Seattle and try to pick up Brewer or Carney with the other pick.

My reasoning is this; the Rockets will likely be Luxury Taxpayers next year assuming they use the MLE or the Trade Exception during the offseason, and giving away money in a year we aren't likely to contend seriously isn't smart business, unless you can make up for the lost revenue through a deep playoff run, which I believe we could if we were to acquire one of the top prospects as well as a rotational player, however, something that might not be possible if we were to simply come out of the draft with two rotation guys.

I am also a strong proponent of adding new and fresh legs every year through the draft, because youthful energy is infectious, and many rookies find themselves playing above expectations simply because they haven't experienced the grind of a long season, and don't comprehend the pressure they're under to win. Rookies are like shrimp cocktails; they're great to have at a dinner, but have too much of them at one time and you're feeling pretty sick.

So in short, if we're going to pick Ronnie Brewer at #8, then I'd decline the trade. If we're getting a slider from the top of the draft, I've got the Sonics on speed-dial.

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

Sorry, I would never want to give away our 2007 1st rounder. Who knows what will happen next season, but I don't want to miss out on Greg Oden and other great prospects if we somehow blow next year.

20. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

It's a calculated risk for sure. On the one hand if we bounce back next year, we'd probably land our pick in the 20s. Now even a pick in the 20s in a strong draft shouldn't be better or at least much better than a 10 pick in a weak draft. Add in the fact that we get a player one year earlier and he will have an extra year of seasoning over an '07 pick, and that adding a good player this year nearly directly affects our chances of getting a later pick next year, then it starts shifting in benefit.

I'm sure Morey knows what I'm talking about. He was doing risk management stuff before, this is just risk management as applied to the NBA front office.

And I bet Seattle would allow some kind of restriction. I'd stick a top 3 or a top 5 restriction in 2007 and gladly give it up.