1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Season defining moment?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tod the bod, Mar 8, 2001.

1. tod the bod

tod the bod Contributing Member

Anyone who has watched the Rockets for a significant amount of time knows that tonight was the type of game that the Rockets love to lose. The Rockets typically play down to teams like the Hawks -- teams that they should beat. And tonight looked like another one of those games.

Down twenty-two points, the Rockets somehow found a way to come back -- without Hakeem, without Mo. Clutch shots by Stevie Franchise, Walt Williams, and Mobely were not surpising. What was the most surprising was Cato's play. Watching him run the break and slam it home was truly amazing. And you knew that the Rockets were going to win when Cato hit his free throws. On a night like tonight, Cato finally looked like he deserved his contract. And the fact that Rockets were still able to win even after losing the lead late was also tremendous. Some teams fold in this situation. The Rockets typically would have folded. But this was not a typical night. This was a special night.

Okay, these were the Hawks. But nothing any detractor can say will convince me that this wasn't one of the greatest wins in Rockets history. If the Rockets find a way into the playoffs this year, tonight will be one of the games that they and we will remember for a very long time.

2. Houston Rocks

Houston Rocks Member

Yo Tod ,

That's one big fat mutha funkin "Herd JA!"

RoCks

------------------

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would have to pick another game as the seasons defining moment.

The game against the Knicks at home. The Rockets were just getting spanked in the first half much like tonights game against the Hawks. But they came out in the third lead by the Dream and stole what looked like an easy victory from the Knicks.

That was the game that turned the season around for the Rockets. More specifically the second half of that game. We have gone 11 and 3 since that game and have not endured back to back losses since.

Tonights game just proved to me that the Rockets never beleive that they are out of a game.

------------------

4. nalgar

nalgar Member

For some reason, you may think the Rockets may have destiny on their side.

Last night it looked like they were gonna fall back one more game from the 8th seed when they were down by 20+ and the Suns were 20+ up on the Kings.

Instead they gained one on the Suns thanks to two great comebacks.

Somebody's watching.

------------------

5. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, this was a huge comeback win for the Rockets, and I was especially impressed by Cato's 4-5 from the free throw line.

That said, I agree with an earlier post about the NY Knicks game. I was fortunate to be at that game. The first half of the game, I just about went hoarse from b!tching out the refs for blatant mis-calls, and talking smack to some Knicks fans sitting within shouting distance.

However, the second half was totally different. For the first time all season, it felt like the crowd was really behind the Rockets, after they played with heart & got themselves right back into the game. Everyone was on their feet watching Dream drop in some patented Dream Shakes, and when the game was on the line, if the crowd wasn't chanting DE-FENSE or giving the knicks some bad voo-doo, we were cheering our Rockets on to victory. I think that was definitely a turning point in the Rockets season ... at least at home.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i was at that first knick game too. the rox had to overcome all those offensive foul calls. both, steve and cat were "the man" that night. they took their team, and wouldn't let them down!

toast- where were you sitting? because i met a rox fan at that game that was telling off knick fans. he was making fun of charlie ward's tight shorts. [​IMG]

------------------

7. Toast

Toast Member

I wish I could claim that one, but I don't remember making fun of Charlie Ward's shorts.

I pretty much ripped on all the Knicks (particularly Spree 'cause the Knicks fans near by loved him so much) except Houston. That dude just wouldn't miss.

I usually pull out my A material for the refs, though. Usually gets a good laugh from the fans within ear shot.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think I'll wait to see if we make the playoffs or not (or really if we even compete for the playoffs) before I call this one of the greatest wins in Rockets' history.

------------------
    www.swirve.com...The reason Al Gore invented the internet.

9. Toast

Toast Member

I don't think I'll ever consider last night's win at Atlanta one of the greatest Rockets wins ever, but it was definitely (tied for) the largest comeback victory ever. And that should count for something.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm really happy for Francis. He won the one. That 3 was clutch. I really like to see him and Cato to claim that game as their's to win...digging down and not looking over their shoulders.

11. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

A win like that couldn't have happened at a better time. That has to be a HUGE morale boost for the team. And coupled with what must have been a totally deflating loss for the Suns, the Rockets may be able to get into the playoffs. It's all about momentum now. No back-to-back losses and we're in.

------------------
    Kenny Thomas had a foul called on him in the Western Conference Finals.

12. Gypsy

Gypsy Member

If the Rockets make the playoffs, that will be one of the biggest comebacks ever. (But not so great as the year we got Glide.)

And I disagree about the clutch shots by Francis not being surprising. In some way, they weren't because we've been expecting that from him all along. But he needed to be clutch in all aspects of the game to make this one happen, and that hasn't occurred on a consistent basis, yet. And besides, that kind of performance is always to cause surprise and wonder.

Great showing by Cato, and appropriate timing as we all knew that Hakeem was not going to make it to the playoffs injury free. Cato's play will be needed to keep Olajuwon healthy until then, giving him needed rest. And I agree, it is surprising--yet another case of an injured big man come back to make good on his word. We'll see if he keeps it up.

------------------

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think when looking at the Rocket's record
    people didn't take strength of Schedule
    in to account
    much less injuries and distractions

THIS TEAM HAS BEEN BUILT THROUGH ADVERSITY

It builds Character
    it Build HEART

Rocket RIVer

------------------