1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sean Taylor in Critical Condition After Being Shot

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3127928

MIAMI -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor was in critical condition after he was shot at his Florida home Monday, police said.

Miami-Dade County police officers were dispatched to Taylor's home at about 1:45 a.m. and found him shot. He was then airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital, police Detective Alvaro Zabaleta said. He didn't know where on Taylor's body he was shot.

The Miami Herald reported paramedics found Taylor with a gunshot wound to the groin. A family friend who did not want to be identified told ABC-TV 10 in Miami that Taylor was shot twice.

A brief statement from the Redskins said Taylor was undergoing treatment at the Miami hospital and that police were investigating. His family has asked that no information about his condition be released at this point, said hospital spokeswoman Lorraine Nelson.

Taylor has a home in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay that he bought for $900,000 two years ago.

Taylor, 24, is in his fourth season with the Redskins after playing at the University of Miami, where he was an All-American in 2003. He leads the team with five interceptions but has missed the last two games with a knee injury.

In 2005, Taylor was accused of brandishing a gun at a man and repeatedly hitting him during a fight that broke out after Taylor and some friends went looking for the people who had allegedly stolen his all-terrain vehicles.

Taylor reached a deal with prosecutors last year after they agreed to drop felony charges against him. He pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in the assault case and was sentenced to 18 months probation.

The man, Ryan Hill, also sued, seeking at least $15,000 in damages. Hill suffered bruising to his body, incurred medical expenses and lost wages because of the fight, the lawsuit said.

2. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

he was awesome on Madden 2006, young, fast, hard hitting! All he needed was awareness. Hope he gets back to good health.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

uh... he's probably gonna die. :(

2 close range gun shots to the groin.

not pretty.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I don't think anyone said they were close-range yet.. we'll see. Hopefully he'll be able to get through it

5. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I was reading espn comments and someone posted that they knew his dad and said he was already dead..hope they were lying.

6. askball

askball Member

well usually the espn boards aren't the most accurate place to gain information so hopefully that's the case here

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Sad. Hope he survives this.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Not dead yet...

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Good Lord! These NFL guys need to take steps to protect themselves somehow.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

ESPNews just reported that Taylor's wife reported that he is clinging to life and that doctor's are worried about possible brain damage and even death. No link but they just interrupted to give that update on ESPNews.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

He was shot in the femoral artery?

And didn't get medical attention for how long?

Man, its going to be a miracle if he lives.

Or at least lives a normal life again.

12. Nero

Nero Member

No kidding.

These days, it seems that if you have any kind of success in this world, all you are doing is setting yourself up to be a target.

This is a symptom of a much deeper, much more serious cultural and social problem that had better get fixed pronto or things are going to get much much worse.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Reminds me of that legendary post months ago by the dudes who followed Yao home to his house...

14. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Real classy by the AP to talk about Taylor's previous gun arrest at great length. As if they're saying that he put himself in this situation.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Groin Shot?

d*mn . . .

Rocket River
    Get well . . .

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah those dudes in that pic are marked when they head to China.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is ridiculous. It is highly likely he did put himself in the situation. He's been a bad apple with a bad attitude for awhile. It's no coincidence that these types of things don't happen to the Shane Battiers, Matt Schaubs, Derek Jeters, Alex Rodriguezs, etc. Tank Johnson, the linebacker Foley, Sean Taylor, Pacman Jones, etc. are constantly putting themselves in these positions.

18. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Clearly hes a "bad apple" as you put it and deserved to be shot at while in his own home and possibly bleed to death... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the media and people like you presuming he deserved this makes me sick.

just try and imagine what his wife or son are going through right now.

hope he pulls through.

19. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Well I've never heard of Sean Taylor before but this incident reminded me of Dunta Robinson being tied up in his own house earlier this year. I don't know Dunta or what kind of lifestyle he leads, but that is some scary **** no matter who you are. I really can't imagine what taking two slugs in the nuts feels like.

If I was in the NFL, I guess I would take pains not to flash money around. Covering myself in ostentatious wealth just ain't worth it when there are so many apparently desperate people watching. I don't know if that's what these guys were doing or what, but clearly these guys were targeted because they play in the NFL.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Dude, how do you put yourself in a situation for a "home invasion"?