1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sean "Slot Machine" Colson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shandon Anversen, Jul 27, 2001.

Tags:
  1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

"oh, and i remember colson hitting a few shots in garbage time last year. that and 50 cents wll get you a coke and rotten tooth enamel."

[​IMG]

------------------

2. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Colson as our backup PG scares me, especially when we could use that roster spot for one of our 700 SFs

------------------

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Denver just spent lots of money on a backup one-armed PG. Maybe we should have given them Colson.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Have you guys forgotten how Colson looked against the pros last year? Colson played pretty well.

Apparently I've forgotten. Colson played in 13 games last year and he only scored points in 4 of those games. Exactly which game was I suppose to be impressed by? Was it the one where he scored 6pts, 5pts, 3pts or 1pt? Considering those were garbage time minutes, I'm missing the significance of his play last year.

------------------

5. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

I think you are being a bit dramatic. For example, do we expect junior high point guard to be able to go left, or should we excuse their weakness and allow them to learn. Is Colson through learning the game? Is he really the worst point guard you have ever seen?

Nobody expects the guy to start for the Rockets. He is viewed as an inexpensive option in case of injuries, and nothing more. Personally, I like him for our 5th guard (IR), and I would love to see him play for a developmental league team.

------------------

6. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

I was impressed, and so was Rudy T. Colson is clearly the best one on one offensive player on the Rocket's Summer league team, and he can score against NBA competition.

------------------

7. aelliott

I have heard RudyT say he liked Colson's potential.

That was the point of the Hamilton comment. Rudy's style is to always say positive things about his players. Can you ever recall him saying anything negative about one of our guys? At the least, he'll talk about their potential and how they fit in. I actually agree with his approach, it's just that you can't really put too much stock in him mentioning a guys potential (since he does that about everyone).

No, that is kind of like playing well against very good competition. All of these guys are capable of playing European Division 1 basketball or better.

Uhh..you obviously haven't see Saul Smith play.

I totally agree. I think Colson is either a 12th man, or a guy for IR. He is not, however, a terrible point guard as the title of this thread suggests.

I'll agree he could be a 12th man or an IR guy, but he could also be out of the league.

I watched him play, and Colson's game can't be interpreted through statistics. He is quick, and can get separation from his man to get his shot off. Defenses can't ignore him, or he can bury the open shot. He plays with confidence. He is a either a great CBA or European player, or an NBA bench rider, but to call him the worst point guard in the league is not accurate nor fair to Colson.

I was responding to your question of "Have you guys forgotten how Colson looked against the pros last year? Colson played pretty well". Fact of the matter is that he didn't play very well when he got into games. Against NBA competition last year he didn't get separation from his man and he didn't hit open shots.

------------------

8. aelliott

Cuttino Mobley at the 1? He's a great player but he's one of the biggest black holes in the league. When the ball
    goes to him it's either clanging off the rim or going in the hole.

Hmm..let's think about that:

Mobley - 38min/game - 15.4 shots/game

Vince Carter - 39.7min/game - 22.1 shots/game

At least we know that Mobley isn't the biggest black hole in the league.

------------------

9. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

Sorry guy, but you are wrong on this one. Rudy specifically pointed out how much he liked Colson's potential in the interview that I saw. Another poster just told you that Mobley raved about Colson in a Philly newspaper interview last week. Without hearing what Rudy T said, you can't judge his comments so dismissively.
    You and I both know that Smith is on the roster as a favor to Tubby. Saul Smith rarely got off the bench. Anybody who knows basketball realizes that the talent playing at the Rocky Mountain Review is excellent.
    Every 12th man is close to being out of the league. What is your point?

Well, I saw something I liked in Colson, as did Rudy T and Cuttino Mobley. We all thought he played well against NBA competition. Maybe Colson will get a chance this year (I hope not, because that probably means somebody is injured) and this matter will be settled on the court.

------------------

10. aelliott

sorry guy, but you are wrong on this one. Rudy specifically pointed out how much he liked Colson's potential in the interview that I saw. Another poster just told you that Mobley raved about Colson in a Philly newspaper interview last week. Without hearing what Rudy T said, you can't judge his comments so dismissively.

What am I wrong about? Are you disagreeing that Rudy only says positive things about his players? If you are then show me something negative he's said about anybody. He liked Thomas Hamilton's potential, he liked Bryce Drew's potential, etc... Read any Rudy interview about a young player and he'll say something good about the players potential.

You and I both know that Smith is on the roster as a favor to Tubby. Saul Smith rarely got off the bench. Anybody who knows basketball realizes that the talent playing at the Rocky Mountain Review is excellent.

Excellent by what standards? We're talking NBA here. By NBA standards, the RMR level of play is terrible. 75% of the rosters have no prayer of playing in the NBA and most of the guys that will be on rosters, will be bench warmers. Add in the fact that the teams have had almost no preparation time and have no structure on offense and are playing very little defense and it's not even remotely close to NBA level.

I'll agree he could be a 12th man or an IR guy, but he could also be out of the league.

My point is that guys like Colsen (small one dimensional guys) are a dime a dozen. You can always go out and get a guy like that anytime that you want (the CBA was full of them).

Well, I saw something I liked in Colson, as did Rudy T and Cuttino Mobley. We all thought he played well against NBA competition. Maybe Colson will get a chance this year (I hope not, because that probably means somebody is injured) and this matter will be settled on the court.

Again, I'll ask, when did he play well against NBA competition? He didn't score, he didn't shoot well, he didn't run the offense well. Tell me something tangible that the guy did that is suppose to impress me. Sorry, but "Well, I saw something" isn't too descriptive or convincing (but it is very "theCat"-like). If you can't even come up with something that he did well, then how can you expect others to be impressed by him.

------------------

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited July 28, 2001).]

11. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I'm sure in those 1.7 minutes Cat could get a good 8 or 9 shots off.

[​IMG]

Seriously though, if the situation gets bad enough, Mooch leaves, our only other choice at PG is Smith, Moving Mobley to the one for spot minutes wouldn't be a bad idea at all

Rodney, give it up...
    [​IMG]

You wont win

------------------
    The title will come to ClutchCity once again.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The reason Colson made the roster last year is because Rudy wants a 3 PG for practice sessions. That is all.

Think about it. If we are to practice a 3 guard lineup with Moochie, Francis and Mobley....who is going to run the PG position on the opposing practice squad. No one, unless you sign a 3rd PG.

Rockets Fact: We feature Moochie, Stevie and Mobley in the 4th Q, not out of necessity, but because they ROCK!

We need a 3rd point guard merely to run the offense for the practice squad. Colson or whoever that is will get no playing time. The 3rd guard is NOT an insurance policy due to injuries, as you fill that in a second in a pinch. The 3rd guard is needed so we can practice a 3 guard rotation.

Rudy is on record saying this last year.

It is insignificant that Colson can't go left, if he never b****es and the team likes him. Come on verse, why are we talking about Colson??

A 3rd guard will be on the team. Maybe IR, but there will be one.

13. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

aelliot, lol, I don't think it would matter what I typed to you, I would receive a contradictory argument.

For example, Rudy goes out of his way to initiate a comment in which he praises Colson, and you pretend like Rudy talks that way about all rookies. You are wrong.

Rudy may normally answer questions about his young players with positive enthusiasm, but his statements about Colson were not responses to any reporter's questions.

As for describing the quality of NBA Summer League competition, and evidence of Colson's talent from last season, you are merely arguing semantics.

Colson will only see playing time if somebody gets injured, and even then he will probably only play garbage minutes. Nevertheless, he is not the "worst" point guard around, and he has the ability to make an NBA team one day (imho).

------------------

14. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

One more thing- Colson was a CBA all-star last year before he was called up to play with the Rockets. Your statement that "the CBA (is) full of (guys like Colson) is proved untrue by that award.

------------------

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Sounds like Vince Carter! Actually Flutie, not to rain on the parade, but in Mobley rookie year he STARTED at the PG spot, and the Rockets made it to the playoffs with the 4th best record in the West (as a 5 seed because the Lakers held the tie breaker), and he is MUCH better now then he was then, so Mobley CAN run the point in limited action.

------------------
    What if I say to you that the universe is a three-legged horse, eh? What then?
    - Russell Hoban

16. aelliott

For example, Rudy goes out of his way to initiate a comment in which he praises Colson, and you pretend like Rudy talks that way about all rookies. You are wrong.

Rudy does say positive things about all of his rookies. If I'm wrong, then show me some place where Rudy hasn't said positive things about a rookie. Forget rookies, Rudy only says positive things about any player regardless of level. I just searched the Chronicle archives and I couldn't even come up with a negative comment from Rudy about the Maxwell situation in '95.

As for describing the quality of NBA Summer League competition, and evidence of Colson's talent from last season,you are merely arguing semantics.

How is that arguing semantics? You made a statement about Colsen showing us something last year against NBA competition. The RMR is nowhere near NBA competition. That's not semantics, that is a fact. Are you claiming that the RMR is NBA level competion?

Colson will only see playing time if somebody gets injured, and even then he will probably only play garbage minutes. Nevertheless, he is not the "worst" point guard around, and he has the ability to make an NBA team one day (imho).

First of all arguing that he's a CBA or European level player, does nothing to show that he's not the worst PG in the NBA. He could still be a CBA all-star or European level player and also be the worst PG in the NBA.

Secondly, you're arguing the wrong thing to the wrong person. I never even commented on the "worst PG" issue. I was responding to your questioning us about whether we saw him play last year. I did and he didn't do anything in those games. I asked you to back that statement up and explain what he did that I was suppose to take note of.

You haven't explained anything. You've commented about statements that Rudy and Mobley made, but that has nothing to do with anything that we would have seen Colsen show against NBA competions. However you choose to interpret Rudy's statements (which by the way you haven't shown us), at best he's refering to what Colsen has done in practice. Since we aren't able to see practices, then I'm still waiting to hear what it was that he did in games (the only time that we were able to see him) that made this great impression on you.

Did you actually see him play and were impressed by something or is your entire opinion based on the fact that somebody said something nice about his potential? If you saw something, then tell me what it was, but don't tell me what other people said or what Colsen has done in a summer league.

See my problem with this? I interpreted your original statement to mean that you were impressed by Colsen's play from last year. Since he didn't really do anyhthing in the 13 games that he played, I was trying to find out what it was that you were so impressed by.

If you're just going by what somebody else said about him, then nevermind. But, if you actually saw him play and you can point out those things that he did really well, then I'd like to hear them.

------------------

17. aelliott

One more thing- Colson was a CBA all-star last year before he was called up to play with the Rockets. Your statement that "the CBA (is) full of (guys like Colson) is proved untrue by that award.

Being a CBA All-Star doesn't mean that you're necessarily the best player for the NBA. CBA all-stars are typically scorers. That's why NBA teams have often signed the non-all star player instead of the guy that made the all-star team. Go back and take a look at past CBA all stars. It's a long and undistinguished list.

------------------

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Think about it. Rudy never says anything bad about anybody. He's even refrained from outright bashing of Snottie Quitten. The fact Rudy said he liked Colson's potential doesn't really mean anything. Rudy likes everybody's potential or they wouldn't be on the team.

From what little I saw of Colson and from the reports of people who watched the game, Colson is too SG-oriented to run an offensive attack. I'm more looking forward to seeing Griffin and Morris play with a PG that knows how to distribute the ball; like a Moochie Norris.

------------------
    "Colson makes a mockery of the PG position. It's like he's out there playing 1 on 9." -- pippendagimp with some candid player evaluations.

19. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

LMAO, you refuse to address specific points, and head off to tangents unknown. You said that there are many guys like Colson, but clearly that is untrue.

Colson was second in scoring and third in assists last year. He can score against NBA competition, and he showed me good athleticism last year. Mobley is on record as saying Colson has great potential. This sentence is to see if you even read my posts, because you ignore comments of mine and ask questions that I already addressed.

Perhaps we should agree to disagree, because I think if I said the sky is blue, you would contradict me! [​IMG]

------------------

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The guard play killed the Rockets that year. That was not a shining moment for Cuttino.

I actually didn't think Colson looked that bad. He went left plenty of times. Who played point for the Jazz? You probably don't know, because he wasn't a factor. Colson was one of the few on the court who actually had an impact on the game -- getting steals, and hitting a big three near the end. I'm not saying he's great or anything, just not that bad.

------------------
    "Is that good for us?" --Rudy T, after Starks missed that 3 in the '94 Finals