1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sean "Slot Machine" Colson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shandon Anversen, Jul 27, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Shandon Anversen

sean colson, based on what i saw last night, has to be the worse point guard i have ever seen.

1. did not distribute the ball well
    2. did not identify the hot player(s)
    3. poor, poor, poor entry passes
    4. poor, poor, poor shot selection

but the biggest of all...

5. REFUSED TO GO LEFT. dude is a one arm bandit. a slot machine.

on the other hand, darren kelly did an admirable job at the helm.

2. tozai

tozai Member

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I remember him going left for a pullup jumper at least once.
    If Moochie leaves for some reason, Colson will not be a good backup 1, and Kelly is not going to be signed by the Rocks most probably, even though I liked his play alot, and from DH's reports it sounds like yesterday wasn't the only time he played well.

Get RAFER

------------------
    I've got long signature envy

3. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

Colson has proven that he can score against NBA competition. I can envision playing Colson at the 2, and Mobley at the 1 in case of injuries. I think he is a good option for reserve guard (12th man or IR status).

------------------

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The more I see Colson, the more money I want to pay Moochie.

------------------
    The Muffin Man is seated at the table in the laboratory of the
    Utility Muffin Research Kitchen... Reaching for an oversized chrome
    spoon he gathers an intimate quantity of dried muffin remnants and
    brushing his scapular aside procceds to dump these inside of his
    shirt...
    He turns to us and speaks:

"SOME PEOPLE LIKE CUPCAKES BETTER. I FOR ONE CARE LESS FOR THEM!"

Arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snoot of a fully charged icing anointment utensil He poots forth a quarter-ounce green rosette near the summit of a dense but radiant muffin of his own design.
    Later he says:

"SOME PEOPLE... SOME PEOPLE LIKE CUPCAKES EXCLUSIVELT, WHILE I
    MYSELF SAY THERE IS NAUGHT NOR OUGHT THERE BE NOTHING SO EXALTED ON
    THE FACE OF GOD'S GREY EARTH AS THAT PRINCE OF FOODS... THE MUFFIN!"

5. Curly

Curly Member

THANK YOU! Colson is terrible! Go right, go right...and oh yea...go right. At least that's what he did when he wasn't turning it over, or dribbling into a croud. No way this guy gets a contract.

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

6. cson

cson Contributing Member

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I see better PG's playing street ball here at the Goat Courts in NYC. I'd rather the Rox pick-up one of those guys b4 signing this fool Colson. As I posted in another thread, Colson makes a mockery of the PG position. It's like he's out there playing 1 on 9.

------------------

8. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

Have you guys forgotten how Colson looked against the pros last year? Colson played pretty well.

Personally, I don't care how any of the Rockets are playing right now. A guy like Colson will play a much different game in the summer than when the real training camp starts. Do you really think Colson should run the offense through Jensen or Dench? No, he is the best option right now most of the time. When Colson plays with the real pros, he will give up the ball much more.

------------------

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I was impressed, and so was Rudy T. Colson is clearly the best one on one offensive player on the Rocket's Summer league team, and he can score against NBA competition.

How do you know Rudy was impressed? Just because he's on the roster? So, was Thomas Hamilton.

The best one on one player on our Summer league team? Consideing that Langhi, EG and Morris aren't really one on one types offensively, is that really all that impressive? That's kind of like being the best post up player in a 6' and under league.

We don't have any roster spots available for free agents. Except for Langhi, EG and Morris, nobody else has a shot at making the team. The rest of those guys are just bodies to fill out the roster. How about we judge things just by overall ability? Colsen is at best #4 on the summer league team.

But, back to your original statement, what did Colsen do last year (against NBA competition) that was suppose to show us something? He certainly didn't score, so what was it? He doesn't even attempt to do much else.

------------------

10. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

I have heard RudyT say he liked Colson's potential.
    No, that is kind of like playing well against very good competition. All of these guys are capable of playing European Division 1 basketball or better.

I totally agree. I think Colson is either a 12th man, or a guy for IR. He is not, however, a terrible point guard as the title of this thread suggests.
    I watched him play, and Colson's game can't be interpreted through statistics. He is quick, and can get separation from his man to get his shot off. Defenses can't ignore him, or he can bury the open shot. He plays with confidence. He is a either a great CBA or European player, or an NBA bench rider, but to call him the worst point guard in the league is not accurate nor fair to Colson.

------------------

11. Shandon Anversen

really, sean colson, IMO, is a sg trapped in a point guard's body. and it's a small body at that.

think mahmoud abdul-rauf without the hand-is-quicker-than-the-eye release point.

he's bryce drew w/o the ability to go left and the ability to run an nba offense. nevermind. it's not even fair to compare him to bryce - who is becoming an nba journeyman.

and, as for his quickness, i think kelly off the dribble, is actually quicker. the only advantage i'd give colson over kelly is his ability to pull up off the dribble. this, of course, is based on one game of seeing kelly.

and, as for the Jr. high statement...i'm obviously overstating. make that at any professional level.

[This message has been edited by Shandon Anversen (edited July 27, 2001).]

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Colson has some game, albeit all offensive, but he has some. That being said, he was merely insurance last year.....desperation insurance, incase of a Francis and/or Moochie injury. All teams need insrance.

I don't think he has a guaranteed roster spot. Is he a terrible point guard? I cannot answer that. He can score some, and has some quickness. But I have seen little playmaking ability from him (the little we have seen him anyway).

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

13. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Sorry, freaky double post!!

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited July 27, 2001).]

14. tozai

tozai Member

I wouldnt say Sean is THE WORST pg in the league, but an interesting note is what Cuttino said about Colson's game
    I don't know who posted it, but a week ago someone posted an article about Cuttino's community involvement in PHilly, and in the end of that article he talks about how good EG and Sean Colson can be. Just an interesting note, so go find the article. It was from a Philly newspaper...I think Kim posted it

------------------
    I've got long signature envy

15. Flutie

Flutie Member

Cuttino Mobley at the 1? He's a great player but he's one of the biggest black holes in the league. When the ball goes to him it's either clanging off the rim or going in the hole.

[This message has been edited by Flutie (edited July 27, 2001).]

16. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Flutie, Cuttino does what Rudy tells him to do. If Rudy tells him to shoot, he shoots. If Rudy tells him to pass, he passes. He played point guard his rookie season and was not criticized for shooting too much.

------------------

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Um, I don't intend to be completely rude, but you are going to go away when something happens in relation to Hakeem and Toronto, right?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ottomaton (edited July 27, 2001).]

18. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

C'mon back Mooch. You are everything is that Colson is offensively, plus you play better defense and know how to PASS THE BALL TO TEAMMATES.

Don't think there is room or a need for Colson unless one of our guards is out (bite my tongue!).

19. Shandon Anversen

through jensen or dench, no. but many times, eddie griffin was on the floor with him and he COULD NOT get the ball to him.

you'll notice that at the ~3:00 mark, he was YANKED from the floor. WHY? because rod rhodes picked up on "slot machine" colson's amputated left arm. he shadowed him so bad it was embarassing. colson's amputated left arm effectively cut off the left side of the court.

FROM A POINT GUARD THAT IS INEXCUSABLE AT ANY LEVEL!

20. Shandon Anversen

oh, and i remember colson hitting a few shots in garbage time last year. that and 50 cents wll get you a coke and rotten tooth enamel.