1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sean May

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, May 15, 2005.

1. DaneB

DaneB Member

If we draft a power forward in the draft I really think we should get Sean May. Im surprised he is not being more hyped than he is. On NBA Draft.net, they have him going #15 to the Nets. How could this be after he completely tore it up in the tourney in route to the National Championship. This is what it says on his ESPN player profile:

What do you all think :confused:

2. DaneB

DaneB Member

By the way his stats were:

17.5 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 1.2 stpg, and 1.0 bpg. During the postseason he averaged...

22.3 ppg and 10.7 rpg!!! :eek:

I would think that he would go number one, but then again I havent heard him hyped that much, so Im not sure. But he would be awesome to place in the frontcourt with Yao Ming, Dikembe and Juwan Howard.

3. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

He will be a top 5 draft, so stop dreaming.

4. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

He's Nick Collison without the scrappy play. The reason he had good stats is because he would overpower college kids. He's not very athletic and he's 6'9". To survive in the NBA you have to be really good at something (shooting, rebounding or defense). He does a little bit of everything, but doesn't distinguish himself in any one area. He is not an NBA player

5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

After watching him grap 20+ rebounds multiple times I would say he has found something he's really good at. Like Mario Ellie, dudes got heart. Very vocal leader. Would look great in a Rocket uniform. He might lack blocking abilities but he would make up for it with his Inside play and rebounding.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

7. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

His offensive game will suffer big time in the NBA. Defensively, he will have trouble against a lot of PFs. I compare him to Kenny Thomas, with Thomas having better offensive skills and May (maybe) being the better rebounder. Thomas is also quick enough to take the ball to the hole; May is not.

Unless he turns into Dennis Rodman on the boards, this guy will not be a star. His NBA career will live and die with rebounding. He's a possibility for our late first round draft pick.

8. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

sean may... who?

sean may... who?

sean may... who?

9. tedwhite

tedwhite Member

I'd rather have simien, they are pretty much the same player, except May is fat.

10. haven

haven Member

Err...except that (1) May is 2 inches taller and (b) isn't skinny. Fat is bad, but so is too skinny. Additionally, Simien was an excellent college rebounder...but I think May was even better at it.

11. a yao

a yao Member

Simien is skinny? at 6'9"/255lb? :confused:

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

May and Simien are both listed as 6-8 in terms of height. I guess we have to wait for the official measurements to come in for us to be really sure. I noticed that he was somewhat shorter than his team mate Marvin Williams though.

His weight could be an issue....266 pounds and counting is a lot.

Sean truly reminds me of the Clarence Weatherspoon of the 76ers fame (but I am not sure if he can dominate like Spoon did). I also see some Bison Dele (Williams) in him.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I don't want any of these kids. I want to be in the Finals next year. We need a man under the basket. We need someone like Kurt Thomas watching Yao's back in the paint.

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I think your brain is just making you think that because they look similar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. fa7999

fa7999 Member

great college player who finally brought a NCAA title for the perennial choker......but dude will be a bench warmer in the league, very unfortunately.

16. cwww

cwww Member

I think we don't need a star, all we need is a good young role player... and what can we expect from a 24th pick? Sean May may not even fall to 24th, if he did we should grab him immediately, he has proved that he's a very hard working player in the NCAA tournament...

Or else, Wayne Simien is a very good choice for us if he does fall to 24th...

(and btw, the one who reminds me of Spoon is Ike Diogu...)

Well, I'll be more than happy if the Rockets end up with one of the following players at 24th:

Sean May
    Raymond Felton
    Deron Williams
    Joey Graham
    Wayne Simiens
    Ronny Turiaf
    Dwayne Jones
    Danny Granger
    Rashard McCants

Say no to Hakim Warrick, he's not the player that we need...

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

We had Sean May on the roster, his name was Mo Taylor.

I would rather we focus on a more atheltic rebounder or athletic swingman.

18. cwww

cwww Member

We need an athelic baller who doesn't think that he's a superstar...

and yeah we even have Andrew Bogut on the roster, his name was Scott Padgett :rolleyes:

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I agree that we need an atheltic PF that can do the dirty work, and while I like May's hands and his touch around the basket I dont see him as a good NBA rebounder or shot blocker and thus I dont see him as a good fit around Yao. I dont think it is a stretch to compare Mo Taylor's offensive game to May's.

20. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I like Sean May, but the Mo Taylor comparisons scare me. He is a much better rebounder and if his work ethic is better, I definitely wouldn't mind picking him up. We don't need a star, just someone that can rebound and still be an offensive threat. One thing that does worry me is I don't think he can come close to defending Dirk, KG and the athletic PF's.