1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Scouting]Consolidated Thabeet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by utcarbs, Feb 25, 2011.

1. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

Various Scouting Reports/Analysis of Thabeet

General Consensus

Strengths: Size and Defense, can run the floor (speed), has good form behind jumper/shot/free throw, work ethic

Weakness: Started playing a years back = low IQ, no back to basket game, offensive game is raw due to low IQ and lack of training and development. Struggles against physical post players (DeJuan Blair in College), bad footwork

Best NBA comparison: Mutombo

A few highlights below:

Hasheem Thabeet's value comes from his defensive ability, but the development of his offensive game will be integral to his success in the long-term and determine how he is viewed as a player. From DraftExpress.com

Is still extremely 'raw.' Isn't very authorative down low, lays in the ball instead of flushing it home, and defensively doesn't get as 'amped' as one might want from their shotblocking big man. Is a bit soft overall, and needs to develop some toughness to hang with the NBA's post players. Also needs to look for the ball more often, sometimes hides dormant on the offrensive side of the ball, completely wasting his minutes. Rebounding effort needs to increase on both sides of the ball, as does overall effort. Has a long way to go before becoming polished fundamentally.

A big-time rebounder and shot blocker an excellent athlete who runs the floor very well, explosive leaping ability with good hands. Does a great job of getting initial post position by using his body wide and sealing off his defender. Shot blocking skills are top shelf, has learned to be a very patient that rarely bites on pump fakes.

"Where he has problems, is with physical players that bump and grind. DeJuan Blair ate him up when they played and scored a lot of baskets down low. Michigan State played him extremely physical as well and did a great job of neutralizing him. Players that are strong and have a low center of gravity have been able to box him out and at times score on him down low. My opinion, this is all coaching. Hasheem needs to learn the proper footwork on how to hold your post position and how to counter many of the moves opposing players are using against him"

The team drafting Thabeet cannot look at him as an impact player on the offensive side of the ball, because that’s not his game. Thabeet’s game right now is on the defensive side, and he guards the rim, like few others before him. His help defense is specifically designed for the NBA. When you go to the hoop and he slides over, you need to pass the ball or he’ll make you eat it. It’s like trying to shoot over a tidal wave. Hasheem also does a great job of waiting till the last second before committing, so the pass to his man isn’t such a gimme.

There’s one thing he does, that I have never seen anyone else do in the history of the game. I’ve seen him dunk the ball and actually rise higher after the dunk. It’s happened when he has been fed the ball and is all alone, but it’s like he dunks it on the way up, and then rises up another six inches before the aircraft carrier begins it downward descent.

2 people like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think it's good then he's getting in the gym against some very physical post players in Scola and Patterson. Also playing against Hayes is going to make anyone better.

A lot of people say we need to give him to Hakeem, Deke, whoever. But they need to realize that the Rockets have a great big man staff here right now.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Thanks man, I was just about to look up this info!

From the reports, it seems pretty straightforward that he has some great tools and needs to utilized as a defensive player presently and develop an offensive game later. Luckily for us, we can allow him to do that. Play the dude 20-25 minutes a game without worrying about his production/ liabilities. He needs coaching and in-game experience.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Good to know he has good work ethic

That's all i wanted to hear really, we all know he is raw, but with work ethic anything is possible

5. marky :)

marky :) Member

Let Jack Sikma work his magic on him. Maybe he can become a decent role player for the rockets.

6. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Woah woah. Strengths -> WORK ETHIC? What's this?

If so, I'm psyched for this young man. :eek:

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

he better not train with our trainers (weight training) thats for sure. Got a feeling with his work ethic they might just break him.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

All of our post players atleast learn Scola's tango move, which is good. Maybe he can pick that up.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

"Where he has problems, is with physical players that bump and grind. DeJuan Blair ate him up when they played and scored a lot of baskets down low. Michigan State played him extremely physical as well and did a great job of neutralizing him. Players that are strong and have a low center of gravity have been able to box him out and at times score on him down low. My opinion, this is all coaching. Hasheem needs to learn the proper footwork on how to hold your post position and how to counter many of the moves opposing players are using against him"

Wow. Maybe, just maybe, Chuck can teach this guy something. Chuck's game is what gives Thabeet fits. Hayes better get an extension!

10. Rockets_4_life

I like this part of the report:

I've been telling people all along, Memphis did not have the right coaches and mentor's in which to develop this kid, but the Rockets do.

11. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

I agree that getting some playing time against Hayes and Scola might improve his footwork and make him a tougher defensive player.

The general consensus from reports state that he needs A LOT of one on one time to accelerate the development of his offensive game. He doesn't have much basketball experience so learning to play offense against Hayes might help him improve drastically.

We also have Sikma and Hakeem. If anything, Thabeet has the resources available to him to become a productive player.

It comes down to his BBIQ and heart for the game.

12. Htown's2kFinest

Rockets should kinda mold him like how they molded Hayes in some way. Hayes made himself into an Anthony Mason on defense. Give Thabeet tape on Mutombo and let him study his game. Tell him thats what they want from him. All this stuff about he has no post game, no shot, no offense... whatever...Forget offense right now. Mutombo was never a offensive force himself. Get him rebounding, moving his feet, and blocking shots. That all you can ask of him and that's all we need from him.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I think too many have written off this kid's potential. Memphis did not have the history or apparently the patience to work with a big man.

He may be a bust when all is said and done, but with his potential and pedigree, I'm willing to see what a change of scenery and Rocket coaching can do for him.

Like others have said, with Chuck, Sikma, Dawson, and our history with big men, the kid may become serviceable.

Thabeest or Thabust?

14. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

I think initially this is the correct approach to take with him. Make him serviceable and then add on. Everyone can appreciate his defense but I think with patience, good training, and time Thabeet can become productive on the offensive side.

Right now, he has incredible athleticism and speed. Add some strength to that build and he's a monster around the basket. He also has a jump shot that is okay but will definitely get better with repetition. He'll be able to shoot jumpers over other plays just like Yao.

After the jump shot, develop his footwork and back to basket game and see if he can dominate on the offense.

15. albuster

albuster Member

It looks like this scouting report was done prior to the 2009 draft. Folks should pay attention to the scouting reports after he was drafted and the season and a half after that.

One telling scouting report is that he has lost interest in basketball after he got his first paycheck and now spends more time in the mall than in the practice court and training room.

He is a big time bust and the pre draft report on him will be the kindest he will ever get. The biggest busts from the 2009 lottery picks are now with the Rockets and Morey, Smith of the Texans, and the Astros GM are turning Houston from Clutch City to BUST CITY. Disgusting.

16. anchel

anchel Member

He needs desperately muscle and weight, like Jordan Hill. Yao weighs easily 40-50 more pounds than him.

With players like them, I can't believe teams that draft them (knowing they are faced to very crude players) show no patience and call them busts after... months, not even years. If you have to be normally patient with every young big man, logically more with raw guys like Jordan and Hasheem... And I guess you draft them knowing it, so... I honestly would not draft guys as them that high (Favors included)... but once you got them it's totally moronic to give up on them after the 1st or the 2nd year. One of the most representative ways of throwing away a privileged pick.

I expect patience from the Rockets with those 2 guys. I don't care if they can't play, if they are rotten on the bench, but don't give them away at least until the 4th year.

17. Htown's2kFinest

Yeah problem will be if he'll get playing time here or sit on the bench like he did in Memphis. And not just a little playing time too. Deke didn't put up the 13-13-3 most nights (back in his prime days) playing like 24 minutes a night. He got 36-38 mpg.

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Who the heck are they???????????????
    They didn't do much to improve Yao Ming' s game?? :p

I would bring in Hakeem or CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

19. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Just tell him to play defense. Dont worry about making post moves right now. He will score on offensive rebounds and assists from penetration. I like the fact that we have thabeet, Hill, and Patterson all young bigs with some talent. Just gotta develop it and bring it out of them. In 3 years we could have a dominant frontline that is still young.

20. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

CD, do your magic dude!!!