1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scout to SI: "Rockets are one of the most overrated teams" + "Lin can't be a starter."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Oct 24, 2013.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

A lot of people on this forum probably would have agreed with him last year.

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Atlanta or Dallas scout, that is salty he said no to them... Anyways I dig all the doubters because they are going to look dumb when we bring home the Ship!!

3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Meanwhile Morey...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

TradIng Howard for Aldridge would be straight up r****ded. This guy seems really biased. To the point where it's hard to take him seriously.

5. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Agreed with the article up to the line before "The Rockets are one of the most overrated teams in the league."

6. trock

trock Member

He admits that Dwight can carry a whole team to the Finals, but then credits that to SVG for 'staying on him.' Essentially, he's calling Dwight an emotionally r****ded baby. I hope Dwight reads this.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Yes and those same people would be wrong. There is certainly more of a risk of Howard dogging it or flaking out, but he is a vastly superior player.

8. Apache

Apache Member

it sounds like this scout missed out on Jeremy Lin and now feel bitter. How he say they'll win a lot of games but will loose in first round. funny scout.

Why don't this scout put his name and face on it? be a man, own it. You can't assume that it's a Lakers scout. could be anybody.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, there are a lot of dumb fans in the GARM, what else is new.

10. joe101

joe101 Member

Sounds like the scout from the Moneyball.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

The only person(s) who knows enough about what is going through Dwight's mind to qualify to make statements like this is Dwight himself, and possibly his spouse.

I very much doubt that Dwight is the one saying this. So unless this person is getting ****ed by Dwight every night, how the hell would (s)he know what Dwight cares/doesn't care about?

12. moose

moose Member

Lol I stopped reading when he proposed trading Dwight

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

The points brought up weren't really new or all that controversial.

The Rockets have brought up the perimeter defense issue themselves. Parsons wasn't as good on defense last season, it was his offense that improved. I think McHale called out Parsons a couple times over his poor decisions on defense.

Barring the digs at Dwight & Lin most of that could of come from the Rockets.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. I agree that Dwight Howard will be a big upgrade as far as offense around the basket goes. Not only will he himself score a bunch of high % baskets, he will also draw a ton of defensive attention even when he's just hanging around the basket waiting for a pass or a rebound, making it easier on Harden, Lin, etc. to penetrate. I don't get the scout's argument about Howard clogging up the paint. The team never had a problem with paint clogging when Asik was playing C, so why would it be worse with Howard (unless we are talking about the likely relatively small portions of the game when they play together)?

Moreover, Dwight will draw a ton of fouls, putting the team into the penalty earlier and given guys like Harden more opportunities to get to the line.

I do think, however, that fans will get frustrated with Dwight's hands sometimes this year. He is a high turnover guy and seems to lose the ball quite a bit in traffic (kind of like Yao Ming in this area).

2. Asik only averaged 30.0 mpg last season, meaning that the team didn't have a paint protector for 18.0 mpg, which is 37.5% of the game a really huge portion of the minutes out there when you consider that the team was 6.5 points per 100 possession worse without Asik around.

So, even if Dwight Howard is just an exact clone of Omer Asik (and Dwight is not, he is better), acquiring Dwight is still a huge deal for the team.

15. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Lawls, on point.

16. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

I laughed when notable losses showed Royce White. Of course he makes the same mistake of saying people will want Parson's to take on Asik's massive $15mm contract, but that doesn't count against the cap, so I'm not sure I can take anything he says too seriously.

17. Breaker

Breaker Member

lol @ Lin part

18. Nook

Nook Member

Well then the "scout" doesn't know as much as some fans that follow the team. The perimeter defense suffering last year was in part by design. The Rockets went out of their way to prevent being beaten inside because of easy of baskets closer to the basket. The strategy worked, the Rockets PPS inside was elite, and was poor outside. The Rockets had perimeter players purposely sag inside. Coach Bickerstaff and Sampson both have discussed that this season the Rockets will adjust their strategy with Howard and the success of Asik.

19. Apache

Apache Member

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

What's funny is I'm pretty sure the exact opposite is true. If you want to talk about teams "built for the regular season, not the playoffs", the precedent is with teams like Denver in previous years -- deep but without multiple top-tier players. Candidates could be the Clippers, Golden State, Memphis, etc. On the other hand, I don't think there's much precedent at all for a team with multiple All-Star talents to perform significantly worse in the playoffs than the regular season.

You can say a lot of things about the Rockets, especially given the inherent uncertainty before a season even begins, but I don't think "built for the regular season" makes any sense at all. This is an agenda-driven hit piece that SI was happy to publish because it would get them clicks and generate discussion. Best thing we can do is not click and ignore the troll as best we can.