1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Scotus] Hobby Lobby wins case

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jun 30, 2014.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I'm willing to bet people will make an effort to shop at HL due to their position.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

How much money a month were you spending at HL? Seriously I cannot remember going in there, what do they sell.

That chicken place that hates gay people never lost money.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why *exactly* are you so upset?

Rocket River

4. Major

Major Member

I don't think the Hobby Lobby owners would have an issue with it either.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Almost no one follows through with boycotts, Americans are way to ADD for that. Worst case, a small group of customers boycott for a week or two making almost no difference in their bottom line and then they forget.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

True. There are people who are against the concept of birth control in the year of our lord 2014. Except I don't think they have Hobby Lobby in Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, or Yemen.

7. Major

Major Member

Agreed - but even with that, I think as a business owner, if I make a controversial stand on some issue or other, I expect the consequences and am OK with them. If I wasn't, I wouldn't make the stand in the first place. The beauty of being a privately owned business is I can do that - I don't have to make maximizing profit my only, or even primary, objective.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not pitting profits above all else . . . is unamerican

Rocket River

9. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a Christian and don't recall seeing a large chain craft store sitting next to me in the pews last week.

Glad to see you're being so charitable in your language, friend.

1 person likes this.
  11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Most of the liberals here don't even understand what they're arguing...

12. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

This.

13. tallanvor

There are people for individual liberty too.

14. CometsWin

The individual liberty for a company to deny basic contraceptive insurance coverage provided by 99.9% of companies as a standard practice? Really? What next, no immunizations covered? No blood transfusions covered? No pain killers covered? A list of investments they won't match 401k on? How about no paternity leave for unwed mothers? How about not covering baby deliveries for unwed mothers? At what level of stupid do we set the bar?

15. tallanvor

If 99.9% of companies offer it then we might as well go ahead and force that other .1% to offer it right? Makes sense......

not sure you know what liberty is.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No; but for people with commercial rent, payroll and ongoing lending relationships it's pretty impractical. There's more behind maximizing profit than greed.

Gradually causing oneself to be dependent on others or derelict on one's obligations when opportunities and mechanisms are in place that allow otherwise is un-American.

17. CometsWin

Yeah, makes pretty good sense. If you own a company you're not exempt because you're a religious fundamentalist.

I know what you think liberty is. You think you can be a part of a modern society and still do whatever the hell you want. That you shouldn't be compelled to adhere to accepted modern standards and practices. Preventing contraception coverage, having people die without healthcare coverage, or people go bankrupt by medical bills is liberty in your mind however in the minds of people here in modern America its backwards ass stupidity, the kind of thing you expect to see in some backwards ass paradise of liberty like Afghanistan and not in a first world nation. We don't want your 1800's America. We've learned from the past, maybe you should catch up.

18. tallanvor

it makes so much sense that you are now trying to make a new argument? I thought we were suppose to force them because 99.9% of companies already do it? what happened to that argument? Now its because their belief system doesn't justify exemption? that doesn't make sense. HL's belief don't make them exempt form anything. Everyone is exempt from this, no matter what their belief. Are you suggesting companies now need to prove their religious beliefs to the government in order to be exempt from legislation? I can promise you that's false.

Nope. That would be anarchy. Not sure anyone really supports that these days.

#198 tallanvor, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  19. Buck Turgidson

Gotta be, how the hell else could you knit their headgear?

20. Major

Major Member

The majority of businesses in America are "lifestyle businesses" - they are designed to provide a reasonable income that makes the owners happy, but they are not focused on maximizing profit. Think of something like a convenience store owned by a family - their goal is to make a good living, rather than maximize profits, expand, etc.