1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SCOTUS] Fisher v. University of Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hustle Town, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think AA is the wrong solution to a real problem. AA is trying to solve a problem but not the root of the problems and that is not very effective. Students in poor or uneducated family need a helping hand. Before you blame the student or family, some are just unfortunate with less parental guidance and opportunities (parent working all the time to survive, parent with low skills or lack much education). Identify these at risk students early on and help them with additional resources. I think the return in that investment is good and is fair. We are helping kids after all, including those that may have been disadvantaged from American society.

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Everyone takes the same SAT, so the standards on that are the same (there is a reason they call is standardized testing). DC schools are getting more than twice as much money per pupil as Washington state schools, but DC schools rate among the lowest while Washington state schools rate among the highest. If school expenditures are the culprit, why do poorer schools do better than richer schools.
    This is only racially discriminatory if black students are INTENTIONALLY misidentified as special needs or not gifted. If someone is using some sort of objective criteria, and the criteria doesn't work, they need to switch to something better, but it would not be an example of discrimination.

3. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

yeah, if the poor just pulled up their bootstraps...:rolleyes:

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do you know anything about early childhood development?

A poor family will more likely have parents both working full time menial jobs and lack higher education which means that there is a more significant chance that their children as infants and toddlers won't have as much time spent with their parents drilling them on reading, math etc. This is the stage where higher IQ is developed.

Also, I noticed this with South Asian and East Asian culture. Parents absolutely drill math to children as young as 3. I remember my mom was teaching me math 2 levels higher than what they were teaching me in grade school. I'm sure many Asian children here have similar experiences. It's a large reason why that more than 50% of my AP Calc class way back when I was in high school in good ol' Sugar Land were of South Asian and East Asian decent.

#144 fchowd0311, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Is this a conceptual example? Why would rich parents have more time to spend with their kids than poor parents? Also, there is the chance that children are partially raised by grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.

Maybe some families just do not set the good example that their kids need to succeed – which has nothing to do with race based AA.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Of course they will, that's overthinking it a bit.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, okay. I wouldn't hire her. Not even to pour coffee.

Most open job searches have scores of candidates. This woman, for years, will be pretty famous as an under-qualified applicant who sued a major university for not gaining entrance. Can't imagine the nightmare of having an employee that entitled, and most employers are looking harder than ever to avoid legal hassles.

I've seen entitled employees wreck whole units of a company, with years of stupid litigation. I don't see why anyone would risk it, unless she really distinguishes herself in some majorly positive way moving forward.

8. fchowd0311

Because professional careers allow more flexibility than 50 hour work weeks at a menial job. Also, families that are more wealthy tend to have the luxury of having one parent stay home more during infant years. If two professional college educated individuals marry, when ever the mother births a child, they have a greater chance of having the luxury of having the mother(sometimes father) take a two to 3 year hiatus from their professional career. When both parents are performing menial jobs with barely above minimum wage salary, they can't afford having one of them take a couple of years off. Also, since the United States doesn't have a federal mandate on extended maternity leave, it's up to the discretion of the employer if they are willing to provide extended paid maternity leave. Professional careers are more likely to have benefits such as extended paid maternity leave than an odd job.

9. Cohete Rojo

Your examples show that parenting is a greater measure of a child's academic and overall success than their parents' financial status. I don't see how the poor white kid in the trailer park in Santa Fe, Texas has any advantage than the middle-income asian kid in a house in Alief, Texas.

10. rage

rage Member

I think it is an imperfect solution to a real problem.

11. fchowd0311

Because the parents of the poor white kid probably don't have the luxury of taking extended time off to nurture a infant's mind. Also, I'm sure less educated parents are less equipped in understanding how to nurture a young child's mind than college educated parents with a professional career.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I said one is not very effective and another as having a better return in investment. Nothing to do with perfection.

Beside, if you want a perfect solution to any complex human problem, welcome to perfectionist spinning night and day on solution that go no where beyond paper and pen.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Looks like this is finally over (for now). The Supreme Court just upheld UT's affirmative action plan on a 4-3 vote (Kagan recused herself again). Kennedy voted with the other three liberal justices in the majority. And since this isn't a 4-4 vote, this is actually a precedent setting decision.

In addition, Kennedy arguably reversed himself. In the original Fisher case that was remanded to the lower court, he argued that the lower courts had given too much deference to UT. This time around he argued that universities should have a level of deference to implement policies that promote things like diversity that are important to the university mission.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Her face says it all
    [​IMG]

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

all that money and time spent just to lose. She could've graduated and started her career by now.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But no, she paid lots of money for branding herself as a not distinguished entitled brat. Oh well. Still think she interns and blogs w drudge or some similar path.

17. Cohete Rojo

Says she graduated LSU and works as a financial analyst.

Hate much?

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nah, but damn is she still thirsty.

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a reminder, Abigail Fisher was a mediocre student whose case never made sense because hundreds of minority students with better grades than her were also denies admission. Proud of my alma mater for fighting her and beating her in the Supreme Court twice.

https://www.propublica.org/article/...-abigail-fishers-affirmative-action-case-is-r

She felt she was too good for CAP, which many students had to go through in order to go to UT Austin. She is an entitled brat who can't handle not being admitted to a slot she never deserved.

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Maybe Amy can go to Texas Southern.