1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Scott Weiland Records With ex-GnR Members

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsPimp, May 8, 2003.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Scott Weiland has recorded a second song with the band featuring ex-Guns 'N Roses members Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum. McKagen and Sorum attended the taping of Metallica's MTV Icon show Saturday and said they've contributed an original song titled "Set Me Free" to The Hulk soundtrack to go with the already announced cover of Pink Floyd's "Money" for The Italian Job. The five-piece band, which has been referred to as The Project--although Sorum and McKagen refused to confirm that the name is "set in stone"--also includes ex-Wasted Youth guitarist Dave Kushner. The Hulk premieres June 20th, three weeks after The Italian Job.

The band had been auditioning singers from all over the world, but Sorum tells us they knew Weiland was their man the minute he walked into the studio. McKagan says they hope to release an album next February. He calls the two soundtrack songs, "a good way to start this thing. Number one, it puts a little money into our thing so maybe we can do our own record and license it out, but it's also a good way to see what it's like in a studio situation with Weiland."

STP singer joins Slash and Co. for "Money"
    The singer of "The Project" -- the band featuring former Guns n' Roses members Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum -- has not yet been announced, but heavily tipped candidate Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots will front the band for at least one song. Weiland recently recorded a cover of Pink Floyd's "Money" with the ex-Gunners for the soundtrack to director F. Gary Gary's upcoming remake of the 1969 British crime comedy The Italian Job, which stars Mark Wahlberg, Edward Norton and Charlize Theron.

"Scott is doing this one because that's the voice that they wanted and they like working with him," a spokesman for Slash said, adding that the group is still auditioning a number of other vocalists. Among those vying for the job are former Skid Row singer Sebastian Bach (who, the source said "desperately wants to come back again"), Days of the New singer Travis Meeks, Lit singer A. Jay Popoff, ex-Buckcherry singer Joshua Todd and ex-Neurotica singer Kelly Shaefer. To date, more than 600 potential candidates have campaigned for the gig, with Slash and Co. bringing in at least 100 known and unknown singers for live auditions.

The Floyd cover also features guitarist David Kushner, who performed with McKagan in his side project Loaded. The soundtrack is due May 26th.

The collaboration between Weiland and "The Project" members has thrown the STP singer's second solo album into question. Producer Josh Abraham, who tracked four "artsy" songs with Weiland in August, said he hasn't heard from the singer since December and was unsure when the sessions would resume. "We started it and never really finished, but if the opportunity's there, I'm ready," Abraham recently said. "The material's really good." Among the songs already recorded are such tentatively titled tracks as "Drop That Baby," "If Only I Could Fly" and "Big Black Monster."

Responding to rumors of Weiland's continuing struggle with drug addiction, the singer's manager Peter Katsis said that he was aware that Weiland "had been in several [drug rehab] programs," but was unaware of his current status. Katsis also stressed that Weiland's work with "The Project" and brothers Dean and Robert DeLeo's production of the new Alien Ant Farm record did not signal the end of STP. "Everyone is taking a little hiatus and doing their own thing," Katsis said. "Nothing more. There's no breakup or discussions in that direction."

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56958

;)

I hate the name "The Project". They should've gone with Josh Todd. He's a perfect voice for that group, plus he's a kickass rock songwriter. Who the hell is going to write songs for this band? Slash and Duff can't do it. I thought Izzy was supposed to be a part of it somehow? I hear Axl Rose may be available. He's obviously got nothing else to do, except maybe an album coming out in 2010.

3. coma

coma Contributing Member

Freak,

I heard Todd is a huge ass in the studio.
    Also, yes Izzy was part of the song writing process, but won't be touring.
    Someone who would've been better is Mike Patton, who was asked, but he declined due to his current band, Tomahawk. Btw, Tomahack kicks ass.

4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

[​IMG]

except eat....

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I figured someone posted this but since we don't have the search option....

6. coma

coma Contributing Member

Ok, he was a lil fat at RIR III, but he wised up and got in shape. Here's a pic from the HOB Las Vegas 1/02.

[​IMG]

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

<center>ROCK
    [​IMG]
    ON!!!!!</center>

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

When I look into your eyes
    I can see a love restrained
    But darlin' when I hold you
    Don't you know I feel the same

'Cause nothin' lasts forever
    And we both know hearts can change
    And it's hard to hold a candle
    In the cold November rain

We've been through this auch a long long time
    Just tryin' to kill the pain

But lovers always come and lovers always go
    An no one's really sure who's lettin' go today
    Walking away

If we could take the time
    to lay it on the line
    I could rest my head
    Just knowin' that you were mine
    All mine
    So if you want to love me
    then darlin' don't refrain
    Or I'll just end up walkin'
    In the cold November rain

Do you need some time...on your own
    Do you need some time...all alone
    Everybody needs some time...
    on their own
    Don't you know you need some time...all alone

I know it's hard to keep an open heart
    When even friends seem out to harm you
    But if you could heal a broken heart
    Wouldn't time be out to charm you

Sometimes I need some time...on my
    own
    Sometimes I need some time...all alone
    Everybody needs some time...
    on their own
    Don't you know you need some time...all alone

And when your fears subside
    And shadows still remain
    I know that you can love me
    When there's no one left to blame
    So never mind the darkness
    We still can find a way
    'Cause nothin' lasts forever
    Even cold November rain

Don't ya think that you need somebody
    Don't ya think that you need someone
    Everybody needs somebody
    You're not the only one
    You're not the only one

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If it's anything like FNM, I'm interested. Or maybe even if it's not.