1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scott Brooks on the Vertical Podcast

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Feb 9, 2016.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

2. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

anyone know where that conversation starts at. Can't listen to the whole thing at my desk :)

3. OpenLayup-Why3?

It will be hilarious if Morey signs him. If that happens, I hope DMo's no longer a Rocket. Terrible coach.

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

It completely baffles my mind that people actually believe he is a better coach than McHale.

I have no doubt that if Scott Brooks came in, this team would have the same exact problems as we do right now.

Hiring him would purely be for the opportunity to get Durant, and if that didn't pan out, this team would still be unwatchable.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://newsok.com/article/5477769

6. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

if you think a coaching change is the cure for this team, you are totally wrong, we already changed the coach, it's all on the players, you can try all the great coaches with this current team and they will still suck

1 person likes this.
  7. hakeemthagreat

DMo may not even be a Rocket by the trade deadline:rolleyes:

8. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

If hiring Brooks would improve our chances for Kevin Durant, I would be all for it. We would still compete for a Championship.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Here's the quote from Scotty that jumped out at me (thanks, J.R. and the OP). Brooks was asked about Harden and the Harden trade:

"James is a great player. The thing that I love about James, he loved his role. He loved coming off the bench, he loved working with that second unit. Him and Nick had a great bond on the court and off the court. When James made that USA Basketball, he knew that he belonged and that following year before he was traded, he was one of best players. And he did not want to start. We tried to start him a few times because Thabo Sefolosha got hurt. I think we started him like two games and he came to me after each game and said 'Coach, Coach, Coach, please, please, please get me back in my same role. I like the second unit.' That says a lot about him. Because he was a great player, is a great player. But it didn't work out. For whatever reason, they couldn't get it done. We moved on as a team. It was tough. I thought our guys did a great job of picking up the pieces mentally. We were drained when it first happened. But I thought my staff and our team did a great job of showing leadership and fighting on and we ended up winning 60 games that year."

Clearly, the Harden trade was a blow to Brooks and his staff. Disbelief (my word) probably sums up the reaction. For those here (you know who you are) that harp again and again about how egotistical and selfish James is? Scotty Brooks isn't buying it.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So we have to bench Harden? :confused: :p

11. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

If he was hired I'd lose respect for Morey. Scotts resume is no better if not worse than mchale

The only time brooks has had a good season is when he had a dynasty in Westbrook, KD, and harden and hasn't done **** since

This board is like a dog in heat when it comes to a new coach

12. beardsanity713

I like Brooks as an assistant coach

Houston ties & knows Harden well

He & Tibs would be a a good fit together

13. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

After Kubiak and Phillips took the Texans to Denver and won it all who knows maybe Brooks can be a better coach the second time around.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think he's an amazing coach. He might be better than McHale, but that's not saying much.

I do think, while it's an excuse, he does have VERY valid injury excuses and the like beyond his control. He had a team that even his average coaching would have had more than one shot at the Finals. Then they trade a key piece. They're still really good, then Westbrook goes down. They play the Spurs neck and neck in the WCF two years ago when Ibaka was there, but lose the games where he is out.

It's basically impossible to win a championship in the NBA without one of your key players. The Warriors would be the closest to maybe being able to do it if Klay went down, but if Steph or Draymond go down, no way, and even losing Klay would hurt them a lot in the playoffs.

But no, I don't want Scotty Brooks to coach the Rockets.

They had better winning percentages the two years after trading Harden then they did with him. They had injuries to key players. Not much Brooks can do about that.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not a fan of Brooks as the Rockets next coach, but if it seals the deal to get KD in Houston, then I am sold. I'd take my chances with spotty coaching with a Harden/Durant combo.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You have no idea what you're talking about.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This He is not really a good coach but if he gets us KD and can motivate Harden I'm for it.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

If a player will only play hard for certain coaches, then that's probably not a player you want. The great players don't need a coach to motivate them.

19. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

You are right, but great players don't come around often, so if it takes a specific coach to motivate him, so be it.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

Does't Kobe fall into that? Not motivate, but only Phil could ge thim to buy into a team concept and to trust and most importantly Phil taught him to be friends with his teammates and become a leader. After Phil leaves, Kobe returns to being a dick.