1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scott Brooks fired by OKC

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Apr 22, 2015.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Surprised to read so many people sticking up for Scott Brooks as if he's the second coming of Kerr/Budenholzer/Brad Stevens.

Brooks was a mediocre coach and in terms of adjustments, from what I saw he was a subpar coach.

Those saying this just paves the way for Westbrook and/or Durant to bolt, did y'all stop to think that maybe Bennett and Presti will involve them in the coach search and choose the coach the both of them say they feel most comfortable with? Imo if Durant and/or Westbrook were planning to leave in FA, they would do that regardless of Scott Brooks presence or not.

Anywaym, just waiting for a3po to chime in. His is the only opinion that carries some weight in this discussion since he's watched that team play more than myself and any others here I'm guessing. (Plus, I think he's been waiting for this day for a long time :grin: )

#61 ferrari77, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

If he can turn Kanter into something on defense, while WB/Durant/Ibaka all stay moderately healthy next year?

[​IMG]

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And then remembering that he saw this movie, it was called healthy TMAC and Yao.

He ain't going back to coachin until the kids are in college, if ever.

4. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Durant has a chance to play in the junior varisty Eastern Conference like his boy LeBron James. I dont think he passes that up

5. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I really hope they don't have this Kerr-Warriors type transformation. I'm praying they still are subpar and that WB and KD leave right when FA hits.

I know too many OKC fans and if there was ever a fan base that was so entitled.

6. i3artow i3aller

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What are people talking about with this Kerr/Warriors transformation comparison?

The Thunder were a dominant team in the West until injuries derailed them this year. If they get back to the Finals next year it wouldn't be a transformation, it would be returning to their level.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'm stunned. Change for the sake of change always sucks. I hope Kevin ollie is the guy

9. RESINator

RESINator Member

Took them this long to realize they had a horrible xs and os coach. I hope our front office sees the same with Kevin soon. I still believe we are not championship contenders with him at the helm. Regardless go rockets!

10. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Ok, not transformation, but getting back to that level. I hope it doesn't happen. I want them to crumble, and I want their stars to leave before any impact is made.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I was the first one who mentioned the Warriors, but I didn't do it to mean that a new coach would transform the team - just that a new coach can step in to a winning team and immediately help them keep winning. There isn't necessarily a long adjustment period that would hurt current title chances.

So that combined with Brooks being on the hot seat all year (if that's true) make his firing an easy decision for OKC management and ownership. They had apparently wanted him out anyway.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Scottie Brooks is an overrated coach, but he didn't deserve to be fired. I guess OKC is hoping this is like the Mark Jackson firing which seemed like an overreaction by the Warriors at the time, but has worked out perfectly. The problem is it could just as easily blow up in their faces if they underachieve next season under a new head coach and Durant bolts in 2016.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well this I agree with. Unless you get the hire wrong. A strong personality, Thibs or Billy Donvan as examples? I could see that blowing up into a feud with Westbrook over his ball dominating issues.

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Genius move! Getting a healthy Durant/Ibaka is going to make that team a legitimate contender next year and this move will make Presti look like he was instrumental in the turnaround! With very few exceptions, talent wins games and coaches are just along for the ride! Silly rabbit, trixs are for kids!

15. The Stig

The Stig Member

Give Scotty a role here and let the Kevin Durant sweepstakes begin!

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I am trying to do a head count of the posters saying "stunned" or "shocked" in this post whose also screamed "fire our coach" in the "Firing Mchale thread".

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

KD fires Scott Brooks. That's what the headline should look like.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Really. Coaching change like that come from the super star players. If they don't approve, coaches get to keep their jobs. Scott Brooks was recently saying he thinks he was going to return next year. So what has changed.

To be fair, I for one also don't think Scott should be the one gets all the blame. They have a good young nucleus and maybe he should be given one more year.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

KD loves Brooks.

If anything this will piss KD off.

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

I was hoping they'd keep him, Brooks is very bad at adjustments and Xs and Os (although part of their struggles is due to Presti not being able to find role players). For our sake, I hope they hire a dominant personality to clash with Westbrook or just a bad coach overall.