1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scott Boras NOT going to represent Carlos Lee

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nick, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Major

Major Member

I don't think anyone is going to not pick Boras as an agent because the Astros don't like him. If you're picking Boras as your agent, it's likely because you want a lot of cash - and he delivers more often than not.

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Wells isn't a FA til after 2007.

EDIT

I just saw that he may have demanded a trade, so I guess that's what you meant about him being available.

#22 Oski2005, Aug 24, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  3. weslinder

weslinder Member

I've never been big on Soriano for reasons that I can't put my fingers on. One thing is that if he's so great, why does every team want to get rid of him from the moment they get him? He seems to be unclutch (although I have no evidence for this). Obviously his defense and attitude is suspect, but neither should be deal breakers. Maybe he just doesn't feel like an Astro. (You know, the whole hard working, very professional good guy thing.)

Lee on the other hand would be great. He's never said anything about wanting out of the OF, it's just that Milwaukee doesn't think he'll hold up there long and Fielder is the future at 1B. He does seem to have the qualities that Astros are famous for.

But the perfect target is someone else. I would love to see the Astros go after Miguel Cabrera. He is going to get a mint in arbitration, so the Marlins might be willing to deal. I don't know that, I'm just speculating.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

he hasn't. the specualtion is that his family would like him to play closer to home in dallas, and that the rangers are going to make a run at him, making lee even more available.

key word being "that." or "speculation."

5. sandopat

sandopat Member

I don't really know about the defense thing. From what I remember of him as a Yankee and Ranger, he was a pretty solid defensive 2nd base. He's got a lot of range because of his speed and a pretty good arm. In left field, he's leading the league in outfield assists with 19! I think defensively he's really underrated. I do agree with the attitude thing, but the astros have been known to bring in guys who weren't always great clubhouse guys everywhere else and let them asimilate into our system. With Berkman doing a good job taking the reins of this team, the transition from the biggio/bagwell era will be a good one. Even with Bags gone and Bidge in the twilight, the tradition has continued.

6. sandopat

sandopat Member

Don't for get Soriano's 3 or 4 straight 30-30 seasons and his flirtation with 40-40 this year. The latter is most likely a contract year outburts. Too bad McLane won't roll out another 100M dollar payroll or we could look like this:

CF - Willy
    LF - Soriano
    RF - Lee
    1B - Berkman
    3B - Ensberg
    2B - Biggio
    SS - Everett
    C - Ausmus
    P - Roy, Roger, Andy, Brandon, Crappy Triple A Pitcher.

With Bags 19M coming off the books and Andy likely to sign for about 10M cheaper, we could probably afford Lee and Soriano.

A boy can dream though, can't he?

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

you obviously don't remember him very well. made more errors than any 2b in the AL during his ranger tenure.

8. candlegreen

candlegreen Member

that and his range was never good to begin with. Speed does not always equate to range, especially since he's horrible at reading the ball off the bat.

He was having problem like another ex-Yankee infielder for awhile, and what Aramis Ramirez had for the Cubs at one point....

9. MadMax

MadMax Member

can we get A-Rod? let's make that happen. someone get on the phone.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

(vomit)

11. MadMax

MadMax Member

i knew you were gonna say that or something like it! :)

12. percicles

percicles Member

I've played with this scenario for a while. Would solve two Stro problems (0 prod from SS and Off. firepower). Any deal though would have to get an OK from A-rod, would most cetainly involve Oswalt, and would have George S. picking up a good chunk of A-rods remaing $$$$.

13. weslinder

weslinder Member

He was a terrible defensive 2B. He's better as a corner OF and his defense affects you less. Even so, leading the league in OF assists is never a good thing. It means that base runners are willing to test your arm. Manny led the league in OF assists last year.

14. MadMax

MadMax Member

i don't want him as a SS. i think he has a hard enough time playing 3B. i'd keep him at 3B.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

He was a gold glove shortstop before he went to New York.

That being said, I think we all would pass on that albatross contract.

16. Xenon

Xenon Member

It's no longer an albatross contract. The Rangers have already paid a large chunk of his contract. The Yankees actually have him for a reasonable price.

17. MadMax

MadMax Member

i doubt seriously he would be a gold glover anywhere now. besides...gold gloves are a joke.

and Xenon is right...the rangers picked up a ton of the tab in the deal that sent him to NY.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Yeah the Yankees pay A-Rod about 13 million annually now. Also, before this year he was a very good 3rd baseman. No idea what has happened to him. WHen he was a shortstop, he was widely considered one of the best defenders in the league.

19. MadMax

MadMax Member

honestly, there's no way i'd trust him at SS now. not after this season. that position is way too important.

20. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

sucks for carlos lee....why wouldnt you want boras as your agent??? same with rosenhaus in the nfl