1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Scoring Basketball Games?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by oelman44, Aug 7, 2012.

1. oelman44

oelman44 Member

So I noticed that at Astros games that while watching I often zone out, and start not really paying attention to the game. As a result, I started scoring baseball games, which made Astros games a lot more fun and enjoyable to watch and be at, and helps me focus on the game.

It's a lot easier for me to focus on Rockets games, but am wondering if scoring a basketball game would be any fun? Obviously the practice isn't nearly as popular as in baseball (you can by a scorecard at any baseball stadium), but am wondering if any of you guys have tried it and think it is worth a try. Thanks.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I had been an official "scorer" at our Junior Varsity game during high school. It's fun. Also, you can tell who's doing good work. There should be a stat for "taking charges" or "hustling on the floor for the ball", I think.

Try it. :)

3. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Awesome, thanks for response. Is it just like recording stats? Like tally for a rebound and suck? If it is I think it might feel like a waste, especially if I can just look up and see the stats.

4. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I feel like people score basketball games all the time. When someone is going to get a triple double or score X amount of points, people know.

5. JD88

JD88 Member

I used to do it when reffing basketball games with fouls simply because I don't want the officials to have to much of an effect on the game.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

seems kind of an odd thing to do for recreation for a basketball game since it's so much more fast paced, but I suppose you could.

For baseball, it makes more since due to the speed and relatively low scoring.

7. oelman44

oelman44 Member

But wouldn't this make more since to do at a youth basketball game? At a Rockets game all the stats are already posted on the scoreboard. Regardless, I think I'll give it a try.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Astros score keeping during a good inning.

1B
    K
    4-6-3 DP

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Probably because there is a big illuminated sign that tells people all the stats in real-time. ;)

I kept score in high school every now and then when we were stuck waiting on other games to finish before ours. My favorite time was when I noticed the other team neglected to put a player in the book and then tried to sub him in, which is an automatic technical. I pointed it out to the ref, he checked it out, took a few steps back, slammed down the ball, loudly blew his whistle and called a tech like someone just called him Tim Donaghy. He said "I've always wanted to do that".

10. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I did it a few times while watching on t.v. years ago. It's something different to try. I got burnt out pretty quick with it though. I remember a lot of times having trouble being able to tell who fouls were called on and little stuff like that that commentators talk over and don't bother to mention. I get to so few games in person I'd much rather soak it in, besides, the scoreboard.

11. ILoveTheRockets

lol sounds about right