1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scorekeeper ordered to give Olajuwon triple double

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Special Patrol Group, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Special Patrol Group

That's not really the focus of the article, but it's in there. Sort of interesting how statistics can be subject to favoritism by home scorers versus road.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Morey faints

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

That Alex guy sucks.

4. kenwonobi

kenwonobi Member

Nobody gifted him one of the only quadruple doubles in NBA history though. Nobody also gave him a Gasol like trade to add to his team other teams best players. Nobody froze an envelope for the city of Houston to get the number 1 draft pick for him either. Nobody gave him any stats because I remember watching every game back then and maybe this guy is telling a fib because I recall his triple doubles and none of them ever seemed questionable as I constanlty was stat keeping to see when he could get things like these as a avid Olajuwon fan. i dont ever remember a game that he didnt have every single number they gave him. I did see alot of games were blocks where taken away for fouls that didnt occur and shots he made while players where draped all over him and no free throws for the three point play. No gifts like Gasol or Ewing to teams for nothing and stats like free throws at will for breathing on Kobe.

5. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Well,Where Amazing Happens now shifts to Where Fudging Happens,that's great! I guess there ain't no stats worth believing at all in the end.It's just pile of numbers.Just watch the game!

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Good and depressing article. But, the information is also a little dated. With teams that are relying more heavily on stats today, like Morey in Houston, Cuban in Dallas, and so on, I wonder if it is really the same landscape. Also, there's the 3rd party stats company (whose name I can't recall) who collects all sorts of additional stats and footage on players. Teams aren't relying on official box-scores for data now. So, is the box-score just a marketing gimmick now?

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I would guess the Rockets maintain all their stats on teams/players in-house, and don't even rely on the official NBA box scores. It would be interesting to hear a comment from Morey on how bad this really is.

8. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Can't be much worse than the officiating ....

9. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

where's the investigative reporting to the padded stats of others in the league? They gave stockton an assist every time he just threw it to malone, even if malone dribbled and did some post up move.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Acie Law used to average like 12apg in College Station but only like 3.8 on the road.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

there was something on the Yahoo bball blog recently by Kelly D about this generous interpretation of stat keeping. In particular he pointed out one horrible game by the lakers in the late 90s against the grizzlies where Nick Van Exel had something like 24 assists and the lakers had a total of 34 team field goals.

it happens all the time

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

haha did you read this article that was posted? That's exactly the game they were talking about..

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly. I am positive that players get credited with blocks by not getting called on a foul more than by those scorekeepers.