1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scoot Henderson Tank Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 12, 2022.

?

I like Wemby, but we need a PG.

Poll closed Jun 22, 2023.
  1. Yes

65 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. Nah, we need Wemby.

131 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. Nah, draft Wemby & get a PG with Bucks pick.

46 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Nah, we can find a PG in free agency.

34 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. ExTxGS

ExTxGS Member

If we draft Scoot, and Silas is still our coach...We all know KPJ will continue to play in starting 5. He is like a son of Silas. (Scoot PG, KPJ SG, Jalen SF)

So, Scoot would never reach his true potential. KPJ wants the ball in his hands.

If we select Scoot. Firstly; Silas has to be fired, secondly KPJ should be traded.

King1 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. i3artow i3aller

I've yet to see him say he models his game after Westy. Only that he used to watch Russ highlights before games in an attempt to channel his own unique aggressive mentality on the court. Funny how the Westbrook comp stuck, but the Andre Miller, Chris Paul or Jrue Holiday comps were much less memorable.

Scoot Henderson: "Right now, probably who people say over and over again, Russell Westbrook. I want to be like Andre Miller with the pace and the ability to see the floor. Pass like Chris Paul and be smart. On a skillset level, I want to be like Damian Lillard. I want to be a clash of all those guys. On defense, be like Jrue Holiday. I watch all of their film and try to be that one whole player.

I was trying to meet Andre. I was watching film of him before the game. Miller was going slow as heck, but he was getting whatever he wanted. I feel I have the ability to go slow and fast and still get what I want."

Scoot Henderson: "I used to watch Russell Westbrook highlights before games. His aggressiveness is like that dog in you that you’ve got to have. I try to not mimic it, but see how I can bring that out of myself."

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Right. It was the answer to the question:

He's nothing like Lillard, Paul or Miller at the same age. He plays more like WB at the same age. So I think people can see that out of the 4 players he mentioned, he plays a little more like one than the other 3.

Good he's focusing on emulating some guys who are excellent in the halfcourt and on defense.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  4. i3artow i3aller

Care to share those clips of his terrible mid range game that you spoke of? :rolleyes:

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No, not really. What's the point of sharing out of context low lights of his mid range and 3pt game when you know where to find the actual stats?

6. i3artow i3aller

Lol, thought as much o_O:D:rolleyes:

#146 i3artow i3aller, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Wemby if we secure the first pick. Scoot with second pick, KPJ can go or be a backup.

Anything else is a lost season IMO

Mr Woods, AroundTheWorld, Bo6 and 2 others like this.
  8. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

Ancient Moabite, Bo6 and Amel like this.
  9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

if we draft Scoot KPJ+Sengun would needed to get traded together.

Add in KMJ and a first round pick and that's a nice little package. Maybe for a player like Mikal Bridges or Michael Porter Jr, Markkanen? We could take in extra salary

2023 roster looking like :

Scoot
    Green
    (Bridges/MPJ/Lauri)*
    Jabari
    Garuba

Eason
    Tate
    Washington
    [rando 1st round pick]
    [rando vet salary pickup from trade]
    [rando FA vet]
    matthews
    Nix? lol

#149 Bo6, Jan 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Amen Thompson is an outstanding prospect, a physical freak who has to duck his head so it doesn't hit the rim when dunking.
    Brandon Miller could be the next Paul George
    Cason Wallace looks like the Jabari Smith of PGs

This draft is way more than just Scoot and Wemby.

11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Amen Thompson looks fun. He'd be a great fit next to Sengun.

12. larsv8

Amen Thompson does look fun, but I cannot imagine a worse fit alongside Sengun.

Amen Thompson
    Jalen Green
    Tari Eason
    Jabari Smith
    Myles Turner

Imo

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Read the full interview

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

As amazing as Wemby might be, if we could get a top point guard and rid ourselves of KPJ, the delta of improvement for this team would be greater, because we already have an amazing center in Sengun.

Point guard is our position of greatest weakness.

glimmertwins and King1 like this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I disagree. He looks like he'd be a great cutter/slasher. Obviously assuming we play Sengun to his strengths and use him as a passer. If Sengun is used like he is now, then I can see your point.

BamBam likes this.
  17. larsv8

Your belief is that we are going to draft a premiere PG, and then move to a Sengun oriented offense ????

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So two non shooting bigs in the starting line up in the modern NBA. That's a lot of defenders packing the paint and just playing zone d.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think we could draft Wemby and some posters will still say we need to build around Sengun.

20. xaos

xaos Member

@Mathloom there are definitely similarities to Westbrook.

Westbrook is actually my least favorite player (dating back to his MVP days) and I would still take him 2nd in this one. I don't see him as just some consolation prize

Similarities to Westbrook:
    • Elite athlete
    • Fearless
    • Plays with an edge that doesn't really exist anymore in today's NBA.
    • Has struggled on the perimeter shooting
    • Can rebound decent for a guy his size
    It's up to Scoot to continue to make progress shooting the 3, and based on his shooting form + touch, practice habits, and desire to be great I believe he will. He knows the negative things about Westbrook and knows things like, how a poor jumpshooter can really limit your ceiling. That's just an opinion.

Things that I believe are not like Westbrook:
    • He doesn't care if he gets the direct assist. He is willing to play within the flow of the offense, but will step up usage as the team needs buckets
    • He isn't going to back down from anyone, but unlike Westbrook, he isn't a hothead and an easy tech if the opponent baits him
    • He doesn't make every play about him (this is key; personally I think Westbrook is a tier 1 narcissist who plays like the every possession revolves around him, up until perhaps recently)
    • He is very crafty around the rim and doesnt rely just on dunking. He does post-like moves from a sprint
    • He seems very coachable
    • He understands the flow of the game and has a pulse on what's needed -- not just 1 speed of recklessness
    This is based on about 10 games or so that I've seen him play in addition to a few things I've read about him / interviews. I really think the practices and game intensity would go up 10 levels with Scoot/Smith getting after everyone in practice. I think it would help Green reach his ceiling, not hurt it. KPJ could possibly shift over to the 3 considering he is playing out of position, a good defender and excellent catch and shoot player with good playmaking ability when limited. I think Eason would eventually be a better fit, but I don't think it becomes an immediate bench for KPJ.

I never claim to be an expert so these are just one person's observations.