1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Scoot Henderson Tank Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 12, 2022.

?

I like Wemby, but we need a PG.

Poll closed Jun 22, 2023.
  1. Yes

65 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. Nah, we need Wemby.

131 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. Nah, draft Wemby & get a PG with Bucks pick.

46 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Nah, we can find a PG in free agency.

34 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. i3artow i3aller

Bo6 and cheke64 like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

The kid is just 19. He's looking built like a 28 year old heavyweight champ. Jesus.

Bo6, Caesar, saleem and 2 others like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No.

peleincubus likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The potential issue is that he moves like a 38 year old.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Rock solid reasoning

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sengun is the best player of the bunch. Amen Thompson may be a great athlete, but this is not track & field.

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Amen Thompson is a poor shooter but don’t be obtuse. He has a lot if skill.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

If you think we should trade something to try and get him (if we don't draft him outright), then the assets we should consider trading, are, in order

KPJ
    our other first round pick this year
    --------------
    Jabari
    Tari
    Green
    Sengun

with anything below the line being too valuable to trade, in my opinion, since Amen is too unproven

Happy to trade the two assets above the line.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  9. ROCK3TM4N

ROCK3TM4N Member

Seems like Clutchfans not really excited about this kid, I for one really am and would be just as ecstatic to have him if not Wemby.

Outside of the physical tools and high bball IQ, he seems very grounded (great family support and accountability) and super focused.

Here's an extensive interview with him with Ringer,

Very impressed with his wins over Wemby in the exhibition matches and did it in multiple ways as the leader of the team (Scoring one half and then beating them with facilitating in the other). He shows me that he's legit competitive in nature and has the skill and confidence to back it up.

I am on the boat of trading a lot to move up to 2nd if possible if we don't get a top two pick.

This guy is like a mix of D-rose and Chris Paul, sign me up mang!

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

I would say we're all pretty excited for him except of course DD(who has a stellar prospect evaluating mind...) if we don't land at #1 because he's basically like having a #1 in most other years.

I wouldn't put him in DRose territory or even Ja'. His overall speed/burst/first step/hangtime isn't quite out of this world, but more elite mortal like.

His speed and tempo and overall game has shades of CP3 and Kyle Lowry with giant hands for a pg like Rondo, the vertical power of Russ and a strength and body we've maybe never seen from a point guard prospect. We're not talking about roided retirement Mike Bibby, but a kid with an elite football prospects body. He's built like a RB.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I am going to upset some Rockets fans, but I would drive Sengun to the airport if I can get Scoot Henderson for him.

I hear a lot of people claim he isn't really athletic -

He isn't as athletic as Amen Thompson or Ja Morant or a young Westbrook or John Wall or Derrick Rose.

However that is like 5 point guards in the last 20 years?

Also, athleticism isn't even what makes Henderson so special - he has amazing body control. He has better body control that any of the uber athletic point guards. The only guys I can think of with better body control are guys like Harden, Jordan, Kobe, Iverson, Nash. The only non star that I can think of that had similar body control was Stephon Marbury and he lacked the athleticism or strength that Henderson has.

Henderson is 2-3 inches shorter than I would like, but he is extremely strong, has a low center of gravity and a 6'10" wingspan with large hands.

He has everything he needs to be a genuine star in the NBA.

People are really sleeping on him.

12. TimDuncanDonaut

It's just weird that Sengun's name is being bought up. He and Henderson are of different positions. If it's strictly because Sengun has value but maybe not the type people want because... ?

There are those who like Sengun. And those who have reservations. For those who have reservations, don't you think other rebuild teams might share the same reservations?

1) If people here think Sengun can only fit in a very specific system; other teams most likely feel the same way. In which case, if you're talking about trade scenarios (right or wrong), that limits the trading partners.

2) From what I've seen; most bottom teams are also looking for that homerun because the rookie/sophmores (outside of a Paolo or Evan) are also question marks.

* Detroit, for example, would take Henderson at 2, even if they have ivey and Cade. They're still searching for their home run. Worst case, one of the guys play off-ball or put one with 2nd unit.
    * Hornets, where they likely prefer another ball handler with LaMelo (sorry Rozier).
    * San Antonio just gutted their team, so they need a PG.
    * Wizards - common knowledge by Wiz fans that Beal is much better when he does less playmaking and focus more purely on scoring. So a PG to pair with him is ideal.​

All the bottom teams (like us) care more about BPA (than fit). But even taking fit into account; they all can use a playmaking guard. That said just throwing / dangling Sengun because he's good despite not being a high pick, is really singling him out.

#472 TimDuncanDonaut, May 12, 2023
    Last edited: May 12, 2023
    AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. ROCK3TM4N

ROCK3TM4N Member

Hmm maybe cause people think Sengun needs the ball in his hand being a point center? But it is interesting to think about the players I would be willing to give up on top of our pick this year and more.

I would obviously be willing to trade KPJ, KMJ, Tate etc.

Would have to think hard if the other teams wanted, Jabari, Jalen, Sengun, or even Tari..I might Jalen tbh :X

14. invocux

invocux Member

You simply can not pass on this dude. However i've a bad news for you. I can sense these type of **** it's sorta like 6th sense and we are getting the 4th pick.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I would give up Sengun for Scoot straight-up. I think most NBA GMs would too. And maybe they could be proven wrong, but I'd bet you that is the sentiment around the league.

But that said, I see no reason they couldn't play well together if we land #2 in the lottery (or #3 and somebody else is crazy enough to pick Miller second). It's working fine for Murray + Jokic, Fox + Sabonis.

ROCK3TM4N likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Better than 5-6. It increases the odds a lot that they can still get Scoot at 3/4 than 5/6.

OremLK likes this.
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'm also on the Scoot bandwagon - been here for a while actually(and got the receipts to prove it). Not sure about his ceiling, but the kid will be a VERY good player at the very least and likely a far more capable PG than KPJ. I concur that he seems to have the right amount of traits you would hope to see in a young player of his level - an intense dedication to his craft both in the gym AND in the film room, a singular focus on being a basketball player and nothing else, a willingness to rise to the moment (like in those duals with Victor with everyone watching), a certain fearlessness but also awareness of your weaknesses(it's rare to have both)....you just don't see kids at his age with that level of dedication...and hey - he can finish at the rim, has a high motor, has a good mid range game, is a very good passer, is a competitive defender. His shot could use some work, but there is defintely a "young Chris Paul' thing to his game that bodes well for him to eventually add to his skills. I'm all on board.

ROCK3TM4N and OremLK like this.
  18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You would only upset SOFs to be fair.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

Just my opinion; unless a player really breaks out. Like making all NBA team, ROTY, or been around long enough 3-5th year where there's enough data. GMs (nowadays) would rarely trade their 2nd pick for someone drafted 16th, even if that person's basketball play (Sengun) show that he's as good as those top prospects.

If Rockets ask my team for a 2nd, I'd look at the Rockets, and they don't have any of those aforementioned players. The only comparable pieces, are Rocket's recent 2nd or 3rd picks. High draft positions (but unproven). Unless Rockets offer me other things; like renting cap space to get rid of my bad contracts, very few would give up their #2.

I realize that Seugn-fans may be fierce in their opinions and could rub people off a different way. Putting that aside; Sengun as a player on this team has been underdog. Somewhat flourished despite silas' regme.

People's bias of a player's high draft position is very strong. From GMs to fan base (myself included). Those players drafted in the mid lottery has much shorter leash has to really prove themselves. How many times have we seen Sengun has to claw for his minutes under Silas.

Only GM who might do it is if Ainge sees something that we don't; like he came from the future on a time machine. Somehow knows short Henderson was a bust; but got Tari + Sengun out of us. In an else-world, where Tari turned into a Kawahi and Sengun turned out to be Jokic.

#479 TimDuncanDonaut, May 12, 2023
    Last edited: May 12, 2023
  20. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

With harden coming he might be off the table

ApacheWarrior likes this.