1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scoot falling to #4?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jun 7, 2023.

1. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

I feel a trade up also to grab Scoot

Dredd likes this.
  2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

scoot at 4 is just nonsense... id be more interested in any talk of the price to move up 1 or 2 spots to get him....

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Would KJ, #4, #20 be enough to move up to 2? I'd throw in a lot more but for the sake of conversation... what would it take for Charlotte to give up Henderson? Because I sincerely doubt they draft Miller instead.

saleem likes this.
  4. kjayp

Respectfully... i think the potential bust % of an unproven 4th pick rookie is far greater than were that asset turned into a fair market vet... or more preferably put into a package for that 'high end talent' u speak of...
    Draft picks are all about potential... maybe u get KD or maybe u get Oden.... so top 2 pick had a 50/50 shot... but i'll bet that Oden pick coulda been traded for dozens of guys that outperformed him...

Nook likes this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Respectfully, if you want to trade a chance at a star player for a guy with no chance at being a star player, you're not doing the right thing to move your team toward winning a championship.

Of course, if some top 10 player demands a trade and/or a young established player with legitimate star potential somehow becomes available, that might be a different story.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Perhaps they would want Eason or Sengun or the nets pick next year. I really would love Henderson on the Rockets I don’t know if that’s worth it though.

Scoot just seems so much of a sure thing. More than a vast majority of prospects I see. The dude is ferocious. If Green be as good as I hope he can be. Jabari can be good without the ball in his hands. Eason as well without the ball I think you really could have something. You just have to believe!

7. Nook

Nook Member

There is no doubt that there is a greater chance of getting a bust taking a rookie at #4 over trading for a veteran.

The problem is that the Rockets are not going to have much upside getting a vet - and your upside is lower.

The Rockets aren't a solid veteran away from being a title contender.

If the Rockets had a couple elite players and were a solid veteran away from being elite, I would support the trade for a veteran.

The reality IMO is that Scoot Henderson, Amen Thompson, Cam Whitmore or Jarace Walker helps the Rockets down the line far more than a seasoned veteran.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Yeah. I really would trade the house for Henderson, like you said he just seems to have it, franchise player written all over him. If the cost were Sengun and 4, I'd make that trade faster than Sengun's drop step.

peleincubus likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Love those "rumor has it" threads ....

Dankstronaut and Ancient Moabite like this.
  10. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

You're right of course, the risk of taking a #4 pick is much higher than trading for the equivalent value veteran.

Risk is good! Our goal should be acquiring the most high risk high reward assets we can. Jalen, Jabari, Sengun, Tari are all risky assets. Amen or Scoot would be another one. The hope is that the gamble works and 2 or 3 out of the 5 bets pay off. If all 5 do, we're a dynasty. If 0 of the 5 do, we'll be bad for the next 5 years.

If we minimized risk and swapped our risky assets for equivalent value safe assets, we'd just be a mediocre team with no upside winning 40 games per season. We'd never win a thing.

The goal of tanking was to accumulate as many lottery tickets as we can. We need to scratch them off and see if we've got winners, not trade them back in for a few bucks.

BaselineFade, Corpusfan, Moe and 3 others like this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Same rumor says has Jay-Z divorcing Beyonce, and Beyonce falling into my lap.

I'm beyond excited and can't wait!!!

pippendagimp likes this.
  12. a time to chill

Don’t give yourself false hope. There’s no chance Scoot falls to 4, and there’s nothing we could offer Charlotte or Portland to tempt them to trade back.

BaselineFade, saleem and roslolian like this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

I hope so. Getting Scoot would be just a waste of a pick imo.

14. kjayp

Imo... it comes down to %s... yes a #4 pick COULD be a superstar... what? Maybe 10-20% chance he's a long term solid starter? 5% he's a KD type level player? I mean if we're willing to flush the known commodity veteran return of a #4 pick to swing for 5% prayer... or a 10-20% chance we get a guy that would develop into the vet equivalent of what we could get today for that #4 pick... those aint great odds...
    Folks seem to think we're in a swing for the bleachers - or oh well, go back to the drawing board situation... No... we got rookie contracts running their course before we gotta re-up em, we dont own all our draft picks going forward... it's time to DO SOMETHING!
    We got 2 top 3 draft pix on the roster... and skads more 1st rd picks... just keep drafting and hope someone is just gonna blow up? its time to get some veteran leadership and take our shot - not continue to buy scratchers hoping to get a hit... are we just looking to be Sterling's Clippers?
    We need to bring in some leadership... Ime is a good hire - but we need a floor general a level above the 'head honcho' and we need vets toughening these young pups up - and pushing them!
    at least i'm hoping thats why we brought Ime in...

i was willing for a last year of tanking... in the hopes of getting Wemby or Scoot... it didnt happen... rather than taking on another project with 'potential'... its time to lock n load and see what we got! imo

#74 kjayp, Jun 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  15. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

We have $65M in cap space, the #20 pick, extra future FRP’s, extra future SRP’s, a surplus of recent frp extraneous young players + KJ + KPJ + Tate.

If we can’t acquire veteran leadership, a floor general, and some rim protection with that ammo, via free agency or trades, might as well fire everyone in the front office.

The #4 pick is the only asset we have that could turn into a true #1 guy / top 10 player. Even if the odds are only 10-20%. It’s the absolute last asset we should trade.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Rox have 60M in capspace they don't need to do trades they can sign people outright.

17. TimDuncanDonaut

Do you ever see people (our fanbase or other teams) talking about trading up to get Miller.
    :D Just food for thought.​

Or other teams to us about getting Amen. No Woj/Shams/Haynes bombs saying: "Detroit and Magic are very interested in Rocket's 4th pick for Amen." The thirst is for Henderson only.

[​IMG]

#77 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Charlotte could trade with us and still get Miller at #4 IMO.

Crashlanded19, AXG and jch1911 like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Scoot made pop poop or go #2?

Scat

Jontro likes this.
  20. kjayp

all depends on whats available through the various channels i guess...
    Obviously cap space is great... if we can get a Van Fleet on a reasonable contract - great!
    ...but if it means we get to outbid and overpay Julius Randle - ehhhhhh....
    I wanna package some stuff up and go for top tier talent...
    id rather not raid the future frp cupboard...
    srp's are irrelevant...
    i wanna keep as much of the young core (Sen/Jab/JG/Tari) as possible...
    and i dont see a poopoo platter of kmj, tate, kpj, #20, etc... getting much traction towards pulling top tier talent...