1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola's new blog (translation needed)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abc2007, Mar 25, 2010.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

http://www.scola4.com/

24/03/2010

El Madison Square Garden es, para muchos, como dice su presentador en los partidos de los Knicks, "the world's most famous arena" (el estadio más famoso del mundo). El domingo, cuando me toco jugar ahí por tercera vez, volví a sentir algo especial durante toda la tarde. De ahí que se me ocurrió contar en esta columna cuáles son los estadios que para mí son los más emblemáticos del básquetbol mundial. Evidentemente toca empezar por el mismísimo Madison, ubicado en pleno centro neoyorquino. El trayecto en colectivo ya es especial, porque se pasa por el Central Park y la Quinta Avenida. Una vez adentro, la primera sensación es de sorpresa. Los años de la estructura se reflejan por todos lados, hay bastante olor a comida frita, mucha gente trabajando, suciedad y hasta alguna que otra rata dando vuelta. Una vez en el pasillo de los vestuarios es donde realmente empezás a tomar dimensión de dónde estás: fotos de todo tipo de personalidades adornan el camino. Los vestuarios no son nada del otro mundo, pero una vez que entrás a la cancha es increíble. Es difícil de describir, pero estás en la meca del básquetbol. La historia y el conocimiento de la gente se percibe en el aire. Los fans ultraexigentes rara vez fallan y casi siempre está lleno. Muchas veces es normal escuchar silbidos y reproches para los propios Knicks. Evidentemente, la cantidad de personalidades de la farándula mundial hacen la experiencia todavía más interesante. Entre todas, la más mítica es sin dudas la de Spike Lee. El famoso director de cine, fanático del equipo, rara vez falta y es conocido por sus peleas con jugadores. En el partido del domingo me gritó: "¡Luis! ¡Luis! ¿River o Boca?". Yo no lo podía creer. "¡River!", le dije. "¡Buuuhhh... Bocaaa!", me contestó. Así que ya saben: ¡Spike Lee es de Boca! Segundo en mi lista está el Staples Center, hogar de Los Angeles Lakers. Sus fans también son bastante fieles, aunque en este caso ayuda la realidad del equipo. El estadio en sí no tiene tanta historia, pero la franquicia tiene un glamour increíble. Todo tipo de actores asisten habitualmente a los partidos de los Lakers. El más famoso, sin dudas, es Jack Nicholson. Mi primer partido en la NBA fue en el Staples, contra los Lakers. Yo, con unos nervios increíbles, no veía la hora de que empezara. Y cuando estábamos escuchando las ultimas indicaciones del entrenador, el círculo de jugadores de abrió... para que Nicholson pasara literalmente por el medio de la charla técnica. Tanto que obligó a nuestro entrenador a mover la pizarra. El estadio United Center de Chicago no tiene tanto glamour como los dos anteriores, pero para todos los de mi generación, que crecimos viviendo las batallas de Michael Jordan contra los Utah Jazz de Karl Malone y John Stockton, jugar en el United Center es algo especial. El anunciador, con su famosa voz, y la presentación de los jugadores con la mítica música de aquella época son como una máquina del tiempo que te lleva a aquellas finales y te hace sentir que estás a punto de enfrentar a Jordan, Rodman y compañía. En el último partido que jugué ahí no me pude aguantar y me fui a sacar una foto con la estatua de Jordan. Menciones especiales para el Conseco Fieldhouse de Indianápolis y para el estadio OAKA de Atenas. Ninguno de los dos tiene el glamour ni la historia de los otros, pero siempre van a ser especiales para mí y creo que para todo el básquetbol argentino. En el primero se jugó gran parte del Mundial de 2002, incluida la final. Imposible olvidarse. Y en el segundo viví el punto más alto de mi carrera (creo que mis once compañeros también) cuando jugué la final de los Juegos Olímpicos de Atenas 2004 contra Italia. Pueden que no sean los mejores, pero es difícil de superar lo que viví en ambos.

2. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

google translate

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

24/03/2010
    Madison square garden is for many, like the announcer says, the worlds most famous arena. Sunday, when i got to play there for a third time, i again felt something special the whole evening. That's why i got the idea to post on this blog what stadiums are symbols of basketball around the world. Obviously i'll start with Madison Square Garden, which is situated right int he middle of downtown New York. The trip there as a whole is special, since you pass by Central Park and fifth avenue. Once inside, your first sensation is surprising. The age of this structure reflect everywhere, a lot of fried food smell, many people working, some filth and even a rat here and there running around. Once you're in the hallways of the locker room you begin to realize where you really are. Pictures of all kinds of fmaous personalities adorn the way in. the locker room arent out of this world, but once you step on the court it's incredible. Its difficult to describe, but it's the basketball mecca.
    the history and basketball knowledge of the fans is felt in the air. The fans are very demanding of the team and they almost always fill the stadium. Many times its actually common to hear them whistle and talk trash to the knicks themselves. The many personalities of the eintertainment world make the experience even more interesting. Out of them all the most mythical is without a doubt spike lee. the famous movie director, knicks fan, rarely misses a game and is well known for his run-ins with players. In sunday's game he yelled at me, "luis, luis, river or boca?". I couldnt believe it. "river!!", i told him. "boooca!!", he replied back. So there you have it, Lee roots for Boca.

Second on my list is Staples center, home of the lakers. Their fans are also pretty faithful, but in this case it helps to have a good team to root for. The arena really doesnt have a lot of history, but the franchise's glamour is incredible. All kinds of actors make it a habit to attend the lakers' games. The most famous without a doubt is Jack Nicholson. My first nba game was in Staples, against the Lakers. With my incredible nerves I couldnt see the game was about to start. And when we were huddles up for some final words from coach the huddle opened allof a sudden...for Nicholson to literally walk right through our huddle in the middle of of our talk. It was so much that our trainer/coach had to move the blackboard(play board).

The united center in chicago doesnt have as much glamour like the other two, but for my generation, who grew up watching jordan battle the jazz there, it's very special. the PA announcer, with his famous voice and their player presentation with their typical music is like being in a time machine that takes you back to those finals and makes you think you're about to face off with jordan, rodman, and company. In the last game we played there i couldnt resist and i took a picture with Jordan's statue.

A special mention for the conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis and for the OAKA stadium in Athens. Niether has the history or glamour either, but will always be special for me and i think for all of Argentinian Basketball. In the first it played a big part of the Worlds of 2002, including the final. Impossible to forget. In the second i live the highes point in my career ( i thinkf or my teammates as well) when i played the final of the Athens Olympic Games in 2004 against Italy. Maybe they werent the best, but its difficult to top what we live through in those two.

Sorry if any typos, typed/translated as quickly as possible

#3 RV6, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2010
    2 people like this.
  4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

what the hell happened??! Great, i translated it and my message is blank :mad: :(

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

You forgot to close the quote tag.

Fixed it for you. ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Thanks.

I really like Scola's writing style. It's natural, frendly, & knowlegeable.

p.s. it seems he forgot to talk about the Toyota Center.

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Fixed. I did remember. It's Scola! :mad: ;)

[QUOTE = abc2007] Thanks.

I really like Scola's writing style. It's natural, frendly, & knowlegeable.

P.S. it seems Scola forgot to talk about the Toyota Center. [/ QUOTE]

1 person likes this.
  8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

why is MSG so famous?

9. s3ts

s3ts Member

First off, thanks for the translation.

WTF is wrong w/ Jack Nicholson?

10. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

New York City and AGES of history.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's Jack Nicholson! abc2007 and RV6 (with some assistance from R2K!), thanks a lot. I love reading this stuff. :cool:

12. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Off-topic, but...

...didn't Scola say he was going to get a haircut?

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My wife sent him an e-mail and talked him out of it. Now she's buggin' me to go to Argentina during the off-season. I'm sure it's just to see the Pampas. I'm supposed to take a week long trip to the Falklands while she shops. Is this a trip, or is this a trip? :confused: