1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola's big play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by buzz1701, Mar 16, 2010.

1. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

Scola rebounds, (snatches it), a key missed shot with less than a minute left with the Rockets down 2 points. He's laying on his back under the Nuggets basket with Nuggets all grabbing at him. He passes the ball to Brooks who takes only a couple of dribbles and then launches the ball upcourt to a now open Scola under the Rockets basket for the tying points, foul, and go ahead points. WOW is all I can say. He got up off his ass and out ran every Nugget to the other basket...I knew the Rockets would win right there. The lazy Nuggets can't let that happen. Scola is not the biggest, stongest, fastest or most talented guy out there, but no one hussles more than him...100% effort, 100% of the time...no way we trade him for Bosh or anyone else!

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Scola lacks diva issues. That has to be worth something.

3. itony

itony Member

if only he saved all this beastly play for next year...he's pushing for a big pay raise!

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I suspect this could have gone in another thread. But, I'd point that Scola had a defender or two in front of him, but he caught the pass on the move and they were (for some reason) completely flat-footed. He didn't exactly outrun the defenders; they just didn't make any play to stop him.

5. rocketsmetalspd

I don't think you have been watching Scola play all this time in H-Town. He brings it every night unlike some players. He is not the diva that you can say he is just playing for a big pay raise. He plays because he cares about the team.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i'm a big scola fan and love his hustle. That being said, your description of what happened is making it look better than it was. He didnt pass to brooks he passed to trevor who came to get the ball from him. Trevor then passed to brooks. Meanwhile scola was getting off the floor and when he ran upcourt Nene slipped and fell. Scola probably would have still been somewhat open, but i'm not sure Brooks tries to pass it to him with Nene on his heels.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

he outran the bigs, the guys who were back were Denver's guards, who were flat footed because they couldnt decide between leaving our wings open (who were setting up at the three point lines) or staying to meet scola...mainly chauncey, who was who fouled scola.

8. rawool

rawool Member

Scola actually passed it to Ariza, who then passed it to Brooks.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

NO. This deserved it's on thread if only to pay tribute to one of the top ten plays of the year. And your point is pointless when you consider Scola laying flat on the ground, the furthest guy from the goal, picked himself up off the ground and sprinted down court with every last bit of energy and beat everyone to the basket. He got fouled and even had enough sense to put some english on the ball so it would spin in. He outhustled everyone else on the court with that play and inspired his teammates to victory.

If he had only made that pass I would said great play but what he did after that was what separates heart from talent. We are not on the same talent level as the Nuggets no question. We probably won't make the playoffs this year. But we have no desire to gone down without a fight.

I started a thread on this board, Let the Tanking Begin, but I was wrong. I don't see how we can make the playoffs unless some other teams choke. But I love the way these have no desire to quit. And Luis Scola is the epitamy of Never Say Die!

Yes this deserved it's on thread and yes Scola deserves to be praised for his never say die leadership!

2 people like this.
  10. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I had to rewind this on the DVR and call my wife in from the other room to see this sequence. That was a momentum changer right htere.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed, I'm glad someone made it...that was probably the play of the game, yes it was better than brooks's last shot.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

again, i think the fact that Nene fell makes it look that much better....yes it's typical of scola to hustle and outrun guys, but to call it one of the top ten plays based on the fact that he was outrunning guys may be a stretch. Scola was basically the trailer here, which happens pretty much every time down. Usually the trailer isn't really open since his defender will be right behind him, in this case that defender slipped. Also, scola didnt even really seem to be in a hurry. He actually got up at an average rate, jogged downcourt like usual, but once he saw brooks going 100mph and salivating he started to jog faster to the rim.

13. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

I am starting to worry a little that Scola is playing himself out of Rockets reach. Fortunately he is restricted, but Alexander is going to pay him big bucks... If we make the playoffs it is all worth it.

14. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

Well you're entitled to you're opinion, but I feel it was the play of the year. I will probably picture that play in my mind when i think back on this season. I replayed it over a few times and my wife and I were just going crazy.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont understand how you could miss him passing it to trevor and trevor to brooks, if you replayed it a few times. Unless you were so excited that you thought you saw it one way and it wasnt quite like that. It happens. Maybe if you saw it today it would look a little different.

I would give the nod to a play were Houston outplayed their defenders in a key situation, not where they took advantage of a collapse in the defense in a key situation.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I see your point about their defense collapsing,but you aren't giving Luis credit for hustling. He did start out by rebounding the ball,getting up from the floor and passing before ending the play at the basket. That shows multiple sequences,which couldn't have occurred without hard work.
    That made the difference between victory and defeat.

17. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

That play got the crowd off on their feet and roaring...even everyone in the BBS was posting SCOLA or something similar. That play encapsulates Scola's game perfectly...he never quits and is all hustle and hard work.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i did give him credit. I mentioned twice how i love his hustle and how that's how he usually plays. I also mentioned how he ran faster when he saw brooks was thinking fast break. I just think the way the OP described it would be the equivalent of a defender getting picked and talking about it like he was beat off the dribble or crossed over. Kudos for setting the pick and using the pick, but i'd be wrong to say the defender got beat and outhustled.

i think as homer fans we like to think a great play was even greater. Everyone thinks brooks is fast, we say he's really fast. Everyone else may think a yao dunk was great, we'll claim it was really great. We'll think he jumped a little higher, dunked a little harder, scream a bit louder. Sometimes you have to look at a play again once the excitement has worn down to be more objective about it.

I like to look at it from scola's point of view as well. For example, the rebound itself sort of fell in front of him after, smith i believe, tried to draw the foul instead of grabbing it. Scola did scrap for it some after that, but my point is Scola view is that it feel in front of him, he scrapped a bit for it, casually got up, jogged down, then realized he had a layup and took it in. I feel as if he'd think there were other similar plays where he worked harder and longer to get a similar result and i'd think he'd be more proud of those plays.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The denver tv guys would not stop b****ing about not only how scola committed NUMEROUS fouls on that play but also how scola was not fouled and shouldn't be shooting fts

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think that any of our guys are superior in speed or generally make greater plays than our opponents,nor did I mean to imply that Luis made an exceptional play. However,it required effort and helped us to a win. That made it special and not just a causal play. I don't disrespect your opinion.