1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola, THE most consistent Rockets player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by clos4life, Feb 20, 2009.

1. angrykitty

angrykitty Member

2. Seth

Seth Member

Wow i cannot believe some of the thoughts here on Scola, the detractors in this thread seem like if they were threatened by Scola play, on how he might end eclipsing Yao.

Now i get how he got so little chinese votes, no real Rockets fan can deny how Scola is for this team, the big step he has done since his rookie year, and how he has been the most consistent player on this team, night in night out, no matter what the stats say.

Come on, Yao is the star, but Scola gets his due and the guy deserves to be more involved, and if it takes Yao to be eclipsed at some of his areas (such as low post plays) so be it, because it seems quite obvios that if Luis had to give up shots or anything for the team, he would do it.

I think right now, Scola is most reliable than Yao as a low post scorer unless both are very near the flor, while Yao has two moves from away the basket (turnaround and hook shot), Scola can give you a class of low and high post moves, turnaround, fake n drive, fake n shoot, up n under, very fast spin moves, he even drills the Duncan bank shoot.

3. Shengcer

Shengcer New Member

The low post efficiency of Scola is mostly due to the opponent usually has to have two or even three men take care of Yao.

4. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

Exactly...everytime yao has it in the last 4 minutes, I feel like he's about to get ripped or f**k it off...I lik yao, but his last minutes of the 4th quarter IQ is shaky...I would rather ron or aaron jack up a fadeaway than handing the ball into the post to yao for the last play of a game

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Scola is our new Otis Thorpe.

A consistent double double machine and very efficient.

6. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

Freddy Krueger coaching

7. Exiscion

Exiscion Member

After reading this thread, I decided to do some of my own analysis on scoring consistency from game to game and unexpectedly found that there is quite a big variability in his total points scored from game to game. My intent was not
    to devalue Scola in any way because it is quite clear that he is one of the Rockets' most "efficient" players and his hustle and competitiveness is something to be admired. But he is actually not the most "consistent" Rocket in terms of scoring.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

We have a winner! :D

9. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

we shouldn't "force feed" anyone in the clutch.
    scola should DEFINITELY get his share of shots at the end of games.

10. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Which isn't to say Landry hasn't improved.
    Scola is a very smart player. Very tenacious. Total competitor.

Viva Scola!

11. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

I'm waiting for him to beast out for 30/14 one of these nights. I bet he comes out huge in the playoffs.

12. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

[​IMG]

2009 Rockets MVP.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I read a quote of Pop, when asked about the Scola deal, saying - "I'm so mad I could spit!" :p

14. scalper

scalper Member

that seem like a idea Yao seems to thrive the first 3 quarters... then starts to run out of gas...

and then it was Tmacs turn :(

now im just wondering how Scola would do if he were to get doubled on a consistant basis though...

15. conquistador#11

pop reminds me of the villain from the SAW movies.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Scola is a great player so what's not to love about the guy...I for one am sooo glad we have him...

17. Shunter

Shunter Member

Luis Scola is amongst the most under-rated players in the NBA. He isnt a great scorer, very athletic but he had so many intangibles. Great worth ethic, determined and more importantly a fantastic team player.

I think every team in the NBA would love to have a Luis Scola in their team.

18. Kevin_chn

Kevin_chn Member

Scola is a top international player, and so is Yao. They get along with each other quite well.

19. kevtse

kevtse Member

I don't understand why he doesn't get the green light to post up more. I remember his post moves and skills are amazing when I watch him play in the national team.

20. Seth

Seth Member

If you can download the China-Argentina game from Indianapolis WC you´ll see him post up Yao many times, i think he scored 18 on that night.

If you want to see how he manages double teams, he was doubled a lot in europe where he was one of the Top 3 PF-C, you can see him being doubled by the likes of Marc Gasol, Kosta Koufos from the Jazz, Oberto from the Spurs, many actual NBA players have failed to double him as he is faster than most of them, and has a variety of post moves, look out on the USA-Argentina games how he schooled Howard and Bosh in the paint both in the pre and the Olympics.