1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola, THE most consistent Rockets player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by clos4life, Feb 20, 2009.

1. MorningDew

MorningDew Member

cuz that has never happen b4... your logic is oversimplified man~ coach and team decide strategy based on statistic and basketball IQ, not the thing you havn't seen ;)

2. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

I am having a serious man crush for Scola. Did you guys see how he react when Dallas' clown hit him with an elbow? Man, this guy is a tough competitor, and yet very graceful and professional. Plus his quite double doubles. The most successful trade Morey has ever done to Rocket ... yet.

3. platy

platy Member

yeah scola had a great game tonite, everyone agrees. but peopla are so down on yao real fast. they mention his downs often this season but forget the times when he carried the team offensively in the 4th when on one else can score.

4. Gelu

Gelu Member

did anyone notice the huge space around Scola?
    That space would lead to really good stat especially for a PF

but you have to understand who make the space
    and thank you for that

Scola for MVP?
    at least get doubled before that

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Durvasa is dogging Yao. It's just the truth. Yao gets tired at the end. Honestly I blame his teammates (for not getting him the ball quick enough) and second I blame Adelman for not putting a better plan for his minutes.

6. TheDream24

TheDream24 Member

No one said he was, I believe Yao gets tired in the 4th. Yeah he does, but I still think Yao is somewhat a clutch player. What is your take on his clutch play?

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think he is clutch as well. He's had some huge performances. The problem is that like Durvasa said, he is inconsistent. We need his clutch play to be there night in and night out. That's what separates him from being a truly great player.

8. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Scola is my favourite Rocket after Yao. He's so smooth the way he plays, if only S.Swift had this guys brain, we'd see a truly amazing player....he does it with such limited athletic skillz, it's kinda scary.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Mavs were running the 2-man game against Yao in the fourth quarter for a reason. They've always done that, even when Avery and Nellie were the coaches. It's how they got back in the game, and it almost killed us.

I don't want to underestimate Yao's defensive presence. He's arguably been our most important defensive player this year. But tonight, against the Mavs, in that fourth quarter, he was a matchup problem in the Mavericks favor. We need to be better as a team in making that a matchup problem in our favor.

10. Rocketman2002

Rocketman2002 Member

I love Scola, very consistent player, hustle and plays hard. He is the type of player every championship team needs. I love how he gets under the other players skin. :D

11. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Scola stands out as someone who plays like a winner, every time out - I mean, have you noticed that he always seems to be around the basketball and has his nose in every play, regardless of where he originally was positioned on the court? After years of watching Rockets games featuring lackluster effort on the boards from our forwards, Luis' hustle and tenacity is truly a breath of fresh air. I don't know if it's his body language or his reputation, but he seems to carry himself as a winner - and as someone who has won at every level of competition he's played at, it's easy to judge it for yourself by just catching a glimpse of his game. It's hard not to admire his style of play and I still can't believe Morey got the Spurs, of all teams, to trade him.

Luis is the player he is because of the supreme effort he puts forth during every game - doing things on the court that help win games, putting the team first and playing to his strengths; he stands in sharp contrast to someone like TMac, who is the player his because of his supreme talent - but not necessarily someone who plays to his strengths or occasionally seek to make plays for himself instead of his teammates. The funny thing about the two, is that they both have a very high basketball IQ, but only one of the players combines the necessary effort and smarts that it takes to win a championship. Perhaps if the Rockets' feature Scola's game more prominently, then we'll be able to make the next step as a contender.

-Turbo

12. Exiscion

Exiscion Member

Scola played really well this game especially when he was defending Nowitski.
    But statistically, Yao and Artest are more consistent in scoring from game to
    game. You can see this by analyzing the spread in the scoring for all of the games played so far. However, Artest is much less efficient given his low field goal percentage. Considering all of this Yao would be the most consistent primary scorer on the Rockets, Scola is second, and Artest third.

13. mag

mag Contributing Member

Finally people are seeing reality. I remember when people in this board were thinking this team was better with Hayes starting and Scola coming off the bench. :confused:

14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Great post.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If Mcgrady or Yao played the way Scola did(emotionally), they would be top 5 players in the game. I will keep on saying this, Yao's emotions are what hinder him. Mcgrady shows emotion in the playoffs, hence his incredible play.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Luis is getting better game by game. I like him a lot.

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

No, Yao is a competitor. It's his size that keeps him from dominating every game. You guys are too urealistic with the big guy.

18. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Remember all the fans who wanted Landry to start over him??

Scola was better than Landry last season and he has improved more than Landry this season as well.

19. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Without Landry, the drop off is huge. When Scola picked up two quick fouls, he almost cost us the game.

20. smallpotato

smallpotato Member

uh..tonight RA played Yao for nearly 40 minutes.
    Thats why he had so many turnovers.
    I think Yao will be better if our Carl comes back ;)