1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola just falls in line with the other marquee PF's in the league?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Apr 3, 2011.

1. NewBigThree09

NewBigThree09 Member

there is PFs with worse D than Scola? k probably, :p but Scola has to have one of the worst perimeter/pick and roll defense i have ever seen.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Scola's d is no worse than martins. Garry Neal was lighting up Martin.

3. conquistador#11

Martin was lighting up manu..

During the entire season, How many points( average) has martin's matchup scored? is there a stat for that. Would be curious to see.

4. albuster

albuster Member

Whenever Scola is mentioned and Pop bristles that tells you the kind of player Scola is. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, as the saying goes, so leave Scola alone.

Just on sheer heart and hustle alone the other PF's mentioned in this thread are not even close. And yeah, Scola can score with the best of them too.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I would trade half our team for Blake Griffin and not think twice about it.

6. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

he has showed a few

i mean he grew up watching moses malone and hakeem. i'm sure he knows some move but he doesn't feel comfortable using it

scola will teach him some, but only time can tell

7. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

http://www.82games.com/1011/1011HOU.HTM

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Try this link: http://www.82games.com/1011/10HOU7.HTM#bypos

Looking at the stats for SG, Martin scores 35.1 points/48 minutes and he has a PER (Player Efficiency Rating) of 22.7. Martin's opposing SG scores 20.5 points/48 minutes for a PER of 12.9 .

So per 48 minutes, Martin outscores his opposing SG by 14.6 pts and his efficiency level is 9.8 higher than his opponent.

Just to set a baseline, the league average PER is 15 so a NET of +9.8 over your opponent is huge. Obviously, outscoring your opposing SG by 14.6 pts/48minutes is also big.

For comparision purposes, Scola outscores his opposing PF by 4.3 pts/48 Minutes and his PER is 0.3 higher than his opponent.

1 person likes this.
  9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

not asking to trade Scola for a PF. Asking to trade him for a guy similar o his ability but a little better at another position. Then starting Patterson at his position who is capable. Then you have Patterson starting with more defense where you need it at one of the big positions. Also you have a guy who can score like Scola at one of the other positions prefferably a SF upgrade..

10. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Funny how when Yao or Deke were here we were always a top defensive team with Scola at the 4. The reality is you're asking for the impossible. No hand checking+faster players= perimeters player having the clear advantage.

I can't think of how you can constanly keep someone in front of you now days. Like pointed out before, closing the lane and having a 5 who's a shot blocker does wonders when you have certain deficiencies in individual defense.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I find myself cringing when Scola is on the floor lately, if not just plain upset. I'd rather see Patterson out there usually, and that's not for development, it's for winning. Scola should be coming off the bench right now. I think he might do well in that role. With Lowry shooting like he is now, along with Martin and Bud, I think there might be enough scoring in the starting lineup to bring Scola off the bench. Of course he might be making too much money to play that role, so I wouldn't mind seeing him dealt. I think the "able to create his own shot" thing is being overstated. Yes he can do it, but it usually takes 10 seconds. If the Rockets could get him to cut out basketball in the summer, I think it might help him, as he's looked run down during the stretch run this year.

12. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Amare withou Nash = under .500

Phx and NY about the same record despite NY having Melo and Billups next to Amare.

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Griffins defense is just as bad as Scola's.

14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

There's four below average defenders in the starting lineup, and our other lone starter, which he is a great defender, is vastly undersized compared t his counterpart.

Scola is not the only issue here.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I would trade every single player on the rockets for griffin. Morey has shown he can do well drafting and finding undervalued talent so I am not worried about him filing in the rest. but true superstar caliber players are hard to get.

16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Lowry is also an above average defender. Like I said earlier a PG heavy west is gonna make you look bad every night.

But I see your point, if you only have two above average defenders as a unit, and your 5 (who is by far your best defender) is way undersized you can pretty much lay out the red carpet thru the lane.

Then of course that lack os size leads to the offensive rebounding issue. We'll play great D and then look like small kids trying ot rebound with grown men.

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Johnson, Teague, Crawford jsut taking our guys offf the dribble on the perimter and getting to the paint. Nothing scola or hayes can do . this is all on the perimter defenders and hill

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

While Patterson has been amazing this season, you can't underestimate what Scola brings to the table. If the Clips trade Griffin for him, sure you do that trade. But unless its for a clear upgrade you don't let keepers like Scola go. His contract at 9M per is actually a bargain for a big man who gives you 15 and 6, and unlike other big men he doesn't have an ego or a star complex. Trading him for an upgrade at the SF spot would be foolish; there just isn't any PF out there who can give you the production Scola can at his salary without mental problems. With his style of play Scola cna be effective and have an extremely long career like Grant Hill or Mutombo. I see him playing at this level till he's 39.

19. Hemotivo

Hemotivo Member

knicks with Amare = lottery
    :rolleyes:

20. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Scola is a winner. No way anyone should want to loose him.

And, you hit the nail on the head. Scola isn't a strong enough defender to erase perimeter defensive errors. Infact, Scola himself is a player that could use a big quick shot blocker behind him.

2Pat is making everyone salivate with his quickness, size, arm length, leaping ability. Its a need we have, plain and simple, to have some quickness, length and size under the hoop.

But even if we get a big defensive center. No way they defend as well as Hayes.

It will be interesting to see what happens.