1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola just falls in line with the other marquee PF's in the league?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Apr 3, 2011.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

You gotta think about it. We're saying to trade Scola, but in reality there aren't that many p-f in the league that would be an upgrade.

Amare- Worst defender than scola. More athletic. Same Rebounder.

Griffin- Same as Amare

Bosh- same as Amare. Less selfish. Been known to disappear in crucial moments of the game.

The best upgrades are from last generation(which means older than Scola) which is Garnett, TD, Nowitski. Realistically, you want a two-way pf but here aren't many in the league. You definitely dont want to lose Scola's offensive production in the frontcourt for defense because then we back to the Ryan bowen/Juwan Howard day when we used to complain about playing team four on five because we dont have any threat offensive at the pf position and defending pf are just doubling Yao. It must be a lot of new fans because eppl can't definitely be callign for trading Scola if they remember life as pf for the Rockets before Scola. Hayes on the floor with a defensive minded pf(who isnt on par offensively with Scola) is not going to be a great thing to match. Then we really become a perimeter oriented team on offense. Which is what we are now, and look at the results. Imagine hw much worst things get if we trade away our only real true inside presents on offense.

Really i think the problem starts on the perimeter. Scola wuld be a lot more efficient in the game if our guys on the perimeter did a better job of stpping penetration. Martin, Bud, and even Lowry just let their offenders jsut get into the paint. This is one of the main reasons Scola is always out of position. His defensive rotation doesn't help out, but you have to be able to keep guys on the perimter out of the post. You cant just have one decent defender on the perimeter and think that makes up for the ther two underwhelm defenders. No you got to have at least two in the game at all time.

Remember when JVG came to our squad. That was the first thing he took care of. He brought in oldman Wesley and got the rest of the wings committed to stopping(or at least minimizing) dribble pentration from the perimeter into the paint.

Dallas didnt beat San Antonio(legitimately) in the playoffs until they shut down Tony Parker from getting into the paint with devin harris.

1 person likes this.
  2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if you are trying to win now then yes, keep scola and lock up the perimeter. however, the deadline trades showed that the team is looking more long term.

big picture says that it might take a few years to build a contender again. will scola be in line with other all marquee PF's in a few years? probably not. given his age and lack of athleticism, i think we will start to see a steady decline in his game from this point on. i think some fans sense this, see his contract, and have come to the conclusion that moving him while he's worth something is better than being stuck with an over the hill guy on a big contract.

scola is one of my favorite players, but it might be whats best for the team long term. especially when you have a 2-way PF in patterson waiting in the wings to develop.

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

First all let get one thing straight, I would trade Scola in ****ing heartbeat for Blake Griffin.

Second of all, you act as though Patterson(who would replace Scola) is completely inept on offense. You went to the point of indirectly comparing him to Ryan Bowen and Juwan Howard, smh.

The reason, people are willing to move Scola. Is because of the development of Patrick Patterson, and to a lesser extent Jordan Hill. Patterson in his short stint as a starter showed that he could be a better two way player than Luis ever could. While also improving the overall team defense. His also capable of knocking down the mid range at a frequently high rate, so double teaming Yao in low post wouldn't be a big deal if he were to come back.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Paterson hasn't shown he has any good offensive moves. He can hit the jumper, et picks and gets put backs. He needs to improve some on creating a shot. While this team scores a lot, we don't have a lot of guys who can create a shot, and scola is one of them. I am not saying don't trade scola, but lets not pretend he is a scrub.

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Amare is the same rebounder and Giffin is the same as Amare? Huh? Blake Griffin is an elite rebounder. He's #4 in the entire league in rebounding (12.1 reb/game).

Both Griffin and Bosh are better than Scola defensively. Neither Stoudemire or Scola is a good defender.

Bosh, Stoudemire and Griffin are better on offense than Scola. Stoudemire is one of the elite offensive players in the league.

Bosh and Griffin are better rebounders. Stoudemire and Scola are comarable.

Both Amare and Bosh are better shot blockers.

Scola is a solid PF and any team in the league would love to have him but he's not in the same class as those three guys.

6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I never compared Patterson to Bowen/Howard, indirectly or directly. my point is we better finding a taller Chuck hayes than trading Scola.

On the subject of Patterson, I love what i see but theres isnt enough quantitative evidence to convince me he's ready to step into the starting lineup.

7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Yeah but the knock on Scola has been his defense. And thse three guys only have marginal defensive advatage over Scla.

Amare blocks are deceptive. They're mostly weakside help blocks. TD had the series of his career when Amare defending him.Something like 30 and 15 i think. Now Tim Duncan is a great pf but yo got to admit that had a lot to do with Amare guarding him

8. PeppermintCandy

Scola is our go-to guy in the low post by default, but he just isn't a dominant low-post scorer like the elite PFs of the league. There's a reason that when Landry was a Rocket, Adelman opted to go with him instead of Scola at the PF in the 4th quarter.

But combine Scola's scoring ability with his all out hustle and veteran savviness, and you get a player who can put up points at a very high level.
    That doesn't make up for not having a truly dominant low-post presence, but it certainly helps.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm a big Scola fan, but he is not the equal of Griffin at rebounding. Griffin's rebounding % is 18.9, or 7th in the league for those who have played 70+ games. Scola's is 14.2, or 28th in the league for those who have played 70+ games.

But yes Scola isn't expendable. As others have said, PatSquatch cannot yet create his own offense. His wide-open jumpers come off ball-movement. And the rest of his baskets are put-backs. Scola can isolate and post up most of the PFs in the league. If we want to win, we need Scola.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Someone's wearing rose-colored glasses...

11. mag

mag Contributing Member

I would definitely trade Scola if that means we can get a starting center. This team really needs a center!!!!

12. Nook

Nook Member

Scola is a below average defensive player on the Rockets team as currently constructed. He is actually a solid defender when he is next to a defensive center that can block shots and keep the lane to the basket clean... as was the case with Yao and Deke.

Chuck Hayes is a VERY good man defender, but because of his size he is not someone that keeps the lane clear, or alters shots. Therefore the weaknesses in Scola's game are exposed.

Amare is just bad defensively, there is no way around it... he is a poor team and man defender. Griffin is clueless on defense, but he is very young... D.Rose was clueless on defense last year and made adjustments.

Bosh is mentally weak and will never be a plus defender.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

2pat is just a rookie. Playing behind Scola for 2 years or so is not going to stunt his development. Cmon guys,

14. dropshot001

dropshot001 Member

Griffin has so much potential. I would trade scola for him straight up or even with some picks

15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Scola alright with me half the time...That "half" happens to be when on offense...

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

What's wrong with weakside help blocks? The majority of Olajuwon's blocks were weakside help blocks. The Rockets would kill to have a guy that could cover for his teammates and come up with weakside blocks.

Tim Duncan is a Hall of Fame, once in a generation player. The fact that Tim Duncan had a great series proves nothing more than the fact that Tim Duncan is a great player. David Robinson was a perenial NBA All-Defensive team member and former Defensive Player of the year yet he received a torching of historical proportions from Olajuwon. Do you consider Robinson a poor defender because of what Olajuwon did to him?

I'm not sure which playoff series that you are thinking of since the Spurs and Suns met 3 times in the last 4 playoffs.

In '07 Duncan did average 26.8 pts/game in the series vs the Suns but Stoudemire averaged 26.4 in that same series.

In '08 Duncan averaged 27.25 pts/game vs the Suns and he was matched by Stoudemire who also averaged 27.25 pts/game.

In '10 Duncan averaged 20.25 in the playoffs vs the Suns while Stoudemire averaged 20.5 points.

If you are going to credit Duncan's success to the fact that Stoudemire is a poor defender then are you also going to assume that Duncan is a poor defender too since Stoudemire put up equivilent numbers?

EDIT: What about the 2005 playoffs where Stoudemire averaged 37 points per game vs the Spurs in a 5 game series? Duncan is a historically good defender and he got absolutely killed by Amare in '05. That's a great example of what an elite offensive player is capable of regardless of who is guarding them.

#16 aelliott, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  17. CCorn

CCorn Member

I think Pat is the future of our PF man looks solid. Scola is a warrior but is one of the worst defenders I have ever watched. He makes Martin look all team D. I'd trade him for a younger SF if there are any teams that would make that deal. As far as comparing him to Amare...

Phx with Amare= WCF

Phx w/o in lottery

Rockets w/ Scola (Post TMac era)... Lottery

W/o him this season 3-2 about the same.

18. Possum

Possum Member

How many triple doubles does Scola have? Scolas defense is so bad that its nonexistent. Out of all the starters he is the weakest link that has real value. If we expect to bring in someone really good its going to take a package of Scola and draft picks and some of our young talent at the very least.

19. Possum

Possum Member

Oh and if you think Scola and Blake Griffin are =, your out of you're mind.
    :rolleyes:

20. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Hey, let's throw in Pau Gasol if we're going to continue with the Scola=? comparisons. :eek: