1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola for ROY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jacquescas, Jul 16, 2007.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Scola for Finals MVP!!! I think it can happen. :D

2. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Against Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Al Horford, Corey Brewer. If he wins ROY he may win MVP as well. :)

3. Fuse

Fuse Member

I think his competition is really against Oden and Durant. Horford and Brewer are good players, but they aren't exactly guys that will fill up the stat sheet.

4. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I think Al Thornton has ROY locked up. It really just depends on how much PT he can get, but if he gets 20-25 mpg he could be a 14/7/1 guy with high percentages.

5. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

lol thats exactly what i was thinking hahah

6. Fuse

Fuse Member

It really depends on how well he fits on the Clippers, which applies to Scola too. I have more faith in Adelman than Dunleavy in bringing the best out of their players.

7. The Drake

The Drake Member

Actually, I think he's next in line for the Papacy!

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well there is allways all-rookie second team.

i think durrant will get ROY. after that, the all-rookie first team might look like oden, horford, durrant, brewer, conley.

he has a chance after that. yi, scola, green, n.young, law? that's possible.

9. anon3803

anon3803 Member

To quote the Big Tuna:
    "We've got a ways to go here. So put away the anointing oil, OK?"

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If by excelled you mean 3 pts, 3 rbs in two years for Oberto then I am a little confused. I am more hoping for a Nocioni/Garbajosa rookie year - 8-9 pts, 5-6 rbs.

Nowhere close to ROY numbers. Besides, as has been said, he will be on a team with Yao Ming & McGrady, not to mention the other guys who are more experienced in the NBA.

11. Fuse

Fuse Member

But we are also playing in a system where the scoring is spread out. So double digit scoring figures are attainable.

12. rimbaud

Supporting Member

How many Europeans put up double digit scoring as a rookie? Pau Gasol and Kukoc are the only ones who come to mind. That means the odds are against Scola.

EDIT: I just remembered Sabonis.

13. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

Is he really a rookie though? He is 28, is there not an age limit for rookie of the year award? I think he might be the best new player in the NBA next year, but I do not think he should be allowed to compete for rookie of the year title.

It is like Montoya in Nascar. The guy is new but he was already good to begin with so it is not really fair.

14. scola

scola Member

I agree.

Some foreign players with 10+ points in their rookie season.

Gasol 17.6 pts, 8.9 rbs (Grizzlies)
    Ilgauskas 13.8 pts, 8.8 rbs (Cavaliers)
    Yao 13.5 pts, pts 8.2 rbs (Rockets)
    Giricek 11.2 pts, 2.2 rbs (Grizzlies)
    Kirilenko 10.7 pts, 4.9 rbs (Jazz)
    Nene 10.5 pts 6.1 rbs (Nuggets)
    Krstic 10 pts, 5.3 rbs (Nets)

15. rimbaud

Supporting Member

I said Euro so I didn't include the obvious Yao Ming - besides he is special. Forgot about Z, AK, & Krstic.

16. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Yikes, I'll be as happy as everyone else here if that happens. But last year some people thought Novak had a chance at being ROY too w/ his sharp shooting and the team dynamic.

17. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Worst case scenerio he will be a darko and we all know how much they paid that loser and goes to show how valuable big men are even with limited skills. This guy will be good but there are rookies and much weaker teams and this is as many of you said a strong draft so even if he doesnt get ROY he will still have Juwan Howard numbers only with waaaay more defensive presence I hope. 12-7 as a rookie isnt bad.

I think he would go in the top 20 this year if he was drafted but only because of his age. In the past two drafts he would be a top 5.

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Hayes averaged 5.6 pts last year starting. I doubt he'll get 7 being a back up.

Also please stop putting Scola up for ROY now, He'll have enough pressure on him with all the fans looking at him as savior.

Not sure whose fans aren putting more pressure on an incoming rookie. Sonics fans on Durant or Houston fans on Scola.

19. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Probly scola, with Durant theyre just looking for great stats and a few highlights.

With scola we are looking for someone to guard all of the west bigs and score a little not to mention help get us over the hump to the second round

20. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Thats pretty steep expectations but I could see 10 ppg and 6 rpg.