1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola at Center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dave_78, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I have mentioned this once or twice as well as seen others bring it up. I thought the topic has enough substance to get it's own thread.

What are your thoughts on Scola backing up Yao?

I think, from what we have seen so far, this guy can more than hold his own against the majority of the Centers in the league. He is strong, has some size and could really disrupt a lot of bigs down low with how active he is.

If Yao plays 34 minutes a game Scola can slide up and play 10 minutes or so backing him up and leave the garbage minutes for Butler or Mutombo. This would serve the team well in so many facets of the game. Now, Chuck can get his 20-24 minutes at PF with Scola picking up another 18-20 minutes there. Battier (maybe even Bonzi) can slide up to get the remaining minutes at PF when the team goes small. With Battier getting a few minutes at PF we have more minutes for Bonzi and Tmac to play SF. With these guys grabbing a few minutes at SF we have more minutes at the Guard positions thus giving some relief to logjam there.

Not only that, but I think Scola being able to step out and hit the long jumpers is going to open up the lane for penetration. Moving this guy to C gives the team a very unconventional look that should throw most teams off. We have not had the type of Center to give the team a different look in quite some time. Both of our Centers have been planted down low which is great but it is very predictable as we saw team after team just collapse on Yao when the 3s weren't falling from the outside. With an active, mobile, perimeter type C the dynamic completely changes while Yao gets a breather.

Imagine a "small" lineup of

Scola
    Battier/Hayes
    Bonzi/Tmac
    Tmac/Steve
    James/Alston

This team could give the likes of GS or Phoenix a run for there money. And once the other team has adjusted we bring the best Center in the league back in and beat them up down low again.

Meanwhile, Mutombo is getting spot minutes against the conventional, big Centers but not playing so much he is worn down. Come playoff time it will pay huge dividends to have a rested, fresh Mutombo to lean on Duncan and any other true bigs.

The more I think about this the more I like it.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You base this on one exhibition game against the Hornets and one against a FIBA team?

Backup center is a concern for me. Actually, I think the way the roster looks we're going to be playing small ball a lot this year. That's fine if we have players who can excel on offense and make up for it, but I'm not sure we're good enough on that end (turnovers being the biggest issue) to be sacrificing so much defensively.

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that our interior defense won't take a huge hit with Scola or Hayes playing C, and often doing so next to a bunch of wing players. At the same time, I know Adelman isn't going to be play Mutombo or Butler much this year, so we're going to have to make due with it.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Yeah and I know it is early but the center position is not what it used to be. I would not even think of mentioning this 12 years ago but the position is full of PFs pretending to be Centers. Scola also seemed to do quite well against Team USA's bigs in the FIBA tournament.

Obviously, it is early to talk about this but I'm tired of talking about Francis and Rafer's bandwagon.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Good post, Dave. It's great to see how much flexibility we will have this year!

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I agree. I see three viable options behind Yao: Deke, Butler, and Scola. The other forwards, including Hayes, are too short even for smallball.

The next thing is to consider what Adelman wants on the floor from the post position - and versatility is a big one along with mid- or high-post passing. Deke doesn't offer that at all. Butler is a question mark. Scola *appears* to be a major gem on offense.

It's difficult to envision Deke and Hayes on the court together on offense, but not hard to picture Scola and Hayes.

Considering how our logjam is in the guards, the easiest way to ease the congestion is small ball, and moving Scola to C facilitates that. Against teams like Dallas and Phoenix that play F/C lineups often, it makes it even more likely.

Evan

6. Barkley

Barkley Member

I do not think he could be a good backup center. First of all we need him in the startin' 5.

Well, at least we could do that if we traded Yao for Kobe :)

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't mean bring him off the bench but assuming he starts at PF he will simply slide up to C when Yao sits. Hayes will come in and fill Scola's spot at PF.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed on the interior defense, but one of the lineups that stood out to me in the first preseason game I believe was James-Tmac-Battier-Hayes-Scola.

Soft interior D or not, a front line with Battier-Hayes-Scola is a charging call waiting to happen.

9. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Scola played C in these preseason games and Chuck played at 4.
    It needs more time to be adapted but It can be very useful especially when you're running the "small" lineup.

10. aamir

aamir Member

Yeah, this is one part of Adelman's offense that I am very intrigued by.

The two PF front, both playing as mid-hi post passers really opens up the lane for our guards. Plus, we have a lot of great rebounding guards (McGrady, Wells, Francis, etc) who could really take advantage of their match-ups on the offensive boards with the opposing bigs so far out. Have to watch how it works out defensively (but with how physical Hayes and Scola are, it could work), but offensively it sounds really brilliant.

11. poprocks

poprocks Member

I'd run Yao and Scola at the same time and play a version of the double post offense. Yao and Scola as our bigs are gonna cause a lot of other teams trouble. I see Mutumbo backing up Yao. I think Butler gets some minutes but not much/ I think that Hayes will get a lot of minutes backing up Scola.

12. poprocks

poprocks Member

Small ball - Golden State Warriors cloneage?

13. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Adelman has mentioned this combo a few times and I think if Chuck and Luis can get some chemistry going that would definitely be an option that can be successful. In these first two preseason games when they are out there together it looked as if they were struggling a bit, but I think with familiarity they will do well.

I think they are both scrappy enough on the interior to not get beat too badly on defense. Plus as someone said before a Chuck Battier Scola lineup isn't going to let too many people drive into the middle of the lane without drawing a charge.

Something I have also noticed, is that Battier is getting additional rebounds with this more flexible approach on both ends of the court. So I don't think the rebounding is going to be hurt. Especially if a strong rebounder like Bonzi or Stevie play at the same time.

14. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

scola is gonna be one of the most impactful players on this team. his skillset fits PERFECTLY with what the team wants to do.

w/ the lack of great centers nowadays (and seeing how scola held his own v. amare and howard), i wouldn't be surprised to see him play center, battier at PF, bonzi at SF, tmac at SG, and francis/james/alston for a small lineup. we can run v. ANYBODY with that team. that will give the team a different look when yao is on the bench.

scola can be the facilitator at the high post and all our perimeter players will look to score.

then bring yao back and switch it up to a more half-court offense (though we still look to run when the opportunity is there) and just pound them.

again, it's going to be hard for teams to adjust on the fly ike that.

15. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

I think he'll foul out early and often if you try to make him a backup C. Although, against teams who don't have great centers he could be an option. But there's no way he's going up against the 'Zo or chris kamans of the league.

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

In a league where most "centers" are really just converted power forwards, going small is a normal matchup.

17. Barkley

Barkley Member

Ok maybe that would work. But we still have Deke and Butler. I really want to see what Butler can

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I agree the defense will take a hit without a 7 footer back there. I don't think the problem is so much the defense against the opposing C, but help defense/shot blocking against penetration and rebounding. Chuck and Scola are smart and will likely take some charges, but there's something about having some long limbs out there to distrupt interior shots that reduces opponent FG%.

We'll see how it plays out, but I think the backup C minutes, much like it had been the last 2 years, will be by committee. Mutombo may not look like the prototypical Adelman center, but the guy can rebound on both ends, meaning he's not totally useless on offense, he'll probably fit. On the other hand, the Hayes/Scola combo may work better against some other lineups.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I have no idea why we re-signed Mutumbo other that that he's got the whole veteran leadership thing going on.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

foul 6 times is what somebody said in another thread.

I have absolutely no confidence that Butler is going to give us anything but free throws against.