1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SciFi Cinema?] John Goodman & Mary Elizabeth Winstead's '10 Cloverfield Lane'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jan 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Bump....

Reviews rolling in. Currently at 93% on Rotten Tomatoes. Got tickets for tomorrow night. Much excite.

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Can someone tell me if it is related to first movie? (Without ruining it!)

3. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Same universe/world but otherwise not related from what I've read. Kind of like how Marvel does it with their TV versus movie properties.

4. VanityHalfBlack

This is in no way in relation to the movie except for the title being cloverfield. This is an entirely different beast. Will report back.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Interesting...

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The word 'Cloverfield' is in the title.

--------

Just saw it. Great flick, good date movie. Comparisons to Hitchcock movies were pretty on point.

I'll post some feedback tomorrow after I've digested it more.

7. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah... so.... the last act was a completely different movie. The fall out shelter stuff was so tense, and engaging, and scary because the audio in my theater was crank to 10. Then came the last act, preposterous!!!

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Just watched this, I enjoyed it. Very Intense.

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

It's a twilight zone episode, a pretty well done one but I figured that last act would be divisive. I enjoyed it but it does change the tone of the film the rest of the way.

Those wondering, this is a blood relative like a 5th cousin to Cloverfield. There are some slight references thrown in there but very slight and they feel tacked on more than anything. If you think about it, and put some effort into it, you could make a connection.....

Personally, I'd enjoy it more as a stand alone.....

10. VanityHalfBlack

I agree. yeah that last act was like, What???? It was so good, then the tone just threw me off.

11. Xerobull

I think the jarring shift was intentional; Bunker is very cereberal and tense, but the 'real' world going on above them was very different than they imagined. They kept speculating that there were cars or helicopters going overhead when in truth it was...what it was. (are we at open spoilers now?)

I think this film has TONS of meaningful hidden connections to Cloverfield and other Bad Robot films. Check out what the internet is breaking down over on the Reddit 10 Cloverfield Lane Sub.

12. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Please not yet...:grin:

13. VanityHalfBlack

Yeah I'm check that link out. Reddit be goin to work. Love it!!

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I never saw the Cloverfield so can you watch this one without getting lost if you didn't see that movie?

15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Yeah no problem at all. You can enjoy this on it's own, hints are subtle but this is it's own animal so to speak.....

16. Xerobull

Absolutely. It's a great, tense movie.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Saw it and loved it. It's like Alfred Hitchcock in the 21 first century

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, this isn't occurring during the same timeline as the original titled film meaning its an entirely different reality and unrelated? Or, is it events taking place in a bunker/elsewhere during/after that time the first film was taking place in?

Seems kind of lame to use "Cloverfield" in the title if it is unrelated to the first film's events, aka a marketing gimmick.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

From what I understand, it is in the same universe, but unrelated story wise.

One of his next movies, God Particle, is said to follow the same idea.

Just speculation, but I believe they might be building something here where the story is the world, where strange things like this can and do happen, and not in fact, building on the idea that there is a linear string of events occurring.

20. Xerobull

It's part of an 'anthology'. The movies are related, but not directly. Again, there are tons of small tidbits/easter eggs that tie the movies together...but I still think it's enjoyable even if you aren't aware or watching for the tidbits.