1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Science] Voyager I

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Jun 27, 2013.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Voyager I is still doing work.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. Jimes

Jimes Member

Wow, mind-blowing.

3. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

V ger rules.

4. supdudes

supdudes Member

Science, what is that all about?

Techmology, what's all about?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ws6HPTom2AY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

I started a thread on this when Voyager first hit the Heliopause back in 2003 -- It's very hard for me to believe that was a decade ago! It's also hard to imagine the massive distance Voyager has traveled in that 10 year period and it still hasn't officially left the solar system.

The article I posted way back in 2003... link

[​IMG]

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

Thanks for posting that, I've always been very interested in Voyager 1 and 2 since I was a kid. They are truly impressive pieces of hardware, they'll still be traveling long after we are all gone.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I wonder if they could make anything that lasted that long these days. Its even more amazing they managed to all this with computers as powerful as a calculator now days.

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

I know what you mean, for them to have survived as long as they have with tech from the late 70s is incredibly impressive.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

The Voyagers use magnetic tape to record things like Pet computer or Commodore computer used cassette tapes back in the 70s.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Of course we could. The question would be whether it is considered cost effective to do so now.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

^ New Horizons has the same secondary mission.

Per wiki:

New Horizons is designed to fly past one or more Kuiper belt objects (KBOs) after passing Pluto [2015]. Because the flight path is determined by the Pluto flyby, with only minimal hydrazine remaining, objects must be found within a cone, extending from Pluto, of less than a degree's width, within 55 AU.

Provided it survives that far out, New Horizons is likely to follow the Voyager probes in exploring the outer heliosphere and mapping the heliosheath and heliopause.

Even though it was launched far faster than any outward probe before it, New Horizons will never overtake either Voyager 1 or Voyager 2, as the most distant man-made object from Earth. Close fly-bys of Saturn and Titan gave Voyager 1 an advantage with its extra gravity assist. When New Horizons reaches the distance of 100 AU, it will be travelling at about 13 km/s (29,000 mph), around 4 km/s (8,900 mph) slower than Voyager 1 at that distance.

12. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Member

I highly recommend listening to the Voyager record (most of it is on youtube). The 'sounds of earth part' is absolutely crazy if you listen to it from the point of view of an alien. The greetings are also really interesting. The English greeting was the only one spoken by a child.

The music is all over the place, but there were some good choices in there. And who knows what kind of music some alien race will think sounds good? I think Carl Sagan's choice of music was okay. He really wanted to capture as much earth culture as possible.

I love NASA.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

[​IMG]

I always wondered who slipped this crappy sketch on the record -- it has to have been drawn by one of the engineers' kids.

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

This one might confuse some other intelligent lifeforms:

[​IMG]

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Literal LOL -- some of those pictures are so absurd -- this is what we want our legacy to be for some alien in a billion years... stoners?

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

^^^ Yeah good question, KingCheetah.

NASA intended the following image, but at the last minute, it was switched.

[​IMG]

There are also rumors that stickers from the Church of the Subgenius were placed on the probe just before launch. If so, that is a kind of vandalism that could have terrible consequences for the entire planet. Not kidding.

1 person likes this.
  17. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

What a waste of money. They should use that to take care of people on earth.

- Signed, Idiot

18. Christopher

Christopher Member

I was looking at at some of the images that are on the "golden record" last night and having a good laugh. (Just a note: I mean on a web site, I'm not an alien).

Its like a those random CD's you'd get with computers sometimes in the 90's that had a random collection of images, sounds clips and just weird stuff on them.

I know they tried to make it so that intelligent life should be able to work out how to read the info on the record and be able to use it, but I couldn't help but think how bloody difficult they actually made it!

A few decades on and we could send along something that would require an alien to simply press play (Audio or video) and they would receive really interesting, relevant information about life on Earth. Instead what is out there right now is so cryptic, I just found it funny! :-D

The strange one for me was the picture of the highway. It made me think how terrifying it would be for earth to receive an image of an aliens mass transit system.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Nice try alien... i'm guessing you are a Grey -- sneaky and looking for human DNA samples.

NOT UNDER MY WATCH

20. Christopher

Christopher Member

Just step into the probulator already!!! :-D

There's an image they sent of a woman breastfeeding. I had to laugh at the thought of some aliens thinking "It seems to have some sort of parasite attached to it!!".

1 person likes this.