1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Science & Religion]God Created Human Brains to Believe in Him

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by weslinder, Feb 6, 2009.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've accused supporters of Intelligent Design of being intellectually lazy but I think if we are going to say that spiritual phenomena is unjustifiable based on what we know I would say that is also being intellectually lazy. What we don't know about the universe dwarfs what we do. While we can say that at the moment we haven't had any verifiable proof regarding metaphysical phenomena that doesn't mean that it can be totally ruled out.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Intellectual laziness is pervasive in most people. What's sad is how some people would like to claim a higher intellectual standing but not take any time in pursuing another form of knowledge because they think it'll waste time.

It happens in everyone. Wasting time is overrated.

3. LScolaDominates

So we can't rule anything out. We can't rule out that if I jump off a ten-story building I will remain suspended in mid-air. We can't rule out that there's a teapot orbiting Saturn.

Ruling out "metaphysical phenomena" is not intellecually lazy. It's perfectly rational given that there is not a single example of one such phenomenon.

4. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Science is just a way of humans trying to explain what people who have faith believe to be divine.

Faith and science are in many ways contradictory to each other.

Take nature for example, science tries to explain all the intricacies of how and why things function. But if you just observe it without prejudice its hard to conclude its anything but divine. There is to much harmony and structure with no sense of conscience. As an engineer I find the design just amazingly perfect and self sustained.

Or why do humans seem to be the only species with awareness? Humans have awareness and a conscience? The rest of nature just does but humans have creativity?

Just my perspective on the thread topic...I could go on but I don't think my boss is paying me to chat on the BBS :D