1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Science & Religion]God Created Human Brains to Believe in Him

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by weslinder, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree
    I tend to think of God as a person
    and
    us individuals like blood cells.

while one can say we direct our blood cells and control them
    it is not on a conscious level and it is most times to our benefit of the overall body more than the individual cells.

Rocket River

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I believe in God, I think religion is all made up bogusity.

;)

DD

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

While I may not totally agree with this statement, I think that God probably doesn't like a lot of things that have been done by man supposedly in the name of God.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Dude, it's just physics.

It's always been here, it always will be here, it's limitless in it's possibilities, we are one possibility, existing now. If you could step outside your own perspective of time and space, you could see it.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

you basically just saying.. .. . its luck

Rocket River
    Luck is more beleivable than someone making something
    The computer I am on . . it was just luck. . . physics . . . possibilities

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

These are some interesting studies but I think things like belief in the supernatural are only hardwired to the extent of tendencies and are not determinitive. As we learn more about genes, evolution, brain physiology and in utero development there is always the temptation to say that human behavior is predetermined and that it is mostly nature and little nurture. As we learn more though that isn't true as our genes aren't destiny but at best probability.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on what time scale you are looking at. Looking at the time scale of your lifetime yes you can say that the computer was created by an intelligence for a reason but if we expand that time scale you have to ask what created the humans that had the idea to make a computer? For that matter how did the humans come up with the idea to make a computer?

You can say that the computer exist because an intelligence made it but how did that intelligence come about? Its just as possible that the forces of physics just happened to work in a way that led to humans that could create computers.

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Dawkins discusses this idea in The God Delusion at length. It's perfectly legitimate, but hardly proof. Just evolution.

9. aghast

aghast Member

You describe the watchmaker's fallacy.

You did not come together perfectly. You were born with more teeth than can fit in your mouth. Those same teeth are now rotting, and they will likely fall out years before your natural death. Your back, as a consequence of standing upright, will cause you great pain throughout your later years. Your joints will fail your; arthritis will set in. Cognition will decline. You are home to a vestigial organ without function. You will prove victim to a myriad of diseases in your life, each of which capitalizes on a separate imperfection in you, one of which will kill you. If not, your body's frailty will be otherwise revealed: you will succumb to a car accident, a bathtub slip, a mugger's blade.

Most tellingly, you write imperfectly, each thought requring a new line, each ellipsis revealing the broken, staccato nature of those thoughts.

In short, what I'm saying is: paragraphs. Please. For (your computer-maker's) sake.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

humans are the perfect imperfections

Rocket River
    :D

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.metrolyrics.com/o/492da13d111f5ab4/498e3bca05d7c975/492da13d46e17ea3/68d7af1c/-cpid/ed4c8dbbfbd6ea09" id="W492da13d111f5ab4498e3bca05d7c975" width="300" height="270"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.metrolyrics.com/o/492da13d111f5ab4/498e3bca05d7c975/492da13d46e17ea3/68d7af1c/-cpid/ed4c8dbbfbd6ea09" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /></object><br /> <br /><a href="http://www.metrolyrics.com/billy-preston-lyrics.html">Billy Preston Lyrics</a><br /><a href="http://www.metrolyrics.com/">That%27s The Way God Planned It Lyrics</a></embed>

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, the human brain can't normally handle structures of immense scales. So we create models to simplify and explain things. One humanly natural model or framework is the social stereotype of particular groups.

Even without religion, I'm pretty certain people would prop up science to a devout degree of worship and praise. It provides structure and guidance to a chaotic and unpredictable world.

So it takes a certain degree of faith in of itself to assume that our scientific models can accurately extrapolate results for complex systems.

Ironically, this realization is exactly where studying and discussing religious thought can step in. After all, "Faith begins precisely where thinking leaves off."

13. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

God IS real. Period. Someone put the creation of the universe into motion, it didn't just start on its own, like the big bang. The answer is God folks he lit the dynamite.

14. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

"Other studies suggest our minds come with an overdeveloped sense of cause and effect, which primes us to see purpose and design everywhere, even when there is none."

15. Ryan Bowen MVP

God created us in his image.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BS, The Universe is MILLIONS and BILLIONS of years old......

If you are right, Why did God put the bones of Dinosaurs beneath us?

To throw us off track right? lol

17. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

How I reached faith:
    I believe the universe to be infinite.
    I believe an infinite universe should contain infinite possibilities.
    I believe God is possible.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

EVERYONE can agree with that. It is when people claim that the specific God
    they happen to believe is THE God. It has been like this forever. Whoever
    happens to be in power, gets to choose the God they want their people believing in...

The problem-

There have been hundreds and thousands of different religions in
    hundreds of thousands of years, since man walked the earth.

Let us take Christians for instance...
    How in the hell is the God they made up, any more holy or true than
    the millions of other Gods that were invented...
    If God created the earth as the bible describes...Why did he put ancient
    cultures that dated back to thousands of years ago underneath the earth?
    Dinosaurs?

So what happens now, is a bunch of these religious fanatics get together
    and talk about how the God they believe is a better God, and has a much bigger slong. = War.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Wow, you're a fundamentalist. I don't know many Christians who believe the earth is 6,000 years old. I know there are some out there...I'm not among them. I believe God created the people who built those ancient cultures...and I believe God created dinosaurs as well. I don't find real contradiction to that in the Bible. The Bible puports to be the story of man's relationship to God...it is not a science text.

By the way....these threads, while somewhat interesting, have also grown somewhat tiresome to me after 40 million posts here. Yes, I'm here posting so I'm not really complaining...but we speak about this all so clinically. When you see people's REAL lives change...when you're involved in that...when you feel that yourself...it becomes a lot less clinical...a lot less sterile. This is all a bunch of talk here...and there's nothing wrong with that because I love to talk! :)

But it reminds me a lot of the book they rip apart in Dead's Poet Society that tries to measure the quality of poetry on a graph. Poetry, like God, is something to be experienced...not merely talked about. In honesty, that's among my chief criticisms of the Church...too much talking about Jesus, not enough living as Jesus calls.

I'm ultimately a fool for Jesus. There's a faith component to that, to be sure. But if I'm wrong, I wouldn't regret seeking to follow him....my life is far better for it from my perspective.

A lot of you have been hurt by the Church or by some bad experience with religion. I see that in your responses about God. Venom turns out in droves in these threads, particularly in the form of, "let me show you what an idiot you are for believing X." I hate that the Church has been part of building that in people...because most can't see past that to see God...or ascribe their pain to God or the notion of Him.

#39 MadMax, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  20. aghast

aghast Member

Who lit the dynamite to create God? Who lit the dynamite to create the creator of God? You mustn't stop after one iteration.

You find a watch (or computer) on the ground, and reason that there must be a watchmaker who made that watch. You find a watchmaker on the ground, and assume there must be a god(s) who made the watchmaker. You find a god(s) on the ground, you therefore must assume X made that god(s). You find the X on the ground, you must assume there must be some W who made that X. And so on and so forth. You cannot just stop that line of reasoning when it's convenient to your argument.