1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Science & Religion]God Created Human Brains to Believe in Him

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by weslinder, Feb 6, 2009.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-hardwired-believe-God-imaginary-friends.html

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It makes sense to me that an overdeveloped sense of "cause and effect" would come about in the course of natural evolution.

[rquoter]Other studies suggest our minds come with an overdeveloped sense of cause and effect, which primes us to see purpose and design everywhere, even when there is none.[/rquoter]

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

There are lots of people who don't believe in God until much later in life. Interesting article, though.

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

My brain must be malfunctioning then, because I have always found the idea pretty ludicrous.

6. MadMax

Exactly. That's why I have a hard time with a study like this.

I know people who've arrived at faith for lots and lots and lots of different reasons. Some by their own reason...some because "i've always believed"...some because of some experience that changed them...etc.

If people all arrived at faith in the same way, perhaps I'd feel differently about this article.

And that it would suggest there's something abnormal about someone who doesn't believe is troubling to me, too.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

But they believe in Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and the boogie man.

8. MadMax

:D Uh, no.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People do not want to feel lonely.

We are scared of what we do not understand, what is not tangible.
    So we make **** up!:)

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Survival is a primal instinct. Faced with the certainty of death, the human mind copes by accepting the concept of life after death as a chance at the continued survival of the consciousness.

11. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

What is this "believe in God" crap?

Apparently the practitioners of other religions are mentally handicapped.

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

OK, so wes's and the article's titles don't match the article itself.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm not a believer, and yet I have no problems with a study like this. What they describe makes a lot of sense to me. How else could one explain that virtually every culture in historical times had a belief in a God?

In my opinion, there's no contradiction in believing our brains are "wired" to believe in a God, and yet no supernatural God-entity actually exists. As it said:

"Other studies suggest our minds come with an overdeveloped sense of cause and effect, which primes us to see purpose and design everywhere, even when there is none."

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Actually, the fact that people arrive at the same conclusions via multiple paths kinda supports the idea that our brains are naturally predisposed to faith.

There is one thing that is fairly constant with humanity. We always seek answers to questions. Our brain obviously works to solve problems. When something occurs that we cannot solve, we have to 'invent' an answer.

15. MadMax

There are more than a few faith traditions that do not speak of afterlife. The Sadducees among the Jewish did not.

My personal faith has very little to do with what happens when I'm dead. Jesus isn't fire insurance to me.

Maybe this is part of my problem with this study...that it assumes to much about what faith is...or better stated, it doesn't encompass enough of what faith is beyond, "i believe."

#15 MadMax, Feb 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  16. MadMax

Given this response, I don't think i did a very good job of explaining myself earlier. I'll try later.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

A new direction to take to try and DISPROVE God's existance

I think it is crazy to NOT BELEIVE in a maker
    Seriously. . .
    I look at this computer in front of me and think
    1. DID SOMEONE MAKE THIS THING
    or
    2. DID IT RANDOMLY and LUCKILY JUST CAME TOGETHER PERFECTLY TO WORK

Tell me. . . which is more logical?

Rocket River
    Look at I-Robot - when man Makes an inteligent being
    do you seriously think we WON'T HARDWIRE some commands into it?

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You mean like Dark Matter?

Understanding how someone does something. .. does not discount that THEY DID IT.

Rocket River

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

But who would win in a fight between God and Q ?

DD

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I can agree to a point. I can say that God doesn't exist within the context of mainstream religions (you are going to go to this place or that place, if you don't do this or that or have to perform some ceremony/ritual to invoke a spirit...yeah that is kind of silly), but to say there are no supernatural or super beings in the universe is kind hard to prove from both directions. We're so primitive in the grand scheme of things, we couldn't possibly know what exists... it could be anything beyond our reality or absolutely nothing. We can't quite quantify, yet.

Here's a way to some it up, an athiest can't prove (logically) that there is no God/Gods, while a believer can't prove definitely (through logic) that there are Gods/Gods. It's almost unwinnable argument in both directions.

If there is God, I believe he's much closer to a deist/theist interpretation of him/her/it...which is mainly...they're here, but not specifically for you, as it doesn't need your allegiance for anything.