1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sci-Fi Cinema] Hugh Jackman In Neill Blomkamp‘s 'Chappie'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Nov 4, 2014.

1. SunsRocketsfan

looks like crap. im going to go watch 50 shades of grey instead

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Better than it was yesterday when I looked and it was 15%.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You got a secret?

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

If this flops does it end the notion that Neil Blomkamp is the next great Sci-Fi director?

5. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I think he got a little full of himself after his first movie(District 9) was a critical success. Elysium was meh, and I saw from a mile away that Chappie wasn't going to blow me away.

I guess we will see if he can turn the Alien franchise around or if it will be another crappy Alien sequel to throw on the pile

6. ClutchCityReturns

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cdEQmpVIE4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I noticed the change in how they advertise this movie
    First it seemed for Short Circuit-ish . . . fun and light
    now
    IT is so gritty and dark . . . .

I guess the first approach did not work

Rocket River

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

District 9 was awesome, but I can't believe how much hype that one movie got him. His Alien movie is most likely going to be weak as well.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah I think the first one just seemed creepy. Like they were trying to tell a love story. The second one was more sifi and made me want to watch it for the action.

10. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Member

8/10. i really don't get the rotten tomatoes hate. totally dug the anti heroes. dev patel was great as usual.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Interesting, on metacritic, the critics are at 40% but the moviegoers are about double that (last I checked).

Someone said there it has the feel of a sci fi from 30 years ago, the ET era. As an old dude, that interests me. And of course, there's Die Antwoord.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Cool, watch a chick movie instead of robots blowing each other up. Please dispose of unused male genitalia in nearest trash receptacle.

13. The Real Shady

The same, but with sci-fi flavor.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

When the action scenes emerge in Blade Runner, it is a beautiful and logical element of the plot that is merely a part of what makes it a great film. Blomkamp struggles to move beyond the mundane action scenes that we've witnessed before, in his own films and elsewhere. I'll probably see this, but then I'm a sucker for science fiction. Elysium was shockingly bad, though. I may have to wait for cable.

15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Member

now that you mention it, yes... it does give that vibe. it's been 27 years or so since i've seen "short circuit", but think of chappie as that movie in a district 9/esylium setting. director doesn't stray too far from his formula, but he blends in humor in the appropriate places. emotions jump all over the place in this film, but i left feeling that it was fun.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

17. dback816

dback816 Member

Was thinking about the something. The initial trailers felt like a robot version of Dibs.

Now it's all out wars and explosions in the trailers.

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

Well the movie I don't think was quite as bad as critics claim, but it's not that great either. So it's stuck at being rather average. Nice to watch, good action and score. But the writing is just all over the place. It suffers the same problem as Elysium in that it presents a number of different themes but never really explores any of them. And none of the human cast is like-able and are rather annoying. I can dig anti-heroes, but in this film I was rooting for everyone but Chappie to die.

It's interesting how similar Blomkamp is to Shyamalan. They both parlay the success of one iconic film into a whole string of progressively worse stories. Only Blomkamp might be doing it at a faster rate. And both of them recycle elements of their work over and over again. The first shots in Chappie were completely unnecessary but started in almost the exact same way that District 9 did, maybe even Elysium but I can't remember. Blomkamp better drop his ego and realize his limitations before it's too late for him. I think he can be a great director, just leave the writing to someone else now.

19. HeWhoIsLunchbox

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I loved it, though I'm not as critical as a 'professional critic' thus I'm not going to find or care about minute flaws in writing. I judge films based on how much emotion it draws from me and Chappie is a film that generated a wide range of emotions from me.

BTW, Hans Zimmer nails it once again. The score on this film really just sucks you in and enhances the 'epicness' of the film.