1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schools in Virginia shut over anger at Islam homework

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mr. 13 in 33, Dec 18, 2015.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

We used to sing religious Christmas songs in elementary school Music class.

"Hannukah, Hannukah, festival of lights. . . ."

"Do you know what I know?
    Do you know what I know?
    A Child, A Child shivers in the cold.
    Let us bring him silver and gold."

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why??

3. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

My 2 cents:
    Just like I can think of 50 things off the top of my head to read translated from Greek than the New Testament that resonate better with modern readers, the same is true for Arabic and the Koran.

There are great Arabic writers, musicians, and filmmakers with unique voices about the world now, as it is, that the West ignores because they think a cursory read of the Koran is an understanding of "Arab culture." Like seriously this was nominated for an Academy Award, and deservedly so. It's one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I saw it last night in Austin. There were 4 people in the theater, including my friend, while the theater next door was packed with manchildren playing with their wookies.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pnEd_WSGtWQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I got suckered into joining choir when I was in High school. The Choir teacher use to make us sing all this Christian music and it was horrible. She was a snatch also.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Several liberals and journalists of pretty much every stripe do too.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Last thing I wanted to say about calligraphy. Sure, you could have used a phrase with no religious significance written in calligraphy, but you would have missed the lesson that when this artform was being developed, it was heavily steeped in the religion. It'd be like studying icons, but wanting to use an example that didn't feature Jesus, Mary, or any of the saints.

Lol, a useful question in real life that's totally pointless on the web. If you didn't understand the post, read it again.

7. The Stig

The Stig Member

If they're mad about kids learning Arabic letters, they're going to go ballistic when they find out where numbers came from.

2 people like this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

The obamification of America is complete :(

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Why the outrage? I would've just looked up something else in Arabic, and had my kid copy it free hand. Then send a note to the teacher on why we didn't complete the homework as it was assigned. Lesson on Arabic still learned, and outrage avoided.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Who cares, why is this story all over the media. A teacher may have ****ed up, it got noticed, action was taken to investigate it, no damage done to anyone. Happens every day.

There is not enough time in the few hours a day we spend reading and analyzing news for this to be in our reading list. The media wanted to use us to make money, they did thanks to the clicks. Now let's move on.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is a biggest question, and probably offensive to many.

Let's just say that without religion you would still have people doing great things, and evil things but only religion can get good people to do evil things.

DD

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Circular reasoning is circular. Please refer to Logic 101 - rephrasing a question as a statement does not answer the question. LOL.

13. amaru

amaru Member

I'm an agnostic atheist and I disagree with this portion of the post. Individuals tend to be intelligent, but people are stupid. In groups, we tend to descend to the lowest common denominator. You can get a group of people to do anything under the right circumstances. It is true that various creation myths are often used to justify atrocities. But these atrocities are very likely to have occured even if no deities were involved.

14. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

for art class they'll be asked to draw pictures of Muhammad.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Ironic. Is it religion that makes you say such hurtful things, or are you evil?

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's because Islam forbids idolatry that calligraphy and grandiose mosque interiors flourished as spiritual Muslim art forms.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The teacher picked a statement that is inflammatory. Bad move.

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Most of the greatest and most famous chorale pieces in history are religious or sacred in nature. You can't avoid it. I did the same for one year in high school and participated in Mozart's Requiem, entirely in Latin. It was an epic Catholic Mass.

On topic, why close the schools?

#58 across110thstreet, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015