1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Schoolin'] Does the 'Online' prefix degrade the value of a degree?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 4, 2014.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm looking at getting an MBA through University of Houston - Clear Lake.

There are two options- MBA and Online MBA. The 'Online' prefix is new and I'm seeing it pop up everywhere.

However, I feel that it cheapens/degrades the prestige of the degree. My first reaction looking at it from an employer's standpoint was that it doesn't take as much effort to get. I know that's irrational as you have to do the same coursework, but there's a time element to driving to campus, sitting through tedious classes and doing team projects face to face. I also realize that old-school employers (baby boomers and older Gen-X) look at these degrees as just something that you paid for (thanks, U of Phoenix, DeVry, etc).

The thing that gets me is that it costs the same and as I said earlier, the coursework takes the same amount of time to complete. You're essentially getting hamstrung as an employed person trying to better yourself in your free time.

Thoughts? Am I over-thinking this?

2. ICanDunkOnYao

ICanDunkOnYao Member

"University of Houston - Clear Lake" is what cheapens your degree.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Get the degree first... consequences later.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, primarily because the application entrance requirements are equally less stringent

That said, some schools are starting to offer advanced degrees without any difference. Georgia Tech is offering an online Masters in compsci for $7000 vs $30k plus. However, you can't do it unless you make it through their normal application process

1 person likes this.
  5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Well what a stupid answer.

In response to OP, I would feel that as long as you're putting in the extra work to obtain that MBA it shouldn't matter if you spent time in an actual classroom or did all of the work online. It's still a valuable degree from an accredited university. It's just the way things are now. Courses are being made more available and convenient to those persons working a full time job in their field already. Not everyone can afford to take time off or leave work early to further their education and I think many employers are realizing this. Plus it shows dedication to be able to be working full time and getting that MBA regardless if it was through online classes or not. Everyone's situation is different.

1 person likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Real question: Can you offer a better alternative for someone who works full time in Houston? (this is a lesson in troll vs helpful poster)

Interesting. I'll look in to the entrance requirements.

A friend of mine, very, very good programmer with an engineering degree couldn't make the GT app process.

1 person likes this.
  7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Also, it should be noted that many schools don't actually differentiate between the online vs. traditional program on the awarded diploma.

My cousin got an online MBA from A&M but didn't have to make the distinction on his CV. I believe it is the same situation with the Georgia Tech Masters in CS program that heyp mentioned

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

What people fail to realize is that UHCL us designed to accommodate those with full time working commitments because the majority of their classes are afternoon and evening classes.

9. Xerobull

Not 100% true as they converted to a 4-year university this year, but I see your point.

However, every class I drive to takes an additional hour to attend, not to mention the cost of fuel, wear and tear on my vehicle and parking fees. Also, by and large traditional classes are much too slow for my tastes. I like the self-paced aspect of online classes.

10. Xerobull

That's true as my degree does not make this distinction, but if you look around, it's happening more and more.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

UH, Rice, UT, A&M. They all have weekend programs. They are more expensive and a little harder to get into. However they all have like 70% acceptance rates.

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This is a great point. I want to make sure that the OP also knows that these programs are local. A&M has their Executive MBA program at Katy Freeway and the Beltway. I am not sure where UT has their local MBA program.

13. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First of all, what do you want to get into? Do you want to "learn", network, advance in your current field, or go into a different field? These are the answers that we need to fully evaluate your situation.

For example, I'm getting an MBA at Texas Tech. It's not known to be a powerhouse in anything, but I need to have this degree in order to be a Chief Medical Officer or COO in a hospital. In my case, my MD trumps this MBA and in most situations, it doesn't matter if I got it online or in person because my experience and the MD degree is what's important. If you're not changing careers and just need this degree to advance as a requirement, then it doesn't matter.

If you need to change careers, it is probably better to go to a weekend program that's ranked a bit higher. For example, Rice is rated lower than A&M and UT, but it is generally stronger in Oil & Gas and banking in Houston (from my friends at these schools; n=5).

BTW, MBAs are not prestigious anymore, unless it's from a "top" school. It's more and more becoming like law school.

#13 Medicine N Music, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  14. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also, the real value of an MBA program is from the relationships you build with classmates, professors, and with the alumni network. This is where the traditional programs come in. I have met and spoken to 5 CEOs since I've been in my MBA program and opportunities are endless. If I went to all the lectures and events, I may have been able to meet every single Healthcare executive in Lubbock. If you're comfortable making new friends or just asking simple questions in person, it is very easy to "hang out" with the C-suite. Develop a relationship through mentoring or whatever and it will pay dividends down the road.

15. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Waste of time, essentially university of Phoenix. Do it right. Anyone who matters won't have respect for an online degree.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Do it right, meaning physically go to class? The OP stated that he/she can't, because of work.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Tell him don't sweat it. Their degree is actually vaporware at the moment. I got accepted, but then found the courses are not set up yet via web, so I got my money back. They only have a few courses, not a full degree. It was weird...like "Come On" you made me submit an application, forward my Rice transcript,,,yada yada and you don't really have the program fully in place yet.

thx for nothing

18. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i don't know about houston schools, but texas state's mba program's classes all start at 6:30 pm so full time workers can attend

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If they're dumb enough to put it on the damn diploma, absolutely. But I worked for an energy firm in Omaha and half the finance function had online MBAs from Bellevue. The logistics of getting a degree and working full time aren't there yet, let alone that of getting math or fully fledged science degrees, so online is the only option for some.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON