1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

School Tells Cop Not to Wear Uniform & Gun to Pick Up His Own Daughter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Richie_Rich, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

School tells SWAT Officer not to wear his uniform and gun on campus when picking up or dropping off his own daughter

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://KSAZ.images.worldnow.com/interface/js/WNVideo.js?rnd=156763;hostDomain=www.myfoxphoenix.com;playerWidth=630;playerHeight=385;isShowIcon=true;clipId=9373841;flvUri=;partnerclipid=;adTag=News;advertisingZone=;enableAds=true;landingPage=;islandingPageoverride=false;playerType=STANDARD_EMBEDDEDscript;controlsType=fixed'></script><a href="http://www.myfoxphoenix.com" title=""></a>

[from FOX 10 News in Phoenix]
    He's not the type of armed man on campus you'd expect parents to be concerned about -- but apparently a police officer dropping off his daughter at school was just too scary for some parents in Mesa.

And the school principal actually called that officer to ask him not to wear his uniform on campus ever again.

The issue was that other parents were concerned because he had a gun.

The officer, who works for the Coolidge Police Department, is a parent of a kid that goes to Entz Elementary School in Mesa.

The request made by school officials to not wear his uniform and gun on campus shocked and upset a lot of people.

All Scott Urkov did was drop his daughter off at Entz Elementary School. Little did he know that what he was wearing that day would lead to a call from the principal.

"There were some parents who were concerned about that fact that there was a fully armed officer on campus and they spoke to the principal about it," said Helen Hollands, spokesperson for Mesa Unified School District.

She says the principal spoke with Officer Urkov and asked him not to wear his uniform and gun to school anymore.

Shortly after, the officer posted this comment on his Facebook page:

"Nothing like your kids school calling and asking if I could not come to pick up my daughter in uniform cause parents were concerned when their kids came home telling them there was a man at school with a gun. Are you freaking kidding me?"

"Well I was a little surprised," said parent Blaine Spencer. "I think that it's his right to wear that in public."

Mesa Unified School District officials say they didn't realize they had upset or offended the officer by asking him not to wear his uniform here on campus.

"We apologize that he took the discussion the wrong way perhaps, that was not the intent of the principal to offend him," said Hollands.

And while some parents weren't too keen about an officer with a gun on campus, others say their kids would feel a lot safer.

"Even if my kids saw that I think they'd feel more protected to see a man in uniform at their school," said Spencer.

Officer Urkov told me he was advised by his department not to comment on this story, and to "just let it be."

Meanwhile, while school officials' initial reaction was to ask the officer not to wear his gun and uniform to school, they are now saying they want to turn this incident into "a teachable moment."

They invited the officer to a special assembly to talk about what police officers do for the community.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Seems like something is missing from the story. Was there an incident if some sort I wonder. Seems odd otherwise, especially for Arizona.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Obama's fault......Thanks Obama!!!:rolleyes:

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Amusing stuff. Too bad there isn't a thing they can do about it.

Here in Ga, as long as you have a permit, you are allowed in the schools with your gun as long as you are picking up or dropping off a student.

However, I am not allowed to carry in a church.

5. Major

Major Member

Why is this news? Cop goes to school to pickup his kid. A few other kids freak out. Parents mention it to the school. School asks cop not to wear gun to school. The end.

Nowhere does it say this was a demand. Nowhere does the cop say he was banned. Are principals no longer allowed to suggest things that might make kids or parents less worried? Was there a real harm to asking this? If the cop wants to continue wearing his stuff, there doesn't seem to be anyone suggesting that's not allowed. I don't see what the issue is.

6. g1184

g1184 Member

This one time I was driving too fast in a residential neighborhood and a concerned mother yelled at me to slow down. True story.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It seems absolutely reasonable, and I don't understand why he's so offended by it.

Otherwise, a random guy can enter a school dressed like a cop with a gun, pretending like he's just dropping off his kid.

8. Space Ghost

:confused: Or he could conceal it, or he could run his car through the entrance or he could shoot his way in, or .... there are many other ways more efficient than dressing up as a cop.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so because you can't stop all the ways of getting into a school it's unreasonable to stop any of the ways.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Here is your answer...

Need to keep feeding the core meat... even if it ignores this happened in a fully red state...

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

What does the SWAT uniform look like?

12. Space Ghost

Preventing law enforcement from going into school is reasonable?

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They asked him to not wear his uniform either. The kids and particularly other parents reacted incorrectly. The school and district are showing a bizarre disdain for law enforcement officials.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I would guess either a SWAT t-shirt or polo with all basic patrol equipment; unless they're affiliated with and dress like the local squad.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

That is stupid. I'd be more concerned if a random citizen were brandishing a weapon while picking off/up his or her kid. If its a cop? Who cares? I think its absolutely stupid that parents try their best to shield their kids from reality. Sex, drugs, violence. Why censor them? I'm not saying start showing kids p*rn or R-rated movies, but society is far too concerned about stupid **** like this.

16. Major

Major Member

It's an elementary school. Kids are going to react the way they react - you aren't going to control that or stop that and shouldn't expect rational adult behavior from a little kid. If a 6 year old is freaked out by seeing an officer and a gun, then that's life. The job of the school principal is to deal as best as possible with reality.

And again, the school *asked* him to do so because it would make things better for everyone. There's no "disdain" there" - it's a school principal trying to accommodate his or her students as best as possible. If the guy doesn't want to comply, there's no consequences and they didn't force him into anything.

17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like an issue values voters would make.

18. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

This is a really dumb title to a dumb story. Whose daughter would he be picking up or dropping off if not his own?

19. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

girlfriend's daughter?
    invalid neighbor's daughter?

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, that's not reasonable. Nor is it what happened in this story.