1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ScheftBomb! Watson formally requests trade

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Yup we can all see it coming, but for some reason these fools can’t. It’s like watching a horror movie.

whag00 likes this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Last May...what do you expect a player to say about their HC/GM when asked by a media member?

And sure this has been mentioned as nasuem but DW4 never asked to be part of the hiring process, this was something Cal publicly offered to him.

Rudyc281 and conquistador#11 like this.
  3. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think people here need to understand that the narrative by the media is controlled by people who have a personal or vested interest in Watson going to another team.

About 20 or so NFL markets have media reporters that are hoping Watson leaves the Texans. And then you have the big media markets like NY, LA, Chicago, SF also begging for Watson to leave and maybe have a small chance at landing on their team.

So the media is disproportionately going to root for Watson leaving.

Rudyc281, UTSA2step, gatsby and 5 others like this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

so why do people in this thread (and the media, though as @fchowd0311 correctly notes they’re way biased) keep implying DW was “lied to”

Bobbythegreat and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. gucci888

Because it sounds like he was. If Cal said you’d be part of the hiring process but at the end, he just picked someone and you find out via Twitter, were you really part of the process then? That’s like going house hunting with your wife, looking at different houses, discussing pros and cons, etc...Then suddenly just picking a house and her finding out after you already bought it.

Look Cal is the owner and he obviously has every right to pick his GM, coach and whoever else for that matter. However, the perception is that despite publicly touting a full on search involving Korn Ferry, an advisory committee, DW4, etc...Easterby swooped in the last minute and talked Cal into hiring the one guy that wasn’t going go against him. We can argue all we want but perception is reality.

Cal and the Texans look like absolute fools. Truth doesn’t really matter at this point.

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Leaks by Watson camp?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

This whole franchise including, ownership, the clergy, watson, can go to hell. New franchise that's never accomplished anything wouldn't be missed. They are as irrelevant as anything could be.

9. JayZ750

I'm still confused. You just said DW didn’t ask to be part of the process.

so given that your analogy doesn’t make any sense. More appropriate wound be “wife, in running this process but I’ll take your input”.

that’s what happened yes?

Easterby could have done whatever he wanted and Cal as well as you noted.

and perception isn’t reality... because aside from the select few who have dug into it, the perception is this is all on the Texans... when the reality is, as has been repeated ad made in, DW backed BOB endlessly.

The reality is the team would be in a 100% different situation if BOB was fired after the Chiefs loss... which would have been EASY to have happened.

10. gucci888

Okay but if you seemingly didn’t take any of her input, or anyone else’s for that matter, what was the point of asking for it?

As I’ve asked you, maybe a few times now, what would you expect DW4 to say when asked about BoB? You asked if any other players backed him and the answer is yes, JJ Watt did. He straight up said BoB excelled at his GM duties, and yes that was after the Hopkins trade.

You say it would have been easy to fire BoB following the Chiefs game but there is ZERO indication Cal was even considering that. In fact, Cal gave him a promotion.

11. JayZ750

hmmm... I wonder why Cal gave him a promotion.

if I ask someone for their input and then make a different decision it doesn’t mean I’ve ignored their input completely. It means I made a different decision.

sometimes in my job my boss takes my input sometimes he doesn’t. When he doesn’t I don’t freak out about it lol.

if there’s a long history of him not taking my input, being mean to me, whatever maybe then I’d have a problem with it. But whenever there are “important” things to discuss, we sit down and discuss them like adults.

JJ Watt eventually was the one that forced the BOB firing. He was also never as going ho about BOB as DW. And finally he hasn’t made the spectacle of wanting out of Houston like DW has, especially not after signing a mega extension.

TheFreak likes this.
  12. gucci888

Like I said, Cal has every right to make these decisions unilaterally and he has seemingly done so on multiple occasions. Firing Gaine, going with a GM by committee, keeping Easterby, hiring Caserio, etc...So I question why all of a sudden it’s DW4’s fault for one of them.

And if Cal took DW4’s endorsement during a post game press conference following a playoff game as reasoning to promote BoB, that is even more of an indictment that Cal is a complete imbecile and horrible owner.

UTSA2step and conquistador#11 like this.
  13. JayZ750

cal isn’t a great owner.

AND

DW made this bed.

we know Cal took some of those endorsements and endorsements because we saw what happened when JJ finally spoke up against BOB.

14. gucci888

Lol JJ got into at argument with BoB on the practice field. There has been nothing that JJ went to Cal and spoke against BoB. Remember when Brady and BoB got into a yelling match during a game? Guessing that was Brady speaking up against BoB too?

15. JayZ750

yes, exactly, what they do impacts Cals decisions. That’s the point.

16. gucci888

Sure so no it’s not just that “Cal isn’t a great owner” like you said. He is incompetent and a complete moron. Why would you want to deflect some ofthe blame from that? Ultimately that is the underlying issue correct? It’s not a player sticking up for his coach following a game nor is it a player getting into an argument on the practice field.

#1496 gucci888, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's a shame Watson couldn't find his balls before BOB destroyed the team.... only now that they are trying to rebuild from what Watson's buddy did to the team does he take a stand....a time where It's inappropriate and counter productive

JayZ750 likes this.
  18. JayZ750

two things can be true.

Cal can be horrible...

And this can STILL be DWs fault as much as Cals.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  19. DCRocket

DCRocket Member

Please just ignore jay. He’s made up his mind. Let him live in his bubble that only public statements matter. The real world will keep moving on.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/08/mmqb-super-bowl-lv-tom-brady-tampa-bay-buccaneers-champions

Houston’s still got a problem. Where are we? Just where we told you we were last week. Deshaun Watson’s not returning calls from new GM Nick Caserio or new coach David Culley. The Texans are giving other teams that call them a hard no. And round and round we go. Caserio in particular is really between a rock and a hard place on this one. Neither outcome is particularly great. Either …

1) He trades Watson, establishes that a superstar can shoot his way out of town right off the bat and makes Houston the NFL’s version of Elba even more so than it is now. Yes, he could get a nice return. Yes, maybe that’s the second or third pick and his QB of the future. But acquiescing in a situation like this is a tough Ground Zero for any new brass to start on.

2) He hangs onto Watson, and Watson holds firm—which creates an incredibly difficult environment for Culley to try and establish his program under. Maybe Watson winds up reporting in the summer. Maybe not. But there are six months between now and then to navigate for a coaching staff trying to get to know the roster and get that roster to buy into what they’re doing.

Of course, the best case scenario for Caserio and Culley is that Watson eventually agrees to meet with them, separate from owner Cal McNair and EVP Jack Easterby, and those guys can establish relationships with their quarterback. The problem with that? I don’t know that even that sort of meeting would solve much, since Watson’s issue is with McNair and Easterby. Which means that might have to be fixed first. And I don’t know that it can be fixed.

Houston’s situation is why Jacksonville shouldn’t even pick up the phone when calls on Watson come in. The Texans have inexplicably screwed up a most valuable commodity—a quarterback capable of being among the five best in the world at his position. Lots of quarterbacks are discussed in these sorts of conversation. Few are actually capable of getting to that level. Watson’s there. And all the quarterback scrambling happening now is indicative of how having one is increasingly important. What the Rams told you last week was they felt like, in a Patrick Mahomes world, just being good at quarterback probably won’t be good enough for the foreseeable future. Winning with a Joe Flacco or a Brad Johnson probably isn’t happening again any time soon. So if you have one? Hold onto him tightly. The Texans are trying to now, much as Watson might not want to be there. The Bills and Chargers have guys physically capable of getting there. And the Jaguars are on the doorstep of getting one with the ability not just to get to that level, but maybe someday even rival Mahomes. So, again, Urban Meyer, if someone calls, we’ve got one simple word of advice for you on what to do: Click.

Shark44 and UTSA2step like this.