1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ScheftBomb! Watson formally requests trade

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

These two latest articles say a lot.

It’s not just Deshaun, even veteran players from the Texans are telling him to get out of here and get his own.

That certainly doesn’t sound like the narrative some McNair/Easterby enthusiasts are trying to spin.

Nook likes this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Who is eager about Easterby and Cal? I haven’t seen a single person supporting them.
    And Deshaun already got his. The problem is he’s wanting more and he was a part (small part) in the dysfunction.
    This isn’t a one side or the other. It’s a everyone has blame, Cal and the charlatan shouldering most of it.

Sooty and JayGoogle like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

"We just need a whole culture shift. We just need new energy. We need discipline, we need structure, we need a leader so we can follow that leader as players. That’s what we need. We’ve got to have the love of not just the game of football because that’s what we do, but the love for people and the people in this organization. We’ve all got to be on the same page. There’s too many different minds, too many different ideas and too many people who think they have this power and it’s not like that. We need someone that stands tall and this is who we’re following and this is the way it goes, like I said yesterday after the game, and we’re going to do it this way to win."

Houston Texans CEO Cal McNair still is contemplating what direction he wants to take his franchise with its head coach and general manager openings and has solicited many opinions, including those of quarterback Deshaun Watson.

McNair told ESPN this past week that he recently had dinner with Watson, and the direction of the Texans' franchise came up during their conversation. McNair wanted to hear Watson's thoughts and opinions on who should be the next head coach, and Watson shared his opinions with McNair.

McNair told ESPN that he welcomes Watson's input, respects his opinion and wants the star quarterback to be happy.

McNair also confirmed that he has hired the search firm Korn Ferry to assist him with his head coach and GM search.

Being consulted by Cal McNair on the Texans' next head coach is meaningful to Deshaun Watson.

The Pro Bowl quarterback isn't on the Texans' search committee and won't choose his coach, but Watson will be a valued opinion and resource for McNair, the team's chairman and chief operating officer.

The Texans have a search committee that includes McNair and team president Jamey Rootes and the executive search firm Korn-Ferry led by Jed Hughes. They also have a group of advisors that includes Tony Dungy, Jimmy Johnson, R.C. Buford, Andre Johnson and Rod Graves.

"I mean, they just put a lot of trust in me and what things he wants and what I want, and just as a whole, as an organization where we want to go forward from here," Watson said. "We've got to make decisions and go from there. But yeah, that was pretty much it. A lot of respect between me and Mr. McNair."

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson is upset with the organization because he wanted to have a voice in the team's hiring process.

Watson met late in the season with chairman and chief operating officer Cal McNair and expressed his wishes to be involved, according to multiple league sources not authorized to speak publicly. The conversations led Watson to believe that he would have input only to be left out in the decision to hire Nick Caserio as general manager.

Watson isn't upset with the choice of Caserio, but sources emphasized that Watson simply wanted to give his opinion on job candidates and wasn't told the team was hiring Caserio before an agreement in principle was reached Tuesday night.

Watson offered input on potential general manager candidates, but the Texans neither considered nor consulted with those endorsed by their franchise quarterback, league sources told ESPN.

Additionally, the Texans did not inform Watson that they intended to hire Caserio, and he found out about the hire Tuesday on social media. That contributed to Watson taking to Twitter that night to post, "some things never change...."

Watson had met with Texans owner Cal McNair in several instances, sharing thoughts on certain candidates who came highly recommended, with Watson suggesting that the team at least talk to them, sources told ESPN. He did not expect Houston to hire those he endorsed, but Watson was hoping the Texans would respect the feelings of the group of teammates he was trying to represent, sources told ESPN.

The Texans, however, did not act on their quarterback's thoughts and charged ahead with a hire that mattered to a much smaller circle than the one Watson was trying to aid, sources told ESPN.

Even if the Texans didn't want to move forward with any of Watson's recommended candidates, sources told ESPN that Watson wanted to at least have the opportunity to meet with ownership's finalists so he could offer thoughts from a player standpoint to benefit the team -- and then the Texans could hire who they wanted. That opportunity never came.

Had the Houston Texans stayed the course and followed the recommendation of the search firm Korn Ferry, they likely would have hired Pittsburgh Steelers vice president of football and business administration Omar Khan as their next general manager, league sources told ESPN.

Khan and ESPN Monday Night Football analyst Louis Riddick, who are both minority candidates, were the two finalists before Texans owner Cal McNair changed his mind, ignored the recommendation of the search firm he paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do weeks of work and hired former New England Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio, sources said.

Multiple people in the Texans organization, including quarterback Deshaun Watson, were upset with how Houston's search took a sudden and unexpected turn, hiring a man that Korn Ferry did not include on its list of candidates.

Watson is said to be furious over the decision, and others are as well, with some saying that there will be employees who wind up leaving the organization during the offseason.

Watson had been assured by McNair that he would be involved in the process to hire a new coach and general manager and kept in the loop on the progress in those searches, but that didn't happen.

For any Texans fans worried quarterback Deshaun Watson could be traded, forget about it.

Under no circumstances will the Texans trade Watson, who’s coming off an extraordinary season for a 4-12 team.

Pro Football Talk raised the possibility Thursday of Watson asking to be traded, and even if he does ask, he’s not going anywhere.

The Texans aren’t foolish enough to trade one of the NFL’s best quarterbacks who’s playing under a $156 million contract through the 2025 season.

McClain, Scarface and all Texans mouthpieces WRONG WRONG WRONG. Talk about striking out. Golden sombrero. Platinum Sombrero.

JACk wiLL Not be a pRObLeM
    jaCK will not bE INVoLved & WILl nOT hirE tHE NeXt gm
    new GM WiLl dEcIDe JAcK’s FatE
    jACk wiLl qUiETly FADe Away INTo THe bAcKgroUND
    DeSHaUn wiLL nOt bE TrADed. AbSoLuTEly NoT.
    I hAvE a BeTtER cHaNcE oF bEcOmInG nExT tExANs CoAcH tHaN DeShAUn hAs Of bEinG tRadEd.

“HoNoR tHe CoNtRaCt.”

Cool, I hope the Texans honor J.J. Watt’s, David Johnson’s, Brandin Cooks’, Whitney Mercilus’, Bradley Roby’s, Nick Martin’s, Benardrick McKinney’s contracts. Don’t cut or trade those guys. YOU SIGNED THEM TO THAT CONTRACT. (Or acquired them, fully knowing their contract.) HONOR THAT CONTRACT!

ShOuLdN’t HaVe SigNeD tHe ExTeNsIon.

LOL Yeah, he’d totally be “free” then! He’d be here for another 2 years instead of 4. He’d be going into the last year of his rookie deal(2021) and then the Texans would franchise him 2 years after that.

Sham GM search
    Sham coach search
    Sham franchise

Never about finding the “best” candidates, just candidates we’re comfortable with, we’re familiar with, those that think exactly like me/we do.

No Robert Saleh, no Arthur Smith, no Brian Daboll, only interviewed Bieniemy after Watson got upset. No college coaches.

Coaches no one wanted.
    65 year old WR coach
    66 year old retread
    61 year old DC

“Yeah but he really hit it off at the Pro Bowl with Culley!” ... lulz
    “Yeah but we’re gonna keep his OC Tim Kelly!” ... lulz

Paid for a search committee LOL
    Put together another fake committee LOL

Saw their greatest player in franchise history rip them to shreds. “Stand your ground! Texans are known for wasting careers!” aka GTFO of there Deshaun! (Andre’s a “loser”, “b****”! amirite)
    Saw their other greatest player in franchise history apologize for wasting a year of his career. He’ll probably wants out/will be gone too. (J.J.’s a “loser”, “b****”! amirite)
    Saw Arian Foster rip them. (Arian’s a “loser”, “b****”! amirite)
    Jamey Rootes is probably leaving after 21 years. I guess he’s a “loser”, “b****” too!?

Anyways, usual suspects will come in here and blast Watson. Good, good. Just the suckers McNair & Easterbunny are looking for. :D Deshaun will be gone soon enough and he’ll “shut up and football” elsewhere.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

PLOT TWIST! Or... PLOT TWIST?

Hopefully, PLOT TWIST!

mikol13, Omihall23, gatsby and 8 others like this.
  5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

So DW4 will report to mini camp?

ROXRAN and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Who knows? That feels like a resetting of the narrative by the Watson camp, which might bode well to them being open to working it out?...

Again, I keep going back to what his end game is?... If he thinks this is the NBA, he's in for a rude awakening, I think...

UTSA2step, desihooper and Fulgore like this.
  7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

True. Elite young qbs are never traded. If Deshaun gets his wish I think a lot more qbs might follow in the near future.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Deshaun about to record every conversation he has lol just wait. We'll hear it eventually, when they say something stupid.

9. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

I can't wait for McClain to write an article regarding Deshaun's agents last tweet saying, see I told you he wasn't going to get traded....only to have Watson traded away the next day....

10. conquistador#11

Damn! Sticky J.R's reply!

RasaqBoi, Omihall23 and Sooty like this.
  11. Texanstradamus

At this point we don’t know what Deshaun wants and we can say we don’t know what’s happening inside the Texans media these media ppl don’t have a clue tbh

UTSA2step likes this.
  12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

We know he wants out. Neither side has refuted that. How far is he willing to go to get his way will be the biggest question mark.

Nook likes this.
  13. gucci888

Eh could just be his agent calling out someone’s bs. Sileo is apparently a huge jackass so think this is likely the case.

But I do expect Watson’s camp to keep control of the narrative mainly because I don’t think the Texans have any clue how to. So expect to hear and read more about Cal and Easterby’s shenanigans, more players wanting out, support of DW4, etc...

Nook and UTSA2step like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Truth likely always somewhere in the middle...

But at this point, what do you think is the more plausible scenario:

1.). Deshaun, after saying he wanted a culture shift and just several months after signing a lift-altering extension decides he just randomly no longer wants to be a Texan and would rather play in a “big” market so he can get some Kansas City Pat Mahomes-like endorsements... and that he’s been planning this move ever since he hoodwinked everybody to give him the extension?

2.) A preacher and an alleged alcoholic, who neither have really ever run any sort of successful business and certainly have no experience with building winning NFL teams... truly have no idea what they’re doing and are oblivious that their actions/decisions are alienating the entire locker-room?

15. Texanstradamus

well his agent coming out saying that is false about him not reporting makes you think

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Certainly don't recall the last time, but we've seen power moves by Elway & Manning pre-draft to avoid destinations they didn't want.

Carson Palmer is closest I can think of, but was 30/31 when he retired rather than play for the Bengals. Raiders gave up 2 first rounders IIRC.

17. gucci888

#2 for me although I think #1 has become somewhat of a factor. And while we see Mahomes on tv a lot, read that his total endorsements only comes out to $7M per year, $2M coming from State Farm alone. JJ is making $7M right now Gatorade, Subway, Reebok, HEB, etc...Both him and Harden were top 10 endorsement earners in their respective league. Funny that a lot of the top earners in the NFL aren't in a lot of commercials unlike the NBA.

But to me, DW4 is seeing what most of us are seeing. An owner who has made a lot of bad decisions since taking over which has resulted in a 4-10 season, a horribly constructed roster, low draft capital, almost zero cap space, and now a head coach that no one can really wrap their head around. And that is just from a pure football standpoint, not mentioning Easterby and whatever the heck he is doing over on Kirby.

Nook and Sooty like this.
  18. gucci888

To me, I don’t think he’s saying DW4 would report. But more that he hasn’t informed the Texans of anything as Sileo is saying.

Nook likes this.
  19. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

How can we get the national media to stop using McClain as a source. That fool is about as credible as Cal McNair. I just hate reading an article and finding out that McClain is their source, it wastes valuable seconds of my time.

UTSA2step, Sooty and Remix like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because nobody in Houston... fans or other media members... have ever really called him out on his bullshit.