1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub's little daughter, is that permanent?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Blurr#7, Nov 22, 2012.

1. AXG

AXG Member

I had the same thing when I was a kid. Yes, it can be corrected.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Just some extra info, but people can have pseudo exotropia (XT)/esotropia (ET), that is they look like they have it but they really don't. It's usually due to one's natural anatomical features, mainly pupillary distance (PD). A larger PD will make you look pseudo-XT and a smaller PD will make you look pseudo-ET. Camera angles can certainly play tricks and exaggerate the difference.

Best thing you can do to diagnose a true strabismus will be to see an eye professional, whether it's an optometrist or ophthalmologist.

Everything else about Schaub's daughter has been mentioned by others.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The two exercises I still do (when I need to do them) are called the "Lifesaver Card" and the "Brock String".

The Lifesaver Card is a card with to circles on it that look like Lifesavers. One is green and the other is red. Each has letters around the circle that say "CLEAR THESE LETTERS". What you do is cross your eyes so that the right eye is looking at the circle on the left and the left eye is looking at the circle on the right. You try to "fuse" the two circles together so that they form one circle. It's kind of like 3D without the glasses. The letters on each circle are slightly offset from one another so you get more of a 3D effect. Some letters pop out towards you while others appear farther away. While fusing the circles into a single image, you move your head up and down, up and down, repeatedly. Then you look left and right repeatedly. Then you go clockwise around the circle and then finally counter clockwise. There are 4 sets of circles on the card. They start out somewhat close together but then get progressively farther apart. The farther apart the circles, the harder it is to fuse them. Also, on the 3rd and 4th sets, some letters may be missing from one circle or the other which makes fusing the letters even harder.

If you have a card that's printed on clear plastic, you can also "look through" the card while trying to fuse the image. Instead the the fused circle popping out in front of the card, it appears behind the card. It's the opposite of crossing your eyes. This is harder to do than the other way.

The Brock String is a long string with colored beads on it. You place the beads at different lengths. You tie one end of the string to a doorknob or other sturdy surface and you hold the other end to the tip of your nose, right between your eyes. When you look at one bead, you only see one bead, but two strings intersecting it, forming an "X" where it intersects the bead. You see 2 of the other beads. This is what happens in normal vision, we just tend not to notice it. When we lose at something close, each eye turns so that they focus on a single spot in space, but past that spot, the line of vision from each eye crosses and object further away appear double. We just block it out. When I started losing binocular vision, instead of seeing double, my brain just blocked out the vision (or part of it) from one eye. This is called "suppression". The Brock String makes you aware of if you're suppressing or not. If you hold the string up to your eyes and you focus on a bead and you only see one string or if one string fades in and out, it means you're suppressing the image from one eye.

When I was in therapy I did a lot more, in the office and at home, but these are the 2 I always come back to if I feel my alignment starting to slip a little.

2 people like this.
  4. today

today Contributing Member

Those exercises sound a lot more helpful than my popsicle stick 30 years ago =)

You mentioned "fuse" and I recall the doctor using that term this last time with our kids, saying they have great fusion and they can't "break them up" when using those clear triangular blocks.

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Thanks for the thread OP. Was wondering the same thing.

6. underrated015

underrated015 Member

yes, thats all that matters.

7. Raven

Raven Member

This thread is disgusting, Just because it was on Reddit doesn't mean it should spread (like a STD) to here.

8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Honestly, I don't like to be the Moral Police but ******* man, draw the line somewhere.

Your excuses are bull**** OP, if you were legit wondering about the condition then research or post about that specific eye problem. You knew what you were doing when you posted that pic you disrespectful little ****.

2 people like this.
  9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Oh, also, a strabismus often leads to amblyopia, especially a constant esotropia. Like you said, amblyopia is visual perception disorder where the brain does not develop good vision out of the amblyopic eye without any pathology. There are three types: strabismic, refractive, and form-deprived.

You can help strengthen this "lazy eye" by forcing it to work. You can force it to work by making the other eye not work, and that can be done with an eye patch or dilating drops. The more the "lazy eye" works, the better your brain is at developing that vision with that eye.

Another misconception of "lazy eye" is droopy eyelids called ptosis. Ptosis is when the eyelids are partially closed compared to normal.

Amblyopia and ptosis are often referred to as "lazy eye", and it is misleading when they are two completely different conditions. Another common term dreaded by eyecare professionals is "pink eye".

2 people like this.
  10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wow, very informative thread. Since I don't know anyone with this condition, I never knew any of this. Sorry to hear that twitter blasted her. But that's one reason why I never bother with twitter.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Says the guy with the fake Royce White twitter.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Racist.

13. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

geezus, people, chill out on the OP.

He was just a little curious and worry about schaub's kid.

so you're disgust at someone who showed that they care about someone else's child? :confused:

i'm disgusted at the the people who are disgusted.

human beings................sometimes i wish i was never born

1 person likes this.
  14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

At least she doesn't have Schaub's death stare.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It just shows you how many a##holes we have in this country.

16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Really is good to know all this info, she is absolutely adorable. I did some research before i posted but couldn't really get a solid answer on what of how extreme her condition is, that's why I asked.

17. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

Really? If it were a grown woman with crossed eyes no one would say that, but because it's a kid there's this obligation to pity them in the form of lies that no one actually connected to them will read

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I feel like I've learned a lot from this thread.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I didn't see it live, so I wasn't aware it was a condition. Figured the kid just crossed her eyes for a moment.

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Let me explain it to you you.
    You could have asked your question without mentioning Schaub or his daughter, or showing a picture. I have an eye condition similar to this and it is very noticeable. I had surgery peformed two times when I was a child, but the surgery did not help and I have lived with the condition my entire life. I do not view my eye condition as a handicap as I can see fine and it's never bothered me. People occasionally ask me about my eyes and I explain that I have an eye condition and that causes my eyes to look a little strange. It doesn't bother me that they have questions, and I have become accustomed to people being curious.

However, my parents were absolutely crushed that I had this condition and have felt guilty about it ever since I was born. It wasn't their fault I had this condition, but they still felt bad about it. All parents want their children to be perfect, and the last thing they want is for people to point out their children's birth defects to the world. I can assure you that Schaub and his wife don't appreciate people posting pictures of his daughter and asking questions. Just ask the question without naming names and posting pictures. I understand that you weren't trying to be uncaring or callous, but parents are very sensitive when it comes their children.

I understand that surgery is now much more effective than it was many years ago, so hopefully she can have this condition corrected.