1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub the ELITE

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Oct 1, 2012.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am saying I don't know if it is Kubes that won't give up that control, or Schaub has it and is not good at using it.

It is pretty clear that not much audiblizing is going on though - and at the end of the year, when teams had figured out the Texans, it would have been nice to see someone mix it up some.

Just not sure if it is the coach who is ultra conservative or the QB or both.

DD

2. AbrahamLincoln

I think the person who goes under the radar is Dennison. When he was hired our offense struggled. It got better and now it is off the rails again. I know a lot of people think Kubiak is a dictator when it comes to play calling but I would imagine that Dennison is right there in his ear with calls. I think Schaub can audible if he would like but most plays are run out of the play action and I think that style might lead to less audibles. Our predictability can also be the fault of our RT and RG. IT was an obvious weakness.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Thanks, man. E-hug?

I appreciate your perspective; I think every fan base is divided by the emotional and the analytical.

4. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

This thread has surely changed since Oct. 1, 2012.

5. Raven

Raven Member

It's going to be a long offseason, very long.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I think this is fair.

If Schaub IS allowed to audible, he surely isn't doing it much. What that tells me is, either he's not reading the defense well or he doesn't have the stones to do it.

If Schaub is NOT allowed then that tells me Kubiak thinks everything he calls is going to work or he doesn't have faith Schaub will make the right call. I tend to think Kubiak's ego gets the best of him when calling plays.

7. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Still doesn't top that rollercoaster known as the VY, the GREAT thread.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't even know what I'm arguing about in these Texans threads half the time. I think the collapse has tilted me. I feared it, braced for it, and it still sucked. There's always next season.

9. msn

msn Member

how very sanctimonious of you. you didn't look up ad hominem, I assume.

So, to recap: I'm unable to face reality, out-of-touch with facts, and about to have a stroke. Oh, and I need to relax.

To answer your questions: I'm not sure what my opinion is of Schaub anymore. Before the last six games, there really (to me) wasn't an argument between Schaub and Flacco. Schaub was head-and-shoulders better.

But as you astutely point out, those six games count. So, was it a temporary swoon in his game? An undisclosed injury? Does he lack the mental capacity to perform under higher pressure? 33 isn't really that old for a QB, so if he's "done", that will be a sad case indeed. All of those things are a possibility, and I don't have an opinion on it because I'm underinformed (as are, by the way, pretty much all of us in this forum).

If you forced my hand, I would say I don't expect much more from him than what we've seen already and I hope the Texans in the next couple years will draft accordingly. But that is a *guess*, and I know it.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think having grown up with the Oilers, this was a lot easier for me. I was totally expecting disappointment...and you could just see the trend of where this team was going. The collapse wasn't sudden...like in Denver or Buffalo in years past for the Oilers. It was a long time coming, and the defense started freaking me out as early as the J-Ville game. I was just ready for it.

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I see what you're saying and I was trying hard to be ready for it too. I wasn't really all that mad the day of the Patriots game. I saw it unfolding and was thinking that none of it surprised me. I think the weeks after got to me in seeing other flawed teams succeed and thinking there was such a lost opportunity for the Texans to make deep run. I remember the Bills debacle in my childhood...I think I was throwing toys around, and the KC Montana game was very disappointing b/c of the win streak...but something about this season. I think I just bought into the national "best team" hype. And to go from there to a 2 month free fall...it didn't hurt as much on the day of the playoff loss, but it has stewed since then.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

For me, the season was effectively over when we lost to the colts. I knew we had NO SHOT WHATSOEVER at winning a playoff game in NE.

Actually, after the vikings loss, I remember hearing that Pagano would be back for the game against us and thinking to myself "season over."

So yeah...I had about 3 weeks to prepare mentally for what I KNEW was going to happen in NE.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

For sure. When you have lived and (mostly) died with Houston teams you just begin to expect failure. What I'm hoping against hope is that Wade's past history doesn't repeat itself once again because if that were to happens, they would indeed be done.

14. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

For me the "you never know" factor left after the horrible loss to a depleted Packers team at home.

Then it became AFC Championship aspirations. That left after the Patriots game.

Th Colts/Vikings losses were just apathetic bullets to the head.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

That seems ridiculous. You must be the most pessimistic fan to have ever lived.

You thought they no longer had a shot at the Super Bowl after they lost in a blowout to a championship-caliber team, dropping from 5-0 to 5-1. And a 30 point win against a then-very-solid-Ravens team did nothing for you? Or how about a win against a solid Bears team that took them to 8-1? After that I could understand some questioning. Even if you thought the Bears win was questionable, ok.

But if going from 5-0 to 5-1 against a very good team means your shot at a title is gone...that can't be a very fun way to watch sports

16. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

We're stuck with Schaub for at least two seasons so now he needs to be protected:

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If we didn't have Schaub, we wouldn't need to protect our QB.

18. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Probably the best line in this whole thread.... hahaha

19. oelman44

oelman44 Member

When has a scrambling QB stayed relevant for over 1, maybe a few years max? Vick had one great season a few years ago, Vince Young had a good rookie season and we know how that turned out, RG3 is already getting torn apart. I'm still convinced that rushing QB's is more of a fad then the new design for QB success.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

The way the Texans use Matt Schaub, no mobile QB would ever get sacked. For christ sakes Matt Schaub rarely gets hit, and he goes fetal at first sign of pressure.