1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schaub ranked #9 on Jaw's top 32 NFL QBs...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TheRealist137, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Grinds

Grinds Member

According to this, you think the EXACT way I intended. And the messed up part is Schaub can move! He's just scary. Don't know if people respect Dilfer as a commentator, but he said the main ingredient in a QB is toughness. If you lack toughness it leads to so many F ups under pressure (i.e. throws aways, sacks, ints, MNF, SNF, playoffs).

Funny thing is a dude like Dilfer was used against me in this thread. I'd take Dilfer this season over Schaub. Keep in mind QB rules are better now for QBs than when actually won an SB. That bullish Matt pulled on 3rd and 5 against NE makes me damn near take Carson Palmer this season.

2. Grinds

Grinds Member

Most GM's would take that receiving core (+Dre) if they had AF. Brown, and Myers. Schaub QB rating is greatly aided by rushing, playaction, and weak ass checkdowns. Also, I kinda believe/hope Matt was injuried down the stretch last season. He's not great, but he's not that bad.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

He's certainly not one of the best. By QB rating he was 8th last year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/sigpap1.png

If you go by YPA, then he's 7th among those 10 players. He also has BY FAR the biggest advantage of those 10 QBs when you factor in RB+OLine+% of runs. The factors that generally determine how likely teams are going to bite on the play action.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yes, he's certainly not the best, but being 8th in rating and 7th in YPA is pretty damn good. Regardless of what RB or line he has, half the QBs in the NFL cant perform better than he has, which is what people are claiming.

5. the shark

the shark Member

The last ten Super Bowl winners:

Ravens--defense gave up 31 pts
    Giants --have an elite qb with Eli
    GB--have Rodgers
    NO--have Brees
    Pitt--have Ben
    Giants--Eli
    Colts--Peyton
    Pitt-Ben
    NE--Brady
    NE--Brady

Some of these teams had a good defense but they also had an elite qb who didn't make stupid mistakes!!!

You act like people are off base about their concerns about Schaub. It's not about his arm, but it's about his decision making ability in big games. Would it be great to have another qb? Yes. I agree with you that finding a good qb is tough, but the question here is whether or not the qb we have is good enough to help win a Super Bowl?

I don't think the Texans defense is going to be good enough to shut down the elite qbs come playoff time. Specifically talking about going up against Peyton and Brady in the AFC. In order for the Texans to get consistent pressure they're usually having to blitz. In fact they blitzed more than any team in the league last yr if I'm not mistaken.

Guys like Peyton and Brady will go after the weakest link on the D time and time again. So in my opinion the only way we have a chance of beating these teams in the playoffs is to beat them in a shoot out. So it's on Schaub (with the weapons he has) to put some points on the board. Talking like 28-35. The problem that Schaub has is being able to get TD's in the red zone against elite teams and having to settle for FGs way too much.

You can also count on Schaub to throw a INT at THE worst time as well.

The only hope that I have is Flacco lead the Ravens to the Super Bowl last yr. The Ravens D wasn't dominate last yr, but Flacco caught fire and didn't make stupid mistakes. So if Flacco can do it (who I didn't think much of) hopefully Schaub can as well.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's so funny to see Eli listed as an elite QB.

I know this will sound weird when you read it, but if you think it through you'll get what I mean.

If Eli didn't have two runs to the superbowl, you'd all feel the same way about him as you do about Schaub. That he couldn't do it. You only put him in the category of those who can because he did it.

He and Schaub are very similar, with Eli being MORE mistake prone, barely having a higher YPC, etc.

The one thing Eli has is that he consistently leads 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives each year. Of course, Schaub is hindered by the fact that his team is rarely in that position. Either they are winning or the defense has been blown apart because they are playing a team that has paid attention the last few years and knows that if you just throw all day against the Texans you'll light them up.

7. justtxyank

It's not just elite QBs honestly, it's any team that throws consistently against us. The defense is weak against the pass. Teams that try to run against us are making a huge mistake.

I don't think it's on Schaub that this team can't score in the red zone. Go back and watch the tape and look at the routes being run. Kubiak is very unimaginative. He does not attack the end zone. The Texans offense is designed to gain positive yards and he doesn't change it up when you can score.

LOL Eli LOL

That's the spirit! I look at Flacco and Eli and say that if they can do it Schaub can do it.

8. conquistador#11

to get to the superbowl, you know those playoff rounds, Big Ben needed that Defense and O line to step up huge. What you guys are missing is that those defenses played at an ELITE level one the playoffs began, regardless the average D they had throughout the season. It's all about putting four phases together for a playoff run, offense, defense, special teams and luck! please go back and look at the history of the playoff rounds. lol peyton manning and playoff performance ! don't make me laugh. :p

Rodgers only won his because it urlacher that picked off his pass and not briggs. And I'll tell you what.. with so much money going to the "elite", it doesn't allow the TEAM to patch up their defenses to the level that they were during the superbowl run, unless they hit in the draft. This means Packers will be another early round exit, Manning too, Brees will go 7-9 for the FOURTH time as a SAINT. So we're all on the same boat.

Patriots on the other hand. They've drafted well on defense this year and last. If brady tones down on the "eliteness" and pounds the clock with the run and defense, they might go back to winning superbowls, something they haven't done in almost a decade.;)

9. Grinds

Grinds Member

None of those QBs play scared like Schaub. Playmaking usually increases INTs, yet Matt has never posted a 2/1 TD-INT ratio season.. all the other QBs have. That same "scare" mentality is likely what has Schaub subpar on national TV. We can hopefully win with him, but everything else needs to go well. Defense and run game must return to '11 level.

10. Grinds

Grinds Member

My bad, Matt did have 24/12 one year playing 16 games.. but he's gotta sow it up on national tv. Playoffs are all national. Hopkins adds hope as KW was prob the worst #2 in the league.

11. conquistador#11

seems like all of us are in mid season form with the bickering and ready to roll! let week 1 begin =)

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

is there a good time to throw an INT?

13. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

yes beginning in the game, when you can still recover

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

ok, i give up.

15. Grinds

Grinds Member

Games not nationally televised.

16. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

ehehehehehehehehehehe

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

So you can throw 2 ints in a local-only game and WIN against a GOOD team.

But play mistake free ball no int on national game against an EASY team and LOSE , then thats better?

"but he didnt throw a pick tho in national spotlight!"

18. the shark

the shark Member

"If Eli didn't have TWO runs to the SUPER BOWL"

"The one thing Eli has is that he CONSISTENTLY LEADS 4th quarter comebacks and GAME WINNING drives EACH year"

And you think it's funny to see Eli listed as an elite qb?

You might want to rethink that comment.

19. Grinds

Grinds Member

Followed the thread? The comment was Schaub related. I'll take any win assuming no players got hurt/suspended. Schaub plays a GOOD team, plays like DIRT, team gets BLOWNOUT, on national TV, 3x same season.

20. justtxyank

If Schaub wins a Super Bowl does that mean he really was elite this whole time? The giants end up in more situations for a comeback because Eli plays poorly during the rest of the game. Schaub is rarely behind in the fourth if the game is winnable. If they are behind it usually means they are being whipped.